Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman '66 meets The Green Hornet!

Neat. Not a Smith fan though.

Kevin Smith stages comic book return in May, and he's bringing some old friends along with him.

He makes his first foray into digital-first comics with "Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet," a 12-part crossover between the DC Comics hit and Dynamite Entertainment's emerald crimefighter. Joining Smith for the adventure is co-writer Ralph Garman, a KROQ radio personality and actor, and Eisner Award-nominated artist Ty Templeton.

Discussing the series with USA Today, Smith said the experience is a dream come true. "It's like getting to be 5 years old again and tell stories that you would have made up while watching the show as a kid," he said. "To be able to do it, man, it really does bring it full circle in a bucket-list kind of fashion."

Beyond his obvious thrill at writing the team-up as a comic, Smith also mentioned his hope for the adventure to play out in animation, pointing out that all of the original actors, save for Bruce Lee, are still alive. "Adam [West] still sounds like Adam. Hopefully that's somewhere in the cards down the road, if the comic book connects the way we think it will."

"Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet" debuts May 21 on comiXology.

A look at the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BATMAN-GREEN-HORNET-COMICS-cover-217c3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	48830

Comment

Hooray! I will buy this in trade when it is complete!

Comment

I'm in - although I might wait for the print version coming out in June.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Batman '66 comic, and it will be nice to see the 1960s Green Hornet and Kato again (for the first time since the early 1990s, when NOW Comics had the license). The thing is, though, haven't we already all seen that team-up on the television series? True enough, that episode perhaps left something to be desired, from a scripting standpoint. But the mind can't help but wander, and wonder...

Wouldn't it be cool to see something like a 1939 Batman/Hornet encounter written and drawn by Matt Wagner? Think of it as a belated sequel to his two Batman Dark Moon Rising miniseries, as well as a sequel to his Green Hornet Year One series.

Or even a modern era team-up (or "versus") by someone like the current Detective Comics creative team of John Layton and Jason Fabok? Yeah, I can see the Bruce Lee version of Kato taking Damian Wayne's Robin down a peg or two...

Maybe even some kind of crazy Batman Beyond one-shot with Terry McGinnis meeting some new Reid scion wearing a Kamen Rider-style insectoid armored high-tech suit.

And Kevin Smith's mention of a cartoon had me dreaming of a "DC Universe Original Animated Movie" DTV spinoff of the gone-but-not-forgotten Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series, with Diedrich Bader rather than Adam West as Batman. Hey, Batman teamed up with Space Ghost in one episode, which makes anything seem possible.
          Last edited by pulphero; 03-11-2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            A look at the cover.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]731[/ATTACH]
            Alex Ross, from the look of it, which is pretty damn cool. But I want to see variant covers by Mike Allred, John Cassaday, Paolo Rivera, Francesco Francavilla, and Joe Jusko, too!
            Last edited by pulphero; 03-11-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              Wouldn't it be cool to see something like a 1939 Batman/Hornet encounter written and drawn by Matt Wagner? Think of it as a belated sequel to his two Batman Dark Moon Rising miniseries, as well as a sequel to his Green Hornet Year One series.
              Except that Dark Moon Rising was set in the early years of modern day...not the 30s.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedevil2002 View Post
                Except that Dark Moon Rising was set in the early years of modern day...not the 30s.
                Was it? Fooled me. It had that pulp feel through and through, even though it seemed Wagner was being purposely vague about dates. And it certainly didn't seem to fit with other flashbacks to the modern Batman's early career: Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Year Two. Maybe it was just another unlabeled Elseworlds, then. How else to explain the lack of continuity between Hugo Strange in this and the Englehart/Rogers stories? Come to think of it, there's a couple of Legends of the Dark Knight story arcs by Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy (the 5-part "Prey" and the 6-part "Terror") that don't fit with the events of either Batman and the Monster Men or the Englehart/Rogers Hugo Strange stories.

