Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new pulp blog for Dynamite!

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com/...lp-fiesta.html

Check out the post! Dynamite re-tweeted it for all of their followers to see and I appreciate that, I hope some of my own readers will check it out and give Dynamite a shot!

Comment

• The Spider must SIMPLY SURVIVE! DO NOT CANCEL

All this talk about potentially cancellling the Spider has sent me up a tree! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get rid of it, it's selling good enough and you can support it. Promote it more, take out an ad, please dont cancel! Who's with me?! If Dynamite cancells this book like they did with the Superpowers books and the Kirby books than I think I may drop Shadow, Masks, LOTJ, Gordon, and Vampirella out of protests !!

Comment

• this is awesome. Keep making blogs and promote them outside of the dynamite fandom and that way more may pick up the books and read them. Please!

Comment

• NO!!! Not The Spider! It's my favorite book, they can't cancel it. In regards to taking out an ad ect, join my Spider facebook page (only one on fb). David Liss & Colton Worley join the other day! & I don't mind saying I did crack a smile when I saw it on my updates, haha

http://www.facebook.com/thespidercomic

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Guys,

Thank you. This is great!

More support is fantastic!

Happy Holidays!

Nick

Comment

• This is worse than chinese whispers!

Guys, nobody ever said The Spider was getting the chop - check out Nick's comments in the thread titled "The Spider #7". But that said, all books could always use more support and new readers so please everyone, keep spreading the word whenever possible. It's also a huge help if you can ask your local comic store to save you a copy every month, rather than just picking one off the shelf. And if your local store ever sells out, ask them to order a few more. Every little helps!

Don't really understand people threatening to drop all their Dynamite books though. No publisher ever stops publishing a book just to spite their readership, that's an insane notion. Whenever a book is cancelled, 99.9% of the time it's because the sales are low and thus it's losing money for the publisher - something which is unsustainable in the long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Bowland View Post

check out Nick's comments in the thread titled "The Spider #7".
                Yeah I saw that after I had posted and I doubt I would be dropping any books from Dynamite even if they cancelled The Spider. I might whine about it online/sign a superfluous petition but that's about it. At the end of the day there's still Masks, The Shadow, Peter Cannon & Lord of The Jungle to keep me fairly content.
                Last edited by KentAllard; 12-24-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• DYNAMITE needs to read this.

Originally posted by Simon Bowland View Post
                  This is worse than chinese whispers!

Guys, nobody ever said The Spider was getting the chop - check out Nick's comments in the thread titled "The Spider #7". But that said, all books could always use more support and new readers so please everyone, keep spreading the word whenever possible. It's also a huge help if you can ask your local comic store to save you a copy every month, rather than just picking one off the shelf. And if your local store ever sells out, ask them to order a few more. Every little helps!

Don't really understand people threatening to drop all their Dynamite books though. No publisher ever stops publishing a book just to spite their readership, that's an insane notion. Whenever a book is cancelled, 99.9% of the time it's because the sales are low and thus it's losing money for the publisher - something which is unsustainable in the long term.
                  The problem is that Dynamite promotes a title such as The Spider pretty hard before it's released and then forgets to promote it post launch, then when the steam runs out they no longer promote it and just cancel it instead of trying to promote it some more and get it back off the ground. Also, Dynamite has a habit of putting top talent on a book for a few issues and then switching the creative teams to lesser known names with the belief that the mere name of the comic book will sell all on it's own, which is absurd. People follow creative talent more than they follow specific characters these days, not so much with the "big two" but more so with indy books and once those big names leave than along with them go the readers.

Also, it's up to Dynamite to promote their books, not the fans. Nick keeps saying "Please, promote us online and tell friends!" and that's fine because most of us do, but that only goes so far and it's up to Dynamite to promote their own books and keep them afloat with quality talent and promotion. You can't offer a steak dinner with 3 side dishes and then deliver just the steak and ask the customer to produce their own sides, it's like dangling a carrot in front of your readers and then yanking it because you're arm is too tired to continue dangling it.

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Manga4life,

I disagree with you on many points. I'll start there. First of all, David Liss is high profile. He is not leaving nor is he being replaced on The Spider. There are times when creators want to leave a series because they told all of the stories that they want to tell. Would you prefer that they started telling lame stories?

And we don't <<You can't offer a steak dinner with 3 side dishes and then deliver just the steak and ask the customer to produce their own sides, it's like dangling a carrot in front of your readers and then yanking it because you're arm is too tired to continue dangling it.>> We tell you up front if we're sold out of something. That's not dangling. That's not lying which is what you're basically saying.

