No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The television Green Hornet was the most popular, memorable, and well known version of the character. The series even had the star power of Bruce Lee as Kato.

Dynamite is bringing out a number of GH titles. They are doing Year One set in the thirties and taking a risk publishing a contemporary version. Their first priority is to bring out Green Hornet #1 to retire the television version. This way, the version that most people would be interested in buying and reading isn't available. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm not saying don't do these other versions. With all the GH titles that Dynamite plans for, there should be room for the TV version.

Comment

• The first part of Kevin Smith's GH was almost entirely about the TV hornet. It was written to retire him. We haven't seen what the new Green Hornet is like.

Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post

I have to agree with you, in part here. Don't get me wrong, I like GH:YO, but reading that first part of Kevin Smith's Green Hornet really makes me want to continue with that version of the Hornet, if only for his dart guns with that great light/sound effect, and the original Black Beauty. (I really wish the car in GH:YO had green headlights).

-Pistols

Comment

• That was one of the most annoying things about the new Battlestar Galactica. I disliked that they made Starbuck a female. I was cognitive of that throughout the entire series. For that reason I am very apprehensive about the new Green Hornet series with a female Kato.

Why don't they just make Xena Warrior Princess a man? Another idea would be to make her partner Gabrielle a bearded lady.

I can't believe some of the things they did on the new BSG. Instead of the Imperious Leader they have a naked babbling idiot in a bath tub piloting the base ship. Why didn't they just throw some rubber duckies in the bath water to help with the guidance system. What are these writers smoking?

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post

This isn't a continuation of an existing series, it's one person's take. No different to me than having a female Starbuck in Galactica. Someone introduced to the show with no knowledge of the past series wouldn't care about that.

Comment

• Green Hornet Movie

ANy thoughts on the up coming Green Hornet Movie? I've seen pictures of the Black Beauty and it looks incredible!!

has anyone seen the Green Hornet Fan Film? Check it out at
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rjm53J1G4M
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• They haven't really released anything to indicate what type of tone the movie is going to have, and I think that that's going to play a big factor in how good the movie is going to be. Lately, it has been common practice for moviemakers to turn a movie into a comedy when remaking an old tv series, and I think that would be terrible. The Green Hornet has always been a fairly serious character and series with maybe a one-liner here or there from time to time. So, if they made it into a comedy, it just wouldn't work for me. I mean, look at Starsky and Hutch. It was an excellent series, and sure it had some humorous moments in it but it was still a drama more than anything else. But when they made the movie, they turned it into a comedy and it just ended up feeling like it was making fun of the series to me. Now, if the Green Hornet movie is done serious, I think it could be excellent. Still, it's too early to tell, so i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

As for the fan film, it was awesome. Perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say making the GH movie serious. there only one thing I find iffy with it, and that's a nitpick. Green Hornet's secret identity is just that, a secret. The crime boss shouldn't know it as if it's common knowledge. Green Hornet's true identity is his mosty closely guarded secret, so he takes numerous precautions to ensure it's safety. Again, just a nitpick, and there could be a good reason as to why he knows it, but there really isn't anything that is indicated. Anyway, all in all, It's a great interpretation of the Green Hornet.

Comment

• Good point

Your point is well taken. The only thing that Starship Troopers kept from the book were the bug aliens and the name of the main character.

The fact that Seth Rogen lost weight to be a more realistic Green Hornet makes it look to be a more Action/Drama mold then anything else. Also, check out the Black Beauty. Does that look like a car for a comedy?
              Attached Files
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• Collector Items

What is the most unusual Green Hornet Item(s) that you have?

I have a wrapper from the Topps card packs, the spoon (Missing the fork) and a litho from the Now Comics series signed by the artist and Van Williams

Comment

• I love that car. That's one of the first things I'm buying if I win the lottery. Anybody who tries to cut me off is going to get it.

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                  Does that look like a car for a comedy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    I love that car. That's one of the first things I'm buying if I win the lottery. Anybody who tries to cut me off is going to get it.
                    Lol...

I came across a charity auction once for the original Batmobile. It was neat to read all the various specs, bells and whistles on the car and about halfway through the paragraph see the term "flame-thrower" included.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      Your point is well taken. The only thing that Starship Troopers kept from the book were the bug aliens and the name of the main character.

