Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spider Ring - New 2012

Hey all,
    I'm getting word out about an adult sized ring I've created modeled exactly after the 1940's promotional ring offered in the pulps. Its available in three sizes, two different metals and seven different finishes.
    Take a look, let me know what you think, order if you like. Feedback is more than welcome.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/http:...ops/strigoix51

Comment

Not trying to be critical, but I've seen other repro versions of the ring and this looks unfinished. Grainy texture (and actually looks more like a resin build-up) and no deco paint on the spider/background?

You'll have to show pictures to explain what you mean about the different finishes. What are the 2 metals, and what are the 3 finishes? Pix to show the differences, please.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Not taken as critical, this product is actually 3d printed from a model, there may be other reproductions out there, but they are all incredibly small like the original. The two metals are Stainless and Silver. The finishes on Stainless are Gold Matte, Gold Glossy, Antique Bronze Matte, Antique Bronze Glossy, and Plain Stainless (pictured). On Silver its Silver or Polished Silver.
        I don't have pictures of the other finishes because I haven't ordered them myself yet. Shapeways offers a 'swatch' of what the materials look like on the material selection window.
        There are tutorials for the enamel I can link if anyone would like.

Here is my Spider Ring collection for comparison. Starting at the top right going clockwise: Chris Kalb's ring (Baen Publishing), My ring in size 11, a 1970's reproduction, and Diamond's 1996 reproduction. The only thing I'm missing is an original.

If you like one of those better, they are options but all are almost impossible to find. I'm just trying to make something available and wearable for fans of the character. If you'd like to see any of them in more detail I could provide pictures in comparison with my rings.

Here's all three sizes for comparison:

Hope that satisfies your concerns

Comment

Question: will the actual ring when shipped have the rough, "grainy" look shown in the photo, or is this buffed out in the finishing process? The size looks good, like a real ring instead of a cheap giveaway, and the metal looks solid. I'm just concerned about the rough looking surface.

Also, during the finishing process, can these be painted black/red (as in the Chris Kalb promo ring) so that the spider design stands out in sharp contrast?
          Last edited by positronic; 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

That is how they are shipped, it can be buffed, I've read of people using Brasso polish or a rock tumbler to polish them up. Also sandpaper is used, I've attempted to start to see what Dremel attachments are best on my size 9 ring. Here is a thread on Shapeways regarding this:
            http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index...=8723&start=0&
            The Silver Glossy comes out smooth. I have one person who ordered one of the antique bronze finishes, he's going to send pictures when in comes in.
            The metal is solid, it is a real ring having a nice heft to it.
            Here is a tutorial on putting enamel in the details.
            http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/p...glaze_tutorial
            I am going to try this on my ring when I have time. Real life gets in the way of fun things, I've been working on this ring for over 14 months now and am thrilled to have something to show for it. \

I hope this helps, thank you for your interest. I'll keep you updated as I continue my efforts to bring this ring to fans.

Comment

Amazing preview Colton, you're really quite the wizard when it comes to art! Thanks for posting!

Comment

I just discovered the new Spider series a few weeks ago.
                Thankfully my store had back issues of 1-4. So I bought them up and waited on number 5.
                I have to say that this is a great series! At first I was a little worried about the use of the serial costume. But a few pages into the first issue and I loved it.
                One thing I would like to know more about is the history of the setting. Is it our world, only with blimps and zeppliens? Or is it a completely different world with an altered history? Reminds me a bit of Truman's, "The 1990's as envisioned in the 1930's."

The mixing and alterations of the supporting characters is great. And I'm curious to see where the development of them is going to be headed in future issues.
                I do hope that the new team will bring the same level of excitement and action to upcoming issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane View Post
                  One thing I would like to know more about is the history of the setting. Is it our world, only with blimps and zeppliens? Or is it a completely different world with an altered history? Reminds me a bit of Truman's, "The 1990's as envisioned in the 1930's."
                  And fedoras. It's our universe except for zeppelins and hats. Only you never see the daylight side of it, just the nighttime "film noir" world. But yeah, that sounds about right. If there's a serious alteration of world history other than that, they haven't specified anything. I think they're going for a sort of (more realistic but) timeless vibe like Batman the Animated Series.

