The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Black Bat

From a historical standpoint of this pulp hero I believe the Black Bat was not known for having a clearly defined "rogues" gallery of villains like The Spider or some other comic book characters like Batman. I think he mostly stuck to fighting common criminals and such. I'm not saying we have to stick to the history of the character because this is a modernized version and I am always up for different writer's interpretation of the character. But a part of me kind of wants The Black Bat to maintain being a pulp comic about fighting an endless battle against a city in a continual downward spiral, which is a story that does not necessarily require any fantastic villains. Maybe a lot of focus could be on political corruption and organized crime, especially with all of his ties to being an attorney for criminals. I feel that with characters like the Spider, we already get that sort of pulp story with some fantastic villains. It might be interesting to explore some other pulp story focus points. For now I like the pace of the story because we are getting a sort of year one story to clearly define the character. I like how we are exploring what makes the him tick and the redemptive story line. I am not sure what the group of people that gave the Black Bat his training and eyes have in store for him in the future so we will have to wait and see how that plays out. It could be that some specific villains get introduced and I'm sure I would still really enjoy the title. I just think right now it is in a position to define the type of pulp story to be different than the already existing titles. In the end it has to be interesting enough to keep readers on board.

Comment

• I agree about the lack of braun within the pulp rouges gallery, there should be a nice mix of the common thug, the brainiac who is smarter than thou, and the muscled freak who's out to break bones. But as for where the story in Black Bat goes, I'd love to see him continue to establish himself as The Black Bat to the city, let them absorb him and eventually fear him, then we can finally be introduced to the villain who shows no fear. Yes, the villain who laughs in the face of The Black Bat and does what he wants. His arch-enemy.

This could lead into a nice 5-6 issue arch where The Bat encounters him and suffers a serious loss allowing the villain to escape, leading the hero to wonder what went wrong and to vow never to let it happen again. Then maybe some 10-12 issues later the nemesis returns and starts to tinker with Bat's personal life, leaving him in anguish. This would lead to a massive encounter, of course, in which The Black Bat finally wins and the enemy goes into hiding for a while before returning in a major story-arch. So many possibilities here I could scream, I'm just banking on good comics.

Comment

• I've just decided to start referring to the new era of #PulpComics as #PulpX, I tweeted Dynamite and they liked it so much I got a re-tweet and they asked their readers what they thought of it! I've never seen a comic book company so in touch with their readers, it's amazing, Valiant won't even give me a tweet back or an RT and DC has always ignored their fans on Twitter.....but not Dynamite. Very cool.

#PulpX

Comment

• PulpX or Pulp X or #PulpX or whatever variation of the term sounds so awesome! Man, this comics revelution is really hitting hard and everyone is taking to it it seems!

Pulp Army for life, guys!

Comment

• Preparing for Dark Nights

Hey everyone!

Recently I have been catching up on The Shadow on-going series and I also currently read Waid's Green Hornet on-going series in preparation for the upcoming cross-over. In the process of catching up on The Shadow I also started reading the Year One miniseries and I like enjoy it! I know that the Green Hornet had a Year One series that went for 12 issues and a special, but didn't read it at the time when it came out. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the Green Hornet Year One series? Maybe let me know what you liked and didn't like about the series. I am just trying to judge if it is worth looking into. I like the way The Shadow Year One is going and I think Matt Wagner's work on that title is pretty solid. Since he worked on The Green Hornet Year One as well I'm thinking that it might have a similar feel, but would still like to get some opinions before I begin investing in it.

Comment

• The Shadow: Year One is solid but not as good as Green Hornet: Year One, not even close. The story is fun but the art suffers though many here would tend to disagree with me on that, but its just my opinion. I would say give the first issue or two a shot, if that hooks you than you'll like the series as a whole.

Comment

• The Shadows monthy is great and year one is cool too I would get it if you love pulp books. Grats on prepping for the crossover with all the GH books, they're amazing.

Comment

• Sorry I've been absent as of late, I've got some real life stuff I'm dealing with and haven't had much time to visit the boards recently. With that said, I've been reading all my "PulpX" books from the beginning and have finished re-reading The Shadow 1-current, The Spider 1-current, The Green Hornet pre-Legacy branding 1-26, and Black Bat 1-2. It's been extremely fun!

Comment

• Thoughts on Masks Finale

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering what everyone thought about the Finale to Masks? Did you like how it ended? What would you have done differently? Do you think we will see a Masks Vol. 2?

Comment

• The Clock got what he had coming to him and The Shadow did what he had to do, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Seriously though, what a nice (if not quick) ending to a wonderful story that got me itching to read this book month after month, it was a pure joy and the world needs a MASKS v2 in the near future.

8.5/10 in my book.

Comment

• I thought the ending was a little bit quick, but on the other hand I am kind of happy that it didn't end with a bunch of banter between The Clock and the other heroes. One thing I did like was the struggle between The Shadow and The Black Bat about what to do with The Clock. Something like that was bound to happen because of the different approaches each hero takes with dishing out justice. I am planning on re-reading the whole series after finishing up some other comics I've been wanting to get to. Maybe I'll post some more of my thoughts on the series as a whole later on.

Comment

• Video promotion I did for Dynamite's PulpX line of comics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaoMJ...ature=youtu.be

Check out this video I did of me flipping through some of the Dynamite #PulpX titles, mainly The Shadow and The Black Bat. Tell me what you think.

Comment

• Nice Marvel rant, lol. Gread vid! I like how you show the pages for those who may be undecided.

Comment

• Great stuff here! Lot's of f-bombs, lol, but awesome stuff.

Comment

• VERY NICE! You're quickly becoming the web's most respected modern pulp go to man, keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X