No announcement yet.

The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something tells me we haven't seen the last of The Spider at DE after #18. For one thing, won't his appearance in Codename: Action outlast the end of The Spider?

You could do a miniseries co-starring The Spider and almost any other character from Masks. Or even a series with The Spider and The Phantom (that's a lot of .45 automatics). Or The Spider and Mandrake.
    Last edited by pulphero; 09-15-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
      Perhaps a mini based on the original classic Spider, or a mini where he teams with The Shadow or something?

Yes! Any usage of the Spider would be great! A mini series featuring the Shadow and the Spider might help differentiate the two seemingly similar characters for the fans. As you can tell from my user name, I am a Spider fan!

I am really enjoying the Shadow/Green Hornet mini. These crossovers are exciting us fans. Perhaps a first meeting (Masks would be the second meeting of course) of the Green Hornet and the Spider? I already mentioned elsewhere on these posts a Doc Savage vs _________ (Spider, Green Hornet, etc.). My only concern with these crossover events is the standard look-at-the-similarities-of-these-characters and look-at-each-of-their-greatest-foes plot line. I think DE should celebrate the differences of method of operations of these characters and maybe be involved in a more complicated plot than fighting a team up of foes. I for one am excited when I see DE's choices each month!

Comment

• I'm sure Dynamite will use The Spider in a capacity similar to Masks and whatnot. You'll probably see a Masks v2 eventually since it was successful and I'm sure The Spider will be there and I wouldn't be surprised to see them use him as a guest appearance in The Shadow or Green Hornet or something down the line.

Comment

• I've been loving The Spider and, like everyone else, am sorry to see it go. However, I must thank Nick Barucci for giving it a shot in the first place, picking a great creative team, and then giving it an extension after the fan outcry. Seems like a great ceo.

I think a good idea for The Spider's future would be as a series of minis, like Black Beetle is doing. Maybe let different teams take a crack at him for each series? Could be really cool. I'm a huge fan of what Truman did with him for Eclipse. Wonder what he's up to these days?

Of course, The Spider will always be available to show up in other books, so there's that at least.

Comment

• I'm upset to see it go especially after we allbstood upbtonfight. If they promoted it better instead of crap like Uncanny than it would have survived

Comment

• Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
              I'm upset to see it go especially after we allbstood upbtonfight. If they promoted it better instead of crap like Uncanny than it would have survived
              You mention Uncanny...To each his (or her) own of course, but I see Jennifer Blood in its 30's and am stunned every time it appeasr in solicitations. It doesn't appear to sell all that well either, yet it chugs along.
              Last edited by Captain Canuck; 09-19-2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
                I'm upset to see it go especially after we allbstood upbtonfight. If they promoted it better instead of crap like Uncanny than it would have survived
                Hey, I know you're so mad you can't type straight, but why slam Uncanny? (A great book, BTW, if anyone bothered to read it.) I know you probably can't remember back as far as The Spider #1, but it got as much promotion (if not more) than Uncanny #1 did. In fact, The Spider #1 sold out the first week it was released. Dynamite gives the majority of its new title launches an equal and decent amount of promotion. You can't expect them to have that kind of ad budget for every single issue of the book.
                Last edited by pulphero; 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• UNCANNY is a great book. So is (was) THE SPIDER. No reason to outright slag UNCANNY. It may not be for you, but that doesn't mean it sucks. I've been trying to bring it to the attention of readers at my LCS (the ones willing to buy a comic that isn't all capes 'n' tights, at least).

Comment

• Sorry to hear of the end of the Spider...

While I enjoyed the Spider's comic run it was not as good as it could have been. Updating him into the present was a mistake. The look of the book was entirely too dark. Perhaps the Spider will be revived in the future and placed in the proper timeline, the 1930s. I think that Dynamite's efforts to keep the Spider going were indeed admirable. We can only hope it will work better next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Historian View Post
                      While I enjoyed the Spider's comic run it was not as good as it could have been. Updating him into the present was a mistake. The look of the book was entirely too dark. Perhaps the Spider will be revived in the future and placed in the proper timeline, the 1930s. I think that Dynamite's efforts to keep the Spider going were indeed admirable. We can only hope it will work better next time.
                      "Entirely too dark" ... ???! That really struck me as an odd comment to make, since we are talking about The Spider here. I thought the initial story arc by Colton Worley was appropriately dark, and helped create an atmosphere for the book that really helped compensate for a certain mood that is lost when updating these type of characters. I mean, the Spider is supposed to be dark, weird, and scary, not a bright & shiny heroic ideal like Doc Savage, Captain America or Superman, that inspires the youth of America to be respectful to their parents, eat their vegatables, and hope to grow up to be President one day.

