The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Hornet View Post
    I don't know exactly, but my proprietor mentioned that their is a title called 'Green Hornet Classic'. I am sure there will be many mini-series as they go! I have a feeling that 'Kevin Smith's Green Hornet' is going to be in a continuity of its own, and not intersected with the other titles.

I would like to propose a new Green Hornet title called 'Green Hornet Generations' based on the Now Comics' rendition.
    Love that idea. If Dynamite did release a comic series that continued the Now comics story, I'd definitely would pick that up.

Comment

• The perfect mix in my opinion would me random series such as "Year One" and "Year Two" and other such years, as well as the Core DE GH series and a few mini's based on Kato. Other than that it's just overkill and the GH name will become saturated.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
        The perfect mix in my opinion would me random series such as "Year One" and "Year Two" and other such years, as well as the Core DE GH series and a few mini's based on Kato. Other than that it's just overkill and the GH name will become saturated.
        Agreed. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. At this point, I'm not sure which of the series are minis and which are ongoing. Personally, I think there really only be one ongoing series per a character in general. That way makes it easier for people to keep track of the books as well as the stories. When it comes to minis, however, I think there should be two or three at the most going at a time. Now as far as what i'd like to see in minis, I'm really game for anything. The only thing I'd absolutely want to see, if possible, is one based on the Now continuity; and I say that only because I really liked where the storyline was heading with the characters and would like to see some sort of closure to it since it was ended so abruptly when the company went out of business.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet23 View Post
          Agreed. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. At this point, I'm not sure which of the series are minis and which are ongoing. Personally, I think there really only be one ongoing series per a character in general. That way makes it easier for people to keep track of the books as well as the stories. When it comes to minis, however, I think there should be two or three at the most going at a time. Now as far as what i'd like to see in minis, I'm really game for anything. The only thing I'd absolutely want to see, if possible, is one based on the Now continuity; and I say that only because I really liked where the storyline was heading with the characters and would like to see some sort of closure to it since it was ended so abruptly when the company went out of business.
          I'd love to see at least a mini or two to wrap up the Now Comics story line. There was supose to be a Black Beauty special and a third Kato series. Ifm they were written and drawn Green Hornet Inc. should have them. I've got the HC of the first Now issues and would like to add others if they are released.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            I'd love to see at least a mini or two to wrap up the Now Comics story line. There was supose to be a Black Beauty special and a third Kato series. Ifm they were written and drawn Green Hornet Inc. should have them. I've got the HC of the first Now issues and would like to add others if they are released.
            I thought the Black Beauty special was the storyline in which it got destroyed and they replaced it with a new BB that was more retro in look. If not, I'd definitely like to see that as well.

Comment

• Kato's nationality

From what I've read around in the net it's quite a convoluted issue. According to Wikipedia, he was originally Japanese, then "oriental", then Korean in the movie serials and finally Filipino in the 1941 radio show.

This becomes a bit more confusing with the new comics. According to Matt Wagner's Green Hornet: Year One, he's Japanese and that should settle it. But judging from his clothes and the fact that he speaks mandarin with Britt he's, if not Chinese, at least of Chinese ancestry in Kevin Smith's Green Hornet. Also he names his daughter Mulan (according to the previews), which is a Chinese name.

I know I might just be making too much of a fuss about a simple thing. Kato's really a cool character (I'm quite surprised I'm the first guy with the username in this forums), no matter his ancestry. It's just that a clear origin would be nice.

That is unless Kevin's and Matt's Green Hornets don't share the same universe. In that case, just ignore the question.

Comment

• When he was first created in the Radio show, Kato was Japanese. They changed to Filipino later due to America being at war with Japan during WW2, Though the movie serials had him as Korean. In the TV series his nationality was never really established. In the Now Comic series, the story of the Green Hornet was presented as having a Generational, with the original Kato, Ikano Kato, being Japanese (though he posed as a Filipino during WW2 to keep from being put in an American internment camp. His son, Hayashi Kato (the Bruce Lee Kato), was portrayedas being Half-Japanese Half Chinese. The third Kato, Mishi Kato, Hayashi's much younger half-sister (Ikano remarried after his first wife died) was Half-Japanese Half-French.
                As for the newer versions, I'm not quite sure. We'll just have to wait and read the books as they come out to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet23 View Post
                  I thought the Black Beauty special was the storyline in which it got destroyed and they replaced it with a new BB that was more retro in look. If not, I'd definitely like to see that as well.
                  As I remember that happened in the second series. They created a new BB that didn't stand out as much as the one they had been using. Then at some point the old one was destroyed.
                  As a fan of the series you might get a kick uot the the fact that I had a letter printed in issue 13 (I think). I mentioned that Kato wasn't the only one to drive BB. During the radio show there are numerous times that the Green Hornet tells Kato "you drive" or starts BB. Why would he have to tell Kato to drive or start it if they didn't both drive BB
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Really, Cool.

Yeah, If I had a car like BB, I'd definitely want to drive it.

I guess it changed later on to Kato only driving because it made more sense as far as there cover went. They always have it in media where the crime lord is always driven around by a chauffer, so it wouldn't make much sense to the other criminals if Hornet drove himself around. At least, that's how I always figured it.

