No announcement yet.

The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't done any kind of scientific survey, but I think with the exception of their Phantom and Captain Action titles, I don't have an issue from Moonstone numbered higher than issue #5. They do seem to put out a fair number of one-shots though. Despite having some recognizable properties, this is pretty much the fringe of comics publishing.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I was pretty stoked about their "return of the originals" stuff, since it was similar to PSP here, but that appears to have kind of flamed out.

Comment

David Liss Commentary track for THE SPIDER #1

This deserves wider exposure, so I post it here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/...by-david-liss/
        Last edited by positronic; 05-06-2012, 09:41 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Clicked on the link and got an error message.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Accidentally transposed the "http://" header to the end of the line when I pasted the link in. Fixed now.

Comment

The Spider Classic Pulp eBook for $0.01

If you enjoyed the Spider's Dynamite debut, you may be interested in the original pulp stories that gave birth to the character. If so, RadioArchives.com has a special ebook offer that's pretty tough to pass up - a complete classic pulp tale of the Spider for a penny.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eBook1CentOffer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	48605

http://www.radioarchives.com/The_Spi...rs_p/re011.htm

It is issue #11 (Aug 1934) of the original Spider magazine - "Prince of the Red Looters" - written by Norvell Page (as Grant Stockbridge). It has a special introduction by pulp expert (and current Doc Savage author) Will Murray. You get a zip file with epub, Kindle and pdf format ebooks so you should be able to read it on any device you might have.
              DECODER RING THEATRE
              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
              PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
              PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Nice insight into the reimagining by Liss. Loved his Mystery Men series for Marvel, and I can see a lot of that in The Spider.

Too bad Bleeding Cool doesn't edit their writing because all the typos drove me crazy while I was trying to read the article. Seriously, BC, slip me $20 and I'll edit all your articles for a year just so I don't have to go through that again.

Comment

The Spider #2

Great second issue. the art was even nicer this month. LOVED the ending. This comic needs to be out every week. Waiting a whole month is murder.

Comment

It takes time to create darkly beautiful, atmospheric, creepy, and cinematic artwork like Colton Worley's. While the covers by Alex Ross, John Cassaday and Francesco Francavilla are great, I'm not sure this book would really work without Colton.

One of the really unusual things about this character is that everybody seems to know, yet not be able to prove, that Richard Wentworth is The Spider. That's going to lead to some sticky situations for The Spider for sure.
                    Last edited by positronic; 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Everyone (esp Kirk) suspecting that Wentworth is the Spider was a constant back drop to the pulps as well. Liss is handling it very well here.

Comment

Just curious. Your screen name, "TheMicrozone" -- anything to do with Micronauts (aka Microman Zone in Japan)?

Micronauts -- there's a license I wouldn't mind seeing Dynamite take a shot at.
                        Last edited by positronic; 06-07-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I enjoyed this issue quite a bit. I enjoyed the continuation of the story from the first issue and even though I felt the first issue was a little better than the 2nd I did highly enjoy it and would recommend this book to ANYONE looking for an alternative to spandex superheroes. The art was tight, the story was tight, the setting was great, and the overall feel of this book is just stellar, people need to give The Spider (and The Shadow) a try and I bet they'd be extremely happy at what they end up reading.

Awesome stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            It takes time to create darkly beautiful, atmospheric, creepy, and cinematic artwork like Colton Worley's. While the covers by Alex Ross, John Cassaday and Francesco Francavilla are great, I'm not sure this book would really work without Colton.
                            Why, thank you, sir. Glad you all like it.

-Colton

Comment

Originally posted by Colton Worley View Post
                              Why, thank you, sir. Glad you all like it.

-Colton
                              I must admit you are certainly kicking butt on this book. It's like "a movie in my mind" (to steal GraphicAudio's tagline). How do you do all those diffuse lighting and laser-web targeting effects? Some kind of computer rendering? Because I FEEL just like I'm watching a movie.

Hope you don't mind if I share these images of The Shadow from your website (http://coltonworleyartist.blogspot.com/) with The Spider's readers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow in Little China.JPG
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	48607Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow by Colton Worley.JPG
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	48608
                              Last edited by positronic; 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM.

Comment

I must admit you are certainly kicking butt on this book. It's like "a movie in my mind" (to steal GraphicAudio's tagline). How do you do all those diffuse lighting and laser-web targeting effects? Some kind of computer rendering? Because I FEEL just like I'm watching a movie.

Hope you don't mind if I share these images of The Shadow from your website (http://coltonworleyartist.blogspot.com/) with The Spider's readers:

[ATTACH]452[/ATTACH][ATTACH]453[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]452[/ATTACH][ATTACH]453[/ATTACH]
                                I should update that blog a little more. And I haven't done anything for that Snake Burton blog in a while (but that will change later today!). That first one is a Big Trouble in Little China / Shadow mash up and the second is an old oil painting I did couple years ago (his hat looks to tall in that one, doesn't it? And the guns don't look quite right...). The laser webbing is actually pretty easily done in Photoshop. I do them a bunch of different ways depending on the scene.

I'm glad you feel like you're watching a movie when looking at the book, as that is what I'm going for at this point. Well, actually at first I was going for the video game crowd with the first three issues. Now I've shifted more to what movies can do, because I feel that's closer to my style of drawing. I've also been looking more and more at Drew Struzan and Travis Charest's work as well.

I'd say issue 4 (which I just completed) has the best cinematic look to it so far. That issue has so much more detail than the first three issues. There's more texture and better lighting throughout the book; you'll understand when you see it. It's the same style to be sure, but just more intense I think. I don't think I'm allowed to show any samples besides the ones that were already shown on Bleeding Cool (which is frustrating, I know) but you'll understand when you have the full issue in your hands.

Here are those images from issue 4 Bleeding Cool put up (scroll to the bottom). Maybe someone from Dynamite could authorize a different page to be put up here (to better get my point across)? Maybe page 7 or 9 possibly...huh? huh? huh? Maybe not. You can't give too much away, you know. But you can see even on these pages, there's a lot more detail to them than there was before. Same style, yeah, just done better.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/...-second-print/

Off to work on issue 5!

-Colton

Comment

Working...
                                X