EDIT: After checking wikipedia on this, it claims BATMM takes place after "Year One" but before "The Man Who Laughs". I'm a little confused about where the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sales stories fit into that picture, but maybe it's a different continuity. It's kind of a shame that they just tossed the Englehart/Rogers stuff out, though. Apparently the same for Year Two, although it seems they changed their mind about that one at least once. "Prey" and "Terror" seem to fit better with the Loeb/Sales stories than BATMM, but IIRC they've never been beholden to any stories from that series being 'in-continuity', unless it was part of a crossover. Then just a few years prior to the New 52 reboot, Grant Morrison started bringing back elements of Silver Age continuity that hadn't been seen in years (Thomas Wayne's original 'Bat-Man' costume, the Club of Heroes/Batmen of All Nations, original Kathy Kane Batwoman). Not that it makes one bit of difference, since it's all water under the bridge since September 2011. I can't remember if Hugo Strange got a "Villains Month" one-shot or not; if he did I missed it.

All the various reboots and continuity implants over the past 30 years have made Batman a character whose history is almost as difficult to pin down as the Punisher, which is why I mostly don't bother with the character other than stories which are clearly (Arkham Asylum/City/Origins/Unhinged, Batman Beyond) outside of continuity these days.
                Last edited by pulphero; 03-13-2014, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I'm down to 2 DC books Astro City and Earth 2, neither of which are really connected to the New 52. Earth 2 only because it doesn't feature the old JSA.

I'll pick up the Batman 66/Green Hornet book as a trade. It might be fun but . . .
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                    I'm down to 2 DC books Astro City and Earth 2, neither of which are really connected to the New 52. Earth 2 only because it doesn't feature the old JSA.

I'll pick up the Batman 66/Green Hornet book as a trade. It might be fun but . . .
                    Well, Earth 2 (which, I'm sorry, I just can't stand to look at) is connected to the New 52 U by way of Worlds Finest (featuring Power Girl and the Huntress). Not the same universe, but in-continuity by virtue of being part of the same multiverse, characters from which have crossed over to Earth-N52. Plus they're clearly riffing off the situation from the initial story arc of the New 52 Justice League. It just feels like a slap in the face to the old-school DC fans -- i.e., the only reason this book should exist is nostalgia, sort of to throw a bone to those readers who had followed DC back in the pre-COIE era. But they couldn't even give us that much. It's just a prime example of how the new DC (since the ousting of Paul Levitz) goes out of its way to aggravate my hostility toward them. Of all of the New 52 titles, I find this one to be the most deeply offensive to my sensibilities, in an almost sacreligious way.

Having said that, I think they've actually improved on some characters that were either mostly vaguely defined (with a couple of exceptions) or had spotty records of publication, meaning the "Dark" corner (Constantine, Justice League Dark, Pandora, Phantom Stranger, and Swamp Thing), incorporating some stuff from the old Vertigo line without throwing out too much of the characters' backstory, and developing a sort of infrastructure of the magic realm and how the characters all fit within it. As for DC's traditional superhero characters and teams, I'm just giving them a pass. I had held on with Legion of Super-Heroes, the Green Lantern books, and Batman Incorporated for a while, because there seemed to be significant continuity with the pre-52 stories under the same pre-52 writers (Levitz, Johns, Tomasi, Morrison). But now that LSH and Batman Inc are gone, and the GL books under new creative teams, I've quit the DC superheroes (except for those out-of-continuty Batman books). I do read Vertigo stuff like Astro City and Tom Strong.
                    Last edited by pulphero; 03-14-2014, 02:51 AM.

Comment

I'm a JSA fan from way back. I agree with your coments and feelings about the new book. I'm ok as long as I don't think of it as the JSA. It's just a bunch of heroes witht the same names.
                      Astro city is probably my favorite book right now. It has the problem of being one one monthly book with so many interesting characters. I'd almost like to see Kurt become Editor/Co-plotter and but out a half dozen titles. I really enjoyed the last arc because it featured three of my favorite characters and we got to see what happened with the new Confessor . There are just to many stories to be told for one book.
                      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

G'day,

My recent experience with DC.

Hadn't read comics for some time.

Picked up New 52's Wonder Woman (she used to be one of my favorites)

Its was revolting thrash.

Found Dynamite, picked up Warlord of Mars, Shadow, Bionic Man etc.

Haven't looked back.

ta

Ralph

PS. If the rumors are true that Wondy will be a Kryptonian in the forthcoming movie not only will I not see the movie I will never pick up a DC title again.