Comment

• Off topic, my favorite bit from the NOW series was the story of The Hornet's Hatmaker--and the running gag about the current Hornet's hat getting shot up practically every issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                        Off topic, my favorite bit from the NOW series was the story of The Hornet's Hatmaker--and the running gag about the current Hornet's hat getting shot up practically every issue.
                        Actually, that's a running gag with all of the Green Hornets. It's especially highlighted in Sting of the Green Hornet. through out the entire story, his hat was constantly being destroyed or damaged in some manner. Here's the conversation between GH and Kato at the end of the Final issue.

GH - "Well, Kato, I've had my fill of Nazi spies and saboteurs... Not to mention the Bloodthirsty Baroness! I think the Green Hornet and Kato deserve some time off."

Kato - "I'll drink to that!"

GH - "Besides, that was my last hat."

Comment

• I was a young kid growing up back in the sixties. I remember how popular and entertaining the Batman TV series was. Then Green Hornet came to TV.

I was really intrigued with this short-lived series. While Batman was campy, Green Hornet was done seriously, which got my attention. I didn't even know Bruce Lee was famous at the time but I thought Kato was really cool. I never forgot this program.

We only had a black and white TV back then. I've never seen either program on TV since the sixties and the producers won't release either series on DVD. I think they even did a Green Hornet/Batman crossover.

I was very excited that Dynamite was going to do a Green Hornet comic book. I bought the book. It was great to see the Black Beauty on the first page of the book. I thought they were going to do the original TV series at first. Now I am disappointed to find out that's not what they are going to do. I probably won't keep buying it.

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                          That is a fair point. But when you take a classic character, it is also true that your primary audience (the ones most likely to buy the book) are going to be fans of the "old" version. To do a drastic new take on an established character is bound to ruffle feathers. It is particularly pointless in this case because Smith is going to be introducing a "new" Hornet. The new Hornet can have any personality Smith wants to give the new character (i.e., there are no preconceptions for the new character), so why did he feel he also needed to change the old character? .

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                            I think they even did a Green Hornet/Batman crossover.

Comment

• Thanks for posting the pic with Green Hornet and Batman. Maybe DC and Dynamite could do a crossover like that.

Comment

• OOC? It's a movie....

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                                That is a fair point. But when you take a classic character, it is also true that your primary audience (the ones most likely to buy the book) are going to be fans of the "old" version. To do a drastic new take on an established character is bound to ruffle feathers. It is particularly pointless in this case because Smith is going to be introducing a "new" Hornet. The new Hornet can have any personality Smith wants to give the new character, so why did he feel he also needed to change the old character?
                                Again, this was a movie script. If this project started as a comic book, then yeah, I can see them wanting to attract more fans of the TV show and the NOW series. This wasn't like that...and taken into account that this was supposed to be onscreen, I take away from that two things.

1) That fans of the "old" version weren't necessarily the primary audience for this. For the general public unfamiliar with the character, this would just be another superhero movie.

2) The original Green Hornet was probably shown to be out of character to ramp up the action and the comedy in the opening sequences of what would have been a film.

Now, you could argue that Kevin Smith should have changed the opening more for his new comic book audience, and I think that's fair. I can't, nor would I bother to defend his decision on that point. But, I can say that I do know he wasn't paid to adapt his unused screenplay into a comic book script, at the insistance of the studio. So any changes he would have made during adaption would have been pro bono.

The point is not whether comics or movies are "better," it is that they are different art forms and what works for one does not work for the other. Good comics are simply not "movies on paper."
                                Agreed 100%.

Actually, to be truthfull, I prefer comics. There are some things in art that real life can't imitate, and while reading you can linger on that art. You control the pacing. The movie does the pacing for you; and the coolest parts flash past the screen and they're gone. I enjoy movies, but I LOVE comics.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                                Generally-speaking, I hate that kind of wisecracking dialogue in those situations anyway. It makes the situation look too easy for the characters so reduces suspense.
                                Yep. But it's pretty much action movie standard. While reading the comic I immediately fell into action movie mode, where certain tropes are recognised and allowed. The good guy walks into a room, with thirty armed bad guys and wins anyway, talking wise while doing it.

Absolutely none of that would occur in real life, but while watching an action film, I take it as a given and just try to enjoy the ride, and what's fun about it. I was able to do that this time.

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                                I was very excited that Dynamite was going to do a Green Hornet comic book. I bought the book. It was great to see the Black Beauty on the first page of the book. I thought they were going to do the original TV series at first. Now I am disappointed to find out that's not what they are going to do. I probably won't keep buying it.
                                I have to agree with you, in part here. Don't get me wrong, I like GH:YO, but reading that first part of Kevin Smith's Green Hornet really makes me want to continue with that version of the Hornet, if only for his dart guns with that great light/sound effect, and the original Black Beauty. (I really wish the car in GH:YO had green headlights).

From what I've seen of the modern Hornet, his gun is more superhero-y. It seems to shoot a stream of energy. ERRGH. I like the dart guns, I like the original Kato, I like the classic Black Beauty. It seems weird that Dynamite would be skipping that version, but who knows? With all these books coming out that may happen in the future.

The Year One Hornet is a solid, good character, and I do like that gun. For right now, the jury's out on the "modern" Hornet. We haven't seen him yet. But between him and the "near future" Green Hornet, I'm really excited for the latter. Matthews is good at what he does, and this completely new hornet looks more insect like (with the gas mask) and I find that to be very exciting. We'll see.

-Pistols
                                Last edited by TwinPistols; 03-26-2010, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X