The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    He said it, not me. Let's try to spread the word of The Spider and all these books we love and try to help the line out.
    Yeah it would seriously suck if Spider got canceled. I don't know if it is likely or imminent, it's impossible to say without knowing what the sales figure numbers that Dynamite needs for the title are. But I'm doing my part by pulling it at my LCS, writing reviews for the pulp titles at a comics website, and telling everyone on multiple social networking sites they should read it whenever it evens smells like they are looking for suggestions of what to read. I'm also gonna buy the trade next month. I'm supporting all the pulp titles in similar fashion (im even buying Green Hornet, which at this point is a sunk ship).

Comment

• Well, I sometimes buy the trade collection (if I REALLY liked that story) even though I bought all the individual issues (in some cases, multiple covers on several issues). I don't know if that's helping much. It can't hurt, I guess.

I bought all the PSP trade collections, Green Hornet Year One and Kato Origins, Jungle Girl, Vampirella vs. Dracula, Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, all the Zorro and Lone Ranger trades, The Man With No Name and The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Kirby Genesis, and plan on buying Flash Gordon, Merciless, and The Spider trade collections as well.

I can't skip the single issues, though. Dynamite in my opinion has the best looking covers in the business.
      Last edited by positronic; 12-22-2012, 01:54 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
        I can't skip the single issues, though. Dynamite in my opinion has the best looking covers in the business.
        Thanks in large part to Francesco! That guy deserves to be huge in the industry. He had a great 2012, winning 2 Eisner's, but he quickly has become my favorite artist and I really hope 2013 is the Year of Francavilla. There's plenty of other artists I love right now, but none doing the crazy amount of work and doing it consistently as well as he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnpisme View Post
          Thanks in large part to Francesco! That guy deserves to be huge in the industry. He had a great 2012, winning 2 Eisner's, but he quickly has become my favorite artist and I really hope 2013 is the Year of Francavilla. There's plenty of other artists I love right now, but none doing the crazy amount of work and doing it consistently as well as he is.
          I always get the Francesco covers, unless they're of the "1-in-## retailer incentive" variants. But I really like the John Cassaday covers as well, so I get those too. If there's an Alex Ross cover, I get that too. Ditto for Joe Jusko.

Another fun thing I like to do (because it doesn't cost me anything) is collect .jpg's of these same cover images. And there are a ton of Francesco cover images to be found over on his Pulp Sunday blog. If you haven't visited, you really ought to. Can't wait for Black Beetle!
          Last edited by positronic; 12-22-2012, 02:39 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• NIGHTSHIFT.... The BLACK BEETLE: Murder in the Museum!

Originally posted by positronic View Post
            I always get the Francesco covers, unless they're of the "1-in-## retailer incentive" variants. But I really like the John Cassaday covers as well, so I get those too. If there's an Alex Ross cover, I get that too. Ditto for Joe Jusko.

Another fun thing I like to do (because it doesn't cost me anything) is collect .jpg's of these same cover images. And there are a ton of Francesco cover images to be found over on his Pulp Sunday blog. If you haven't visited, you really ought to. Can't wait for Black Beetle!
            Pos, what about NIGHTSHIFT. THE BLACK BEETLE #0.??? I thought it was very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
              Pos, what about NIGHTSHIFT. THE BLACK BEETLE #0.??? I thought it was very good.
              I read them in Dark Horse Presents. Should have my re-order for the one-shot on Monday. At this rate it'll be a year before a trade paperback collection shows up. Oh, AgOHnee!!!

Actually, did you know that Francesco posted the first part of NIGHTSHIFT online on his Pulp Sunday blog years ago? Boy, that was a long wait for a continued story. The same is true for the opening part of the upcoming NO WAY OUT, which was posted online even earlier than NIGHTSHIFT. There's even the beginning of yet another Black Beetle story, KARA BOCEK, online at Pulp Sunday. Check out that link above.

You wanna hear something funny? At our LCS, only 3 people pulled copies of Black Beetle #0 (that includes me). But that was still more than pulled copies of DC's BLUE Beetle (just ONE!) that also came out this week. ROTFLMAO!
              Last edited by positronic; 12-22-2012, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• So... ahem... getting back to The Spider...