And in regards to pushing a book hard up front, what should we do. Not promote a book up front and hope for readers later? That hardly works ever. I think in this industry it's 1 in 8,000 that it can work. And that's partially because there are about 400 books a month that ship. And right now, the only two examples that I can think of that picked up sales are Walking Dead and Adventure Time. Can you name books that go up in sales? Even Marvel and DC. The biggest pushes are the relaunches. They work well. Because that's what the fans say will work well by voting with their dollars. I've been working in comics for around 30 years. There's a change that has happened around 1998 that shows that most new sales are from #1's. That's predominatly it (sp?). If it were different, don't you think we would go for it? It's a lot easier and more fun to continue series as they continue to sell rather than ramp up for a new #1. But you know what, it's not our choice unless we wish to go out of business.

We've had The Green Hornet series for 32 issues. And Mark Waid is coming on board as a writer. If we placed his story in the middle of the current Green Hornet series, sales would go up maybe, and I mean maybe, 25% to 30%. By launching as a new #1, it should go up 400%. Which would you do to bring in more readers?

Your promoting a bad example and Dynamite will make the sky fall.

Not the case. We work hard to bring you the best books possible and keep them in the limelight. But it is the consumer and retailers who make the final decisions. Our decision is to put out the best books possible. Yours and your fellow fans is to keep it alive.

We don't point fingers. We just ask fans to help.

You do know that there are restaurants that thrive and die on word of mouth and some can't afford to advertise, right?

Be fair. Appreciate the hard work we put in to titles as well.

sincerely,

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

BTW - to be clear, we have no intention of cancelling the Spider. All I said was that David has written through issue #10, and we have it schedule at least till #12, sales pending.

No where did I say we're planning to cancel the series. The opposite. We plan on keeping it going. But sales will dictate.

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Obviously, this whole "The Spider is cancelled" "Don't cancel the Spider" "Dynamite cancels titles" has struck a cord and is bothering me.

Does anyone remember that Brett Matthews had an incredible 25 issue Lone Ranger run? Or that Jim Kuhoric had a nice run on The Army of Darkness? Or that Michael Avon Oeming wrote Red Sonja for at least 30 issues? Or that Brian Reed had a long Sonja run? Or that Eric Trautman did as well?

Or that Ande Parks right now is doing an incredible run on The Lone Ranger? After writing The Lone Ranger: Death of Zorro?

These seem to not count. These are series that continue. Because there is fan support and sales allow.

So, support the Spider, don't drop it based on these threads taken out of context, and help give word of mouth. Not just on The Spider, but all Dynamite series.

IF you want to help. If not, then as the comics industry has shown, more people will talk about it after the fact than during.

Let's try and not make this the case. Let's keep the series going.

Nick

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Oh, and Matt Wagner's 30 issues of Zorro

PLUS The Death of Zorro series.

Comment

• Nick, relax. You know I love you, right? I've written blogs and shouted out to the Twitter universe to purchase Dynamite titles and to give them a chance, heck, you can find me on CBR, Toonzone, Valiant-fans.com, and other forums spreading the Dynamite word day in and day out, so I hope you know that I truly am a "DEsuperfan" as you guys noted many times on your Twitter site.

With that said, we do disagree on a few things.....and that's fine, I'm still your fan and a fan of the company in which you all have built and I will continue to support you any which way I can. I just think that people are getting fed up with seeing certain titles come and go because we love these books and wan't them to stay, but business is business and I understand that.

Comment

• Oh and I wanted to mention one more thing.....

Maybe since people who don't belong to the forum still read the forum for news and views, and since this same discussion is going on over at CBR, possibly.....quite possibly.......fans will come together and speak the good word as well as fans who now see that sales with dictate this series future and may give the book a shot. All of this "speculation" could have drummed up enough fan support to keep this book alive. Afterall, any press is good press.

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

Thanks Manga4life,

It does help. We want to keep every series going. It's why we publish them.

And I get as disappointed as you guys do. Sometimes more so, because it's so close to us. It's actually a tough decision to cancel a book, and there are some books that we keep going out of love of the character and/or story.

There's a few series that we did lose money on and we continued to publish in the hopes of finding a larger audience. But it doesn't always work out.

Then we find new ways to reinvigorate (sp?) the characters and series.

We'll keep going.

And again, Black Terror is in Masks for a reason. Fans will find out why a bit after the series is over.

We'll keep doing our best.

And thank you for the fans who do support us.

best and Happy Holidays!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                                X