No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Hornet started in radio in 1936 with Kato as a male. A female version didn't appear until about 50 years later. The creators didn't approve of this version and she was replaced with a male version. I am correct in saying that Kato was long established as a male.

You have a valid point about the generational shift. However, making Kato female seems more analogous to making Starbuck female. The characters are still the Green Hornet and Kato. The Star Trek series TOS and TNG clearly defined themselves as different. This made it easier for the fans to disassociate the characters in the respective series from each other.

Originally posted by Tulku View Post

I assume you missed the NOW Comics Green Hornet series? Because a female Kato appeared there, too. She was the sister of the Bruce Lee Kato and daughter of the original (radio) Kato. Thus, a female Kato is not unheard of. You just need to take a broader generational view. I think that is what this series is about. This isn't "Star Trek," it is "Star Trek: The Next Generation." To complain that the next generation Kato is female would be like complaining that Data wasn't a Vulcan.

Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 04-02-2010, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
      You have a valid point about the generational shift. However, making Kato female seems more analogous to making Starbuck female. The characters are still the Green Hornet and Kato. The Star Trek series TOS and TNG clearly defined themselves as different. This made it easier for the fans to disassociate the characters in the respective series from each other.
      I'll have to disagree on this. The Starbuck sex change was literally changing the precise original character--without a word of explanation. That is not what is happening here. Here, time has passed and a new generation is coming on. That is much closer to the Star Trek analogy. Yes, ST:TNG clearly defined itself as different from the original series by emphasizing that time had passed (which is why the incredibly ancient Dr. McCoy showed up in the first episode). In the same way, this comic started up emphasizing that time had passed and that the new generation will be completely different from the old.

Comment

• Is it really going to be completely different from the old? This is still going to be about the Green Hornet and Kato but with 2 different people assuming their identities. Other than that, what is the difference?

In the same way, this comic started up emphasizing that time had passed and that the new generation will be completely different from the old.
        Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 04-02-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Finally picked up issue 2 to start, skipped #1. I had been debating. The mixed reviews scared me away a bit but I took the chance and picked it up with low expectations honestly. Especially since I never read, heard any of the old radio show or any tv about green hornet other than knowing there was an old radio show

It may have been the factor that i have nothing to compare it to but what I read was definitely great and enjoyable. It's now officially on my pull list every month. The story has me looking forward to next issue and wanting it to hurry and get here as any good comic book story should

Comment

This is still going to be about the Green Hornet and Kato but with 2 different people assuming their identities. Other than that, what is the difference?
            Ummm, well, that IS the difference. Different people with different personalities, attitudes, sensibilities, senses of humor, strengths, weaknesses...

It is sort of like the old joke about the guy selling the "original" axe with which George Washington chopped down the cherry tree--it is just that since George used it the ax head has been replaced 5 time and the axe handle replaced 9 times. It just is not the same axe.

So who do you think is going to die? TV Britt would seem to be the early favorite, but they could surprise us by killing off TV Kato. Or they could really surprise us and kill off young Britt Jr (bringing TV Britt out of retirement--aches & pains & arthritis and all) but that seems highly unlikely. Girl Kato seems safe, since a female Kato is clearly shown on future covers. But you know we never really confirmed that the woman who appeared in issue #2 was the woman depicted on the covers. There could be another Asian female hiding in the wings.

All that being said, my bet is that TV Kato gets killed off, leaving Britt, Sr. to act as advisor to young Britt as the new Hornet teaming with Kato-ette for her revenge.

Well, no, let me rephrase that. I am not betting on it. I'd just find that a more interesting approach. Killing off Britt Sr. would be such a tedious cliche to motivate the new Hornet.

Comment

• I get the feeling that the one to die will be TV Kato. I also get the feeling that if he is the one to die, it will be a ruse, faking his own death to become the Black Hornet. I'm not sure what his reasons would be for doing so, that's just the feeling I get.

Comment

• I finally got around to reading this earlier tonight and enjoyed it a whole lot more than #1.

I`ll admit that I`m not a big fan of Lau`s art though, particularly in action scenes. I find his stuff sometimes hard to follow.

Some ridiculous moves in that whole bit, but cool as all hell, so I dig it.

There was indeed a lot of dialogue but I thought it helped to establish relationships between characters. Oddly, the father/son one was the one I felt seemed least real.

All in all, i`m far more optimistic and eager than I was about a month ago.

Comment

• Which GH#2 cover did you choose?

Simple question...

All four were available to me and I went with Benitez`s. I just like the pin-up style of covers.
                  Last edited by Captain Canuck; 04-08-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• Those are the differences between the old and new Battlestar Galactica, male Starbuck and female Starbuck. Star Trek TOS and TNG were two different things. The characters in the new Star Trek series weren't trying to be like the characters in the old series or taking their identities. This is why I said that a female Kato seems more analogous to a female Starbuck.

It would make sense that Britt Sr. dies since it would give his son a motive to become the Green Hornet. I know that writers often don't do the obvious so it might not be him. I am in favor of killing off Britt jr. and the female Kato. The TV Kato could run them down with the Black Beauty. They could make the new Black Beauty a Toyota for the reason.

Ummm, well, that IS the difference. Different people with different personalities, attitudes, sensibilities, senses of humor, strengths, weaknesses...

So who do you think is going to die?

Comment

• I went with the Ross cover, because it had the Black Beauty on it. If my memory is correct, my only choices were Ross or Segovia. But even if I had all four to choose from, I think I would still have gone with Black Beauty. It is as much a part of the team as Kato.

Although the distinctive nature of the car on the cover did make me think back to the NOW series--it started with a distinctive BB, but then it did a storyline where the BB was destroyed and the Hornet decided that going with a distinctive car was just painting a bullseye on himself, so he replaced it with a car that could "pass" for normal. I wonder if the DE Hornet will similarly come to regret the uniqueness of the BB shown on the cover. That assumes, for the sake of argument, that the BB ever makes an appearance INSIDE the book--after all, neither the new-designed Hornet costume nor the leather-clad Kato-ette costume have actually appeared as yet!

Comment

I am in favor of killing off Britt jr. and the female Kato. The TV Kato could run them down with the Black Beauty. They could make the new Black Beauty a Toyota for the reason.
                        Ha! And Toyota is Japanese, so it would fit! I admit, that's a plot line that had not occurred to me! Now that really would be a surprise that would keep the fans talking all year.

Comment

• It was tough!!

Ross, again for the Black Beauty, but ugh, Cassaday's cover was soooo tempting.

-Pistols

Comment

• Picking my #3 cover will be tough...

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...Kato040610.jpg

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...rnet040610.jpg

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...Kato040610.jpg

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...rnet040610.jpg

I'm leaning towards "New Hornet" since, while I doubt the caption is accurate, the first time I saw it I thought it was a Neal Adams cover, and he may be my all-time favourite.

Comment

• Reprint series

DC has the rights to Doc Savage and is reprinting the Marvel Series from the 70s. That's right DC is reprinting a Marvel title (go figure). That got me wondering if Dynamite could reprint the Now Comics or even more intertestingly the 1940s Holyoke/Harvey series.
                              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Nice company in terms of (estimated) March sales:

17...Justice League of America 43
                                18...Amazing Spider Man 627
                                19...Amazing Spider Man 625
                                20...Kevin Smith Green Hornet
                                21...Amazing Spider Man 626
                                22...Nemesis 1
                                23...Mighty Avengers 35
                                24...Hulk

#2 was also included in the 60th spot. Year one is at #99.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25707

Comment

Working...
                                X