No announcement yet.

The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucks that they are cancelling the Spider after all that stuff about having a huge plan for him in the fall. That being said I am okay with a series ending as long as they don't leave a bunch of cliffhangers and AS LONG AS THEY ACTUALLY RELEASE THE TRADES!!!

The one thing I absolutely hate about Dynamite is their repeated failures to release the last volume of a cancelled series in TPB form. Seriously, I am still waiting for Zorro Rides Again vol 2 and Green Hornet Strikes...

Comment

• The last time this title showed up in the top 300 sales charts was in February, issue #9 with 4,760 issues sold. Sales must've tanked further to untenable levels.

Pulp fandom is very niche. It's up to us to spread the fandom whenever possible. When you see people talking about comic books make sure to mention Dynamite's pulp line. Maybe also point them over to vintagelibrary.com for some real pulp reading. And open up your wallets, I buy every The Shadow comic book at the day of release over at Comixology; I'm also considering double dipping and buying the TPBs.

Comment

• Originally posted by benigngerm View Post
        I buy every The Shadow comic book at the day of release over at Comixology; I'm also considering double dipping and buying the TPBs.
        I've been thinking the same. Digital comics are fine, but there's nothing like a nice display of trade paperbacks. I would start with Green Hornet Year One and more or less work my way up chronologically (by order of release).

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
          I've been thinking the same. Digital comics are fine, but there's nothing like a nice display of trade paperbacks. I would start with Green Hornet Year One and more or less work my way up chronologically (by order of release).
          Actually, shouldn't you buy THE MOST RECENT TPBs to show your support to Dynamite? Buying Green Hornet Year One tpb at present doesn't really support anything since that series has been finished for a while now. (It might be enjoyable to read, but this all depends on why you're buying the tpb if you already buy digital copies of comic books.)

Comment

• Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
            Sucks that they are cancelling the Spider after all that stuff about having a huge plan for him in the fall. That being said I am okay with a series ending as long as they don't leave a bunch of cliffhangers and AS LONG AS THEY ACTUALLY RELEASE THE TRADES!!!

The one thing I absolutely hate about Dynamite is their repeated failures to release the last volume of a cancelled series in TPB form. Seriously, I am still waiting for Zorro Rides Again vol 2 and Green Hornet Strikes...
            The Green Hornet Strikes! TPB is scheduled for release in October. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zorro Rides Again Vol. 2 solicited in the next few months in Previews.

Comment

• The Spider is one of my top five characters from the pulp era. Second only to Doc Savage, the Spider appeals to my pessimistic days and Doc to my optimistic days (the others are John Carter & any character by ERB, Conan & any character by REH, and G-8 & the Battle Aces).

The Spider series by Liss was excellent. A lot of times, The Spider does not translate well to short stories or comics (check out Moonstone Comics and Books). Norvel Page brought raw emotion to The Spider. The intensity of break neck action, the intense relationship of Spider & Nita (rare was a hero in a deep romantic relationship with someone), the treatment of Rita as an ally not just a damsel in distress, the nobility of Ram as an ally, villains that deserved their fate, etc. When Liss took on The Spider for DE, I was in reservations until the very first issue. Some changes were made to make the reboot/re-imaging of the character. Some were good (Ram is a lawyer not a subservient butler) and some were different (Rita now married to Kirk--I like the pulp relationship better). The main problem with the reboot is that DE is now moving toward a Pulp Universe (see Masks, see Codename Action). I would have loved to see a team up/meeting of the Spider, Green Hornet Legacy, and this upcoming Shadow Now series, but now that the comics of GHL and The Spider are cancelled, that dream will have to wait. Besides, there would have to be some magical or inter dimensional explanation for Liss' version of The Spider when in the DE Pulp Universe The Spider is active in the 1930s on (GH has his legacy, the Shadow spent time in the immortal Shangri La--a talented writer might be able to explain Liss' The Spider away but it would not be a typical Spider story for sure).

I hope DE continues to use the Spider. He is that iconic character that can be used in other time periods--as demonstrated by Mr. Liss. One can see the influences on Batman--millionaire secret ID, butler(s) sidekicks, Commissioner Gordon character as his best friend, fear based costume, etc. The main difference is the killing. Being on the run from the law and targeted by the underworld is what makes the Spider a great character no matter what time period he is placed. I often get frustrated with how the Shadow is portrayed (is he the Radio guy with powers or is he the pulp manipulator hero? The Baldwin movie combined the two versions a bit) and that is why I like the Spider over the Shadow. The Shadow benefits from better exposure.

DE please keep The Spider around!

Comment

• I would say just about every DE title exists in its own universe. There are a few exceptions. All the various Lone Ranger and Zorro series seem pretty consistent, and Green Hornet and Kato (modern) are in the same universe, as Green Hornet Year One and Kato Origins are in the same universe, and obviously Project Superpowers and its various spinoffs, and Kirby Genesis and its various spinoffs. But things like Masks, Codename Action, and The Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights...? All different universes, from what I can tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                  Actually, shouldn't you buy THE MOST RECENT TPBs to show your support to Dynamite? Buying Green Hornet Year One tpb at present doesn't really support anything since that series has been finished for a while now. (It might be enjoyable to read, but this all depends on why you're buying the tpb if you already buy digital copies of comic books.)
                  I meant that I consider that to be the start of the pulp line.

But even if I chose to buy them more or less in order of release now, I think it still displays to the store from which I'm buying them that I have an interest in the Green Hornet character.

Comment

• I think we'll see a Spider mini-series in the not too distant future.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                      I think we'll see a Spider mini-series in the not too distant future.
                      The Spider Beyond.

Comment

• The Spider #14 had a teaser of what might happen in the next couple of issues--after showing off the Wentworth Industries stash of Research and Development weapons and inventions, it was revealed that the is a TIME MACHINE among the inventions (although it is not remembered if it was used before or not). Cryptic. Could this explain why there is a reboot of the Spider (with supporting cast intact) who traveled to the present day from the golden age? Or will this be the escape mechanism for the dark days/issues ahead allowing the Spider to travel to the 1930s? Although not a big fan of such outlandish devices in a Spider story (I enjoy an element of realism in Spider stories--with the training, money, and bravery, anyone could become the Spider), perhaps this element will bridge the current series with DE's Pulp Universe?

I will miss this series. A modern telling of the iconic vigilante proving that the Spider is a character that could appear in any time period. Thank you DE for providing this fan with such excitement! Looking forward to the start of Doc Savage!!! Perhaps my two favorite pulp heroes (The Spider and Doc) will cross paths?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                          The Spider #14 had a teaser of what might happen in the next couple of issues--after showing off the Wentworth Industries stash of Research and Development weapons and inventions, it was revealed that the is a TIME MACHINE among the inventions (although it is not remembered if it was used before or not).
                          Time travel makes me think of Miss Fury. Presumably she could meet up with ANY version of The Spider, The Green Hornet, The Shadow etc. that DE has published. And maybe leave them in possession of a time machine in the bargain. Also, you might possibly use a time machine, and then not remember that you used it. Maybe Wentworth leaves his present reality and shows up in the 1960s in Codename: Action.

Comment

• Somehow I can't see the plot with The Fly wrapping up in #15, which means it'll probably play out all the way to the last issue, #18. Since they know the series is ending, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wentworth's status somehow radically altered in the climax. Assuming he survives, which I wouldn't consider 100% certain either.

Comment

• Perhaps a mini based on the original classic Spider, or a mini where he teams with The Shadow or something?
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• I'm really depressed about this, we worked so hard to keep this book alive and now they're Canceling it, bleh. Hopefully they reconsider or use The Spider in a different way in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                                X