The fact that Seth Rogen lost weight to be a more realistic Green Hornet makes it look to be a more Action/Drama mold then anything else. Also, check out the Black Beauty. Does that look like a car for a comedy?
                      True. After seeing the Black Beauty and a leaner Seth Rogen, I got a strong feeling that they were taking this serious, But it's one of those things that you can't be 100% sure of until they release a trailer or something.

Comment

• Promising part of a review of #2 (on Newsarama)

"There are few series out there whose second issue is better than their first, but Green Hornet is one of them. Get it."

Okay, I will.

Comment

• Green Hornet #2 begins just like GH #1 ended -- with a snapshot of Britt jrs. bare butt. The Green Hornet is a serious crime fighter. Treating him or his successor in such an undignified manner just isn’t right. It tells me that the writer doesn’t take the Green Hornet seriously.

In the last panel, a female fighter is standing over Britt Reid. Britt exclaims “Kato?” This seems to imply that Kato had a sex change. I certainly hope that’s not what he meant.

Kato has been long established as male. Not only that, he is closely identified with Bruce Lee. The question in my mind has always been, which martial arts fighter would be great enough to replace him? So far I am not liking the treatment of Green Hornet and Kato in this book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                            In the last panel, a female fighter is standing over Britt Reid. Britt exclaims “Kato?” This seems to imply that Kato had a sex change. I certainly hope that’s not what he meant.
                            Are you sure that you read issue #1? The Bruce Lee Kato is present and fighting in the flashback. Remember that "Kato" is the family name. I think Britt's question at the end of issue #2 indicates that, looking up and seeing his son fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with an Asian (who uses Hornet darts), Britt guesses that this is "a" Kato. It implies that the woman is related to the Bruce Lee Kato, not that it is the Bruce Lee Kato. I'm guessing she is a daughter of the prior Kato, to pair with Britt's son Britt.

And, really, just because the Bruce Lee Kato was male is no reason to conclude that his children must necessarily be male...

Kato has been long established as male.
                            I assume you missed the NOW Comics Green Hornet series? Because a female Kato appeared there, too. She was the sister of the Bruce Lee Kato and daughter of the original (radio) Kato. Thus, a female Kato is not unheard of. You just need to take a broader generational view. I think that is what this series is about. This isn't "Star Trek," it is "Star Trek: The Next Generation." To complain that the next generation Kato is female would be like complaining that Data wasn't a Vulcan.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck
                            Promising part of a review of #2 (on Newsarama)

"There are few series out there whose second issue is better than their first, but Green Hornet is one of them. Get it."
                            I have to say I agree with this. The second issue was better than the first. But the major fight sequence really stretched the credulity of comic book physics--which is saying something when you consider the physical impossibilities (like people flying with no noticeable means of propulsion) that we tend to accept as a matter of course.

Comment

• I really liked the second issue, but when are we actually going to get to see the New Green Hornet and Kato. I don't really mind the cinematic style of story telling, it can make for excellent stories. My only problem with it is pacing. Kevin Smith focuses so much on dialog and expotion that by the end of the issue, it really doesn't feel like much has happened to actually propel the story forward. The fight scene at the end was awesome, but he end it with a cliffhanger, leaving you wanting more. Now, that's actually a good strategy to keep people coming back, and I don't really fault him for that, it's just that I just hope he get's to the Green Hornet and Kato action soon, even if it's only at the end of issue 3. Because, if he drags it out too long, it will get really frustrating, at least for me. I mean, it's one thing if you have the entire thing at hand and am able to read it from start to finish, but when it's broken up into multiple issues, it can become very monotonous wait for them to be released so that the story may continue. That said, I will be sticking with this because I'm really enjoying the direction this is heading in.

Comment

• It's alright.

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                                I have to say I agree with this. The second issue was better than the first. But the major fight sequence really stretched the credulity of comic book physics--which is saying something when you consider the physical impossibilities (like people flying with no noticeable means of propulsion) that we tend to accept as a matter of course.
                                Yeah, the action was exaggerated, to say the least. Lady Kato did some cool things this issue, and some scratch-your-head, mind boggling things, but overall, I thought it was a good comic. The backstory/set-up in this issue read a lot better for me than in the first one, while I liked the action in the first comic better than here, in issue two. Weird how that played out.

@GreenHornet23: With the way the story is paced, and with the big classified secret that is issue three, I'm betting that we'll see the new Hornet and Kato starting in issue four. If we do see them earlier, in issue three, I'm betting that it will be no more than the last page of the comic.

And that's my prediction.

-Pistols

Comment

Working...
                                X