If anything, the later issues of The Spider were not dark enough. In the switch to Ivan Rodriguez's artwork, much of the darkness that Worley established was lost, and that was a serious detriment to trying to maintain an eerie mood of "pulp" in modern times. It didn't help in the very last story arc that The Fly was a thoroughly modern criminal mastermind type that didn't seem the least bit "pulpy".

The really unfortunate news is that the typical modern comic book consumer isn't the least bit interested in reading a comic book (or seeing a movie, for that matter) set in the 1930s. That's why DE is continuing to update pulp characters with The Black Bat, next in The Shadow NOW (which ships this week, YAY!), and in November, Doc Savage (although Doc, like The Shadow, gets to keep his roots planted in the 1930s, he'll move slowly forward into the present). I prefer the period setting of the 1930s and 1940s myself. If it were up to me, I'd love to see a few dozen books being published right now that are set during those decades. But you can't blame Dynamite for trying to cater to the tastes of the marketplace. They can't publish these characters at all if not enough people are buying the books.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• booo to dynamite for killing this book, maybe we will get a version set in the 30's or 40s? At least they expanded from issue 12 to 18 for us!

Comment

• The Spider Annual 2013

On the first page, we find a very interesting opening caption...

EIGHT MONTHS AGO. [By which I infer that this story takes place sometime between the first and second story arcs of the regular series...]

"An associate of mine claims to know the evil that lurks in the hearts of men..." [As far as I'm aware, this is the first direct reference to another Dynamite pulp character that has been made within the pages of a character's regular series.]

But wait, THIS Spider never met The Shadow! This can't be the Spider that appeared in Masks, taking place in 1938, unless there's some sort of as-yet-unrevealed time travel angle (The Spider traveling back in time to 1938 to participate in that story). Could this be a clue that Dynamite is considering a The Shadow & The Spider series as a follow-up to The Shadow NOW? Set in the present, and taking place after The Shadow NOW and the first Spider story by Liss and Worley, but prior to the events of this Annual? Also done by the creative team of Liss and Worley?

Let's hope so!

Comment

• Amazing story! This was a fun one, more salt on the wound if you ask me though.....

The dude in the metal mask was badass, great story and I loved the scene where The Spider came crashing through the window on the second page and began unloading his gun. Epic stuff! I loved the art in this issue by Vitorino, this has been one of the most enjoyable issues of The Spider to date and it really drives the stake home that this book is leaving soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                              On the first page, we find a very interesting opening caption...

EIGHT MONTHS AGO. [By which I infer that this story takes place sometime between the first and second story arcs of the regular series...]

"An associate of mine claims to know the evil that lurks in the hearts of men..." [As far as I'm aware, this is the first direct reference to another Dynamite pulp character that has been made within the pages of a character's regular series.]

But wait, THIS Spider never met The Shadow! This can't be the Spider that appeared in Masks, taking place in 1938, unless there's some sort of as-yet-unrevealed time travel angle (The Spider traveling back in time to 1938 to participate in that story). Could this be a clue that Dynamite is considering a The Shadow & The Spider series as a follow-up to The Shadow NOW? Set in the present, and taking place after The Shadow NOW and the first Spider story by Liss and Worley, but prior to the events of this Annual? Also done by the creative team of Liss and Worley?

Let's hope so!
                              I sure hope so! That would be fantastic and a great way to keep The Spider around and relevant!

Comment

• Holy !@# was this issue great!
                                Good writing, great action,atmosphere, and excellent art.Colors could've been a bit more moody and darkish, but still it looks great.
                                The best looking Spider issue so far, and too bad we didn't have Vitorino on the regular series.

Comment

Working...
                                X