I guess in retrospect I should have seen it coming, but "the triangle" just got a lot more complicated. So much so that Wentworth is cracking and getting sloppy. He tells Kirkpatrick that that The Spider saved his life, when Kirk knows it was Wentworth that saved him. Which is a tacit admission on Wentworth's part of what Kirkpatrick has always suspected but never been able to prove. Never WANTED to prove, that is -- unless hard evidence was staring him right in the face. What will Kirk do if he learns Wentworth and Nita did the nasty when he was thought to be dead? Uh-oh. The Spider doesn't make slips like that. Normally. Or at least consciously. His own feelings of guilt are betraying him now. He wants to be caught.

David Liss really is good at this.
                Last edited by positronic; 12-22-2012, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  I'd love to help out with that, but I have no Facebookies, no Twitterati, no Blognoscenti. Sure, I'll talk your ear off F2F about Dynamite until I start to see your eyeballs glaze over, but that's about it, other than these forums.
                  Have you read my Dynamite blog posts? They tweeted them again on the official twitter yesterday during the pulp comics event they did, I have over 5k monthly readers so I'm hoping the articles helps a bit.

Comment

• Well this is a surprise to find on a late night / early morning.

First, thanks for all the compliments. The Spider was the most fun I had in a long time and I'm glad you guys enjoyed my run as much as I did. David Liss' script was a lot of fun to work off of. I was prepared to just do The Spider forever, but unfortunately what Nick said is correct. I'm very slow and you guys would have been upset with my pace (I'm trying to get faster, though). But you know what? I'm still here and I'm going to be here for quite a while (I'm a big pulp fan). Ivan will do a solid job on The Spider and make it sing in his own way and you guys will come to love him I'm sure. Best thing you guys can do right now is keep buying the book and tell others to pick it up as well. Then maybe later I'll be able to come back to The Spider for another run of rain soaked, neo pulp-noir goodness!

-Colton

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                      Have you read my Dynamite blog posts? They tweeted them again on the official twitter yesterday during the pulp comics event they did, I have over 5k monthly readers so I'm hoping the articles helps a bit.
                      Well, if I wasn't clear, I have no Facebook account, no Twitter account and no blog of my own. I suppose I could read yours, but I don't see how that helps Dynamite sell extra copies of its books to me, since I'm already reading them. But yeah, you should keep doing that, for the non-Dynamite reading people that might be reading your blog. I wish I had the time and energy to do all that stuff, but I'm just an older guy who has two jobs. I barely have the free time to post here (confidentially, I do this from work).

Comment

• Has anyone read either of the Eclipse Comics Spider mini-series from the early 90's? Are they worth getting?

Comment

• I have these, but have not re-read them since they came out. I love me some Tim Truman stuff, but I really had mixed feelings about this attempt to create an alternate universe in which the Spider was more of a cross between the pulp version and something resembling a standard superhero. At least when the first came out.

I suppose nowadays after having seen several more versions of the Spider (Mark Wheatley's, Moonstone's "Widevision" illustrated pulp, Moonstone's Martin Powell/Pablo Marcos 2-issue comic, Liss & Worley's) I might have a different perspective on it. I'll make a mental note to try to re-read these sometime soon. Sorry, those are what, 20+ years old now? Maybe closer to 25?

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Guys,

OK, this is crazy. Right now, The Spider is fine. Someone mentioned that they thought it was cancelled and that Masks had replaced it. I wanted to ensure that as of right now The Spider was coming out, issue #7 had come out same day as Masks #2, so one did not replace the other, and we're trying to ensure that we work hard to keep the series going. David is writing the hell out of the character, Colton did a wonderful job, and Ivan is bringing his own voice to the series.

Good stuff all around.

Now to try and sell more copies!

One at a time with the help from our readers and friends!

Nick

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                              Someone mentioned that they thought it was cancelled and that Masks had replaced it.
                              Nick,

Ah. I think you might have mis-interpreted my remark when I said that it was too bad Flash Gordon was ending, that it was probably my favorite DE title after The Spider, and that would now be replaced by Masks. What I meant was MASKS would now replace the departing Flash Gordon as my second favorite Dynamite title after The Spider. So I was in no way hinting that The Spider was heading for limbo like FG. I know you must not have a huge amount of time to read all the comments here, but sometimes a quick reading out of context gives you the exact wrong impression. I was totally confused when people starting picking up on your comments and hinting around that The Spider was in danger of cancellation.

Comment

• It may have been in another thread, but I also seem to remember someone mistakenly thinking Spider had been/was being canceled. Or maybe I am having the same misunderstanding as Nick. Either way, glad to hear the CEO say that Spider is doing good, but I will continue to sing the praises of it to everyone who will listen until it is number 1 every month.

Comment

Working...
                                X