Comment

I can accept the B:TAS vibe. In fact, it was the mixing and matching presented in that series that made me love it when it first aired.
                    And how could I forget the fedoras?! IMO, one of the great unnoticed requirements for any pulp style setting.!

Comment

The Spider #6

This book continues to remain at or near the top of my reading list whenever it ships. Colton Worley continues to dazzle me with his artistic bag of tricks. He uses some very complicated page layouts/panel arrangements, and this sort of thing can often get an artist in trouble, if there's the slightest confusion about the reading sequence of the panels. Yet this is never a problem with Colton, as the careful arrangement of word balloons and their relative placement in the panels leads the reader's eye naturally in the direction that Colton wants you to go. Bravo. I also note how carefully he achieves the film noir effect in a color comic book, by careful use of muted tones, with bold color used as punctuation to highlight certain outlines and effects -- red, always (since it defines The Spider within the panel, and the panel borders), and sometimes yellow, for sound FX. Next I notice an amazing array of texture effects that he uses. The Spider wears a black hat, black gloves, black cape -- but I can tell by looking that the hat is felt, the gloves are leather, the cape silk. Again, bravo. Colton must spend a considerable amount of time photographing live models for reference, since I always feel like I'm looking at a movie -- the "actors" are all perfectly cast, and completely distinctive and unmistakeable, even the "extras". If he's doing this strictly out of his own head, without photo reference, I'm even more amazed at his ability. I know it sounds like I'm giving David Liss' script short shrift here, and I really don't mean to. It's rare today to see a really effective single-issue story, and that's exactly what issue #6 was. On the one hand, I almost find myself wishing it was a longer arc, but on the other hand, there's no sense of skimping here, no missing information or lack of detail that the story needed. A perfect done-in-one.

Comment

I agree 100%. The Spider is easily one of my favorites every month. Definitely Dynamite's best book at the moment. Miss and Worley are a great team, they clearly share a vision for Spider and both are equally great at what they do. I really hope Dynamite keeps them on the title for a good amount of time and give them time to really build and explore the character.

Comment

The Spider is just brilliant! Top 3 on my pull-list. Great art, interesting story & an awesome character. On the whole, Dynamite at it's best!

Comment

The Spider #7

This issue seems to be the first in a series of one-shot stories for The Spider and man, what a start! Lazarus is an excellent, creepy, diisgusting, perverted psycho that can't help but hold your attention. It seemed to me there wasn't too much actual Spider action this issue (I went back and counted - there was 7 pages) but the storyline was so good I really didn't care. Lots of great drama going on between the characters, don't know if I should get into spoiler-y specifics but its sure to resound in future issues. One thing that really struck me was Wentworth mistakenly referring to the Spider having done something when Richard was actually the one who did it. Is this slip indicative of him losing his mind a little more than he already has? The craziness of his character is something that I think really sets him apart and I love to see this aspect of him explored.

But let's get down to the major issue: where has Colton Worley gone? Don't get me wrong, Ivan Rodriguez does a more than capable jobon pencils, but man I loved Colton's work. He really seemed to understand the characters and have a clear vision of the world they lived in. His action, layouts, even stuff like how he depicted rain...it was all so amazing. Solicits say Ivan is on art for the foreseeable future, what gives?

Anyway, this issue has me psyched for the next few standalone stories and definitely excited for The Fly to debut as Spider's arch nemesis in March.

Comment

The Spider #7 was great, this series continues to impress and this whole "pulp-verse" has been nothing short of spectacular. I really do think that Dynamite has found their niche and should continue on expanding this line of books while dwindling down others that really don't sell too well, that way a focus can be put on this line which would help both it and the company grow an identity.

Anyone feel the same?
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                                this whole "pulp-verse" has been nothing short of spectacular. I really do think that Dynamite has found their niche and should continue on expanding this line of books
                                Anyone feel the same?
                                Totally agree, all of the pulp books are fantastic and The Spider is one of the best books on the stand. I do miss Colton Worley already though...

Comment

Working...
                                X