Comment

I actually love Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest. They're the JSA, just the JSA of another alternate Earth. They're two of the very few New 52 titles I like and buy.

My March list of comics from DC, with some of my reasons for liking, are as follows:

TRINITY OF SIN: THE PHANTOM STRANGER #17 (by DeMatteis)
                          JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #29 (by DeMatteis)
                          JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #4 (by DeMatteis)
                          BATMAN/SUPERMAN #9 (by Pak)
                          WORLDS’ FINEST #21 (by Levitz and Earth-2-related)
                          EARTH 2 #21 (by Taylor and Earth-2-related)
                          ACTION COMICS #29 (by Pak)
                          LARFLEEZE #9 (by DeMatteis)
                          ALL-STAR WESTERN #29 (set in the past and with the same great writing team as Jonah Hex pre-New 52)
                          THE MOVEMENT #10 (by Simone)
                          ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #11 (non-New-52)
                          BATMAN ‘66 #9 (non-New-52)
                          BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #8 (non-New-52)
                          LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #2 (non-New-52)
                          BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM #12 (non-New-52)
                          ASTRO CITY #10 (non-New-52)

When I can afford them as back issues or in trade form, I will get the Parker and Jurgens Aquaman books and Gail Simone's Batgirl.

So for me the stuff which is set on the present-day main New 52 Earth, rather than far out enough in space as to be almost unrelated (like Larfleeze), in another time (JL 3000 and All-Star Western), or in/connected to another dimension (E 2, WF), are... Action, Batman/Superman, Movement (ending soon, and apart from a guest shot by Batgirl, could almost be outside the DCU), and Phantom Stranger/JLDark (again, only because it's DeMatteis). No Justice League, GL books, other Super-books or Bat-books, definitely no WW (the horror, the horror), and so on. I am sure that Parker and Jurgens can make a silk purse out of the sow's ear that Aquaman has been, but I must watch my pennies. Any crossover stuff, I am only getting the bits by the writers I like, so I hope that the two issues of the Doomsday thing that Pak is involved in will be enough for me to make sense of the story, because I'm damn well not buying Lobdell's title or SM/WW.

The moment DeMatteis leaves PS or JLD, unless it's by a writer I like, is the moment I drop those books. I like this stuff in spite of the overall New 52 DCU, rather than because it's a part of it, and regime change at DC cannot happen fast enough for me.

(End of wee rant. )

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                            I actually love Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest. They're the JSA, just the JSA of another alternate Earth. They're two of the very few New 52 titles I like and buy.

JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #4 (by DeMatteis)
                            Funny you should mention it. I found JL3000 almost as offensive to me as Earth 2, and for the same reasons. It's just like that Tangent Universe or Just Imagine Stan Lee... where they've taken the names (and the powers in the case of Earth 2 and JL3000) and left the actual original characters behind. As if I should care about this because of the names. Feels more like DC trampling the gravesites.

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                            ALL-STAR WESTERN #29 (set in the past and with the same great writing team as Jonah Hex pre-New 52)
                            Ah yes, another case of writers carrying over from the pre-New 52 run. I was ready to drop it when they moved Hex into the present New 52 U, but decided to stick with it in the hope that it would turn out to be just a story arc (which fortunately turned out to be the case). They did manage to work in a nice crossover with Swamp Thing, Constantine, and the Black Mercy plant from Alan Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything". I think they missed a good bet by not having him cross paths with Two-Face. Not sure how I feel about Hex getting his face fixed through plastic surgery before being sent back to the old west. Despite the need to work in references to the New 52 every few issues, Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray have done a pretty good job of transitioning from the pre-New 52 Jonah Hex series without having to toss the character's backstory out the window. There seems to be some recent controversy over whether the book is cancelled or not, with conflicting information coming from different sources. Frankly I'm surprised the book has lasted as long as it has. I was afraid bringing Hex into the present was a last-ditch attempt to avoid cancellation, but it would never have worked for me as an ongoing thing.

Comment

See, my interest in JL 3000 is solely because of DeMatteis. To me much of the New 52 is trampling on the characters far more.

Comment

Working...
                              X