No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He is older in the third issue but he is accompanied by his son and Kato's daughter.

Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post

Not at all, really, considering that, in the latest issue, he is at least 20-25 years older than he was when he took on the mobsters.

Comment

• Just noticed

There is a goof on the DE title page. It refers to Kato: Origns as being part of the Kevin Smith series but the covers clearly say from Grren Hornet Year One.

Not a big thing, but curious.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post
        Hehheh...well "The Death" was obvious. I don't think it surprised anyone. Overall though, I thought it was a good comic. What's your prediction? Could it be in regard to the identity of The Black Hornet? If so, I have a good guess myself, on that one.
        Oddly enough, under my guesswork the one thing I don't actually have an idea about is the identity of The Black Hornet.

My predictions (they are guesses, so they aren't spoilers) are grounded in the sheer non-originality of The Death. That leads me to expect that: A romantic relationship will develop between Britt Jr. and Katoette. At first, they will bicker and show dislike for each other, but over time as they work together they will come to feel closer to each other. This budding romance, however, will suddenly be jeopardized as Katoette comes to the conclusion that the bad guy who is behind the Black Hornet (but not the BH himself) is old family friend Scanlon. Think of this as the first Mission: Impossible movie twist--a good guy from the series suddenly becomes evil. What a shock, nobody will see it coming. Scanlon, having been in power so long, became corrupted and wants to stay in power. He realizes Britt Sr. would see through this immediately and try to stop him, so Frank does a preemptive strike to kill Britt Sr. It is also why Scanlon wanted to quiz Britt, Jr. about what he knows about the Green Hornet--to determine if Junior will be a threat.

Anyway, Junior refuses to believe Katoette, so she goes off on her own to find proof and falls into the villain's clutches. Junior, who somehow comes to realize she was right, goes to her rescue. This leads to their first kiss. Junior is then left with the choice: does he take revenge of Scanlon or let the law take over. After a grim personal struggle, he decides that his father would not take a life and so he opts to let the law take its course (even though, because Scanlon knows who he is and will blab it, it may mean The End Of The Green Hornet). Tense, gut wrenching decision. Scanlon then makes an ill-advised decision to try to kill off Junior and Katoette one more time. This backfires and he dies through his own machinations. How ironic.

I will point out that Issue #3 does contain some hints that this is how it will unravel. When the Black Hornet shows up on page 1, Britt Sr.'s first words are "Oh, Frank, no..." I would argue that this shows Britt Sr. instantly realized that it was a gimmick pulled by Scanlon--which is what Scanlon feared. The captions also, ominously, point this way. The captions were talking about how Scanlon is looking for one more term and, on page 2 (the full page picture of BH) reads "And this? This is how he thought he'd win it." I don't think this is referring to the fundraiser, but to the Black Hornet.

As always, nobody will be happier than me to be proved wrong. I love to be surprised by a plot twist that I do not see coming. Project Superpowers does it all the time!

Comment

• Scanlon is behind the Black Hornet alright. Even in issue #2 where Britt Sr. and Frank are having a conversation on the balcony, Frank tells Britt that he considered asking him to come back as the Hornet to put a scare into the town and remind the people that they need a mayor who has dealt with organized crime before. He said that the Green Hornet got him into office 4 times. Then he complains about the polls.

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
          I will point out that Issue #3 does contain some hints that this is how it will unravel. When the Black Hornet shows up on page 1, Britt Sr.'s first words are "Oh, Frank, no..." I would argue that this shows Britt Sr. instantly realized that it was a gimmick pulled by Scanlon--which is what Scanlon feared.

Comment

• I liked Kato Origins better than the other Green Hornet titles. He reminded me of the Bruce Lee Kato. I like the way he can kick the shit out of everybody so easily. Kato is cool.

I never thought about what his nationality was before. I was just intrigued that he knew the martial arts.

I loved the artwork in this issue. Colton Worley did an excellent job drawing Kato. He knows how to convey emotion and action. I can tell he really knows Kato. But there was a scene where the cars looked too small and another where Britt Reid didn't look right. However, I loved the cover (I got the main cover) and even the inside cover. I wouldn't mind owning the original artwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwsq...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Iux...eature=related
            Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 05-05-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
              There is a goof on the DE title page. It refers to Kato: Origns as being part of the Kevin Smith series but the covers clearly say from Grren Hornet Year One.

Not a big thing, but curious.
              So do you think that Origins and Year One were meant to be background stories to the Kevin Smith version, or do they have nothing to do with one another, really?

I always assumed that they were tied together but I'm not so sure anymore. Parallel Lives, said to be a prequel to the movie, clouds that whole thing even more for me.

I don't mind different versions, but am less interested if those versions aren't all that different, if you know what I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                I liked Kato Origins better than the other Green Hornet titles. He reminded me of the Bruce Lee Kato. I like the way he can kick the shit out of everybody so easily. Kato is cool.

I never thought about what his nationality was before. I was just intrigued that he knew the martial arts.

I loved the artwork in this issue. Colton Worley did an excellent job. He knows how to convey emotion and action. I can tell he really knows Kato. I loved the cover (I got the main cover) and even the inside cover. I wouldn't mind owning the original artwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwsq...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Iux...eature=related
                Lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUuv_...eature=related

Comment

• Great first issue in my opinion! We were treated to a little bit of action, some interesting story and a whole bunch of racism, lol strange but funny. Still, the racism helped with the story so I was okay with it, otherwise I don't condone it, but as a whole I felt this was a great first issue and now I'm wanting more stories based on older GH!

As for stories connecting, I consider everything put out by DE to be interconnected but through different time periods, I enjoy the continuity thus far.
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                    the racism helped with the story so I was okay with it, otherwise I don't condone it
                    I don't condone racism unless it is in this context. It fits the feeling at the time (Pearl Harbour etc). It helps set the time and feeling for an ecellent story.
                    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...149&disp=table

A nice preview by CBR on Kato's new series, hopefully it's ongoing instead of a limited series.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Comment

• Personally, the more Green Hornet material they release the more they are lessening the importance of the Green Hornet revival. Honestly, I can see them having the core series, the Year One series and a Kato series, but thats it, anything more than that is kind of unneeded. Once Green Hornet gets to be popular enough and has his core series doing well and deep in print then I can see where all these other stuff is needed, but as of right now it feels like too much too soon.

I'm hoping it's good though, at least that would make it worth it.
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

• I agree with you. Overexposure is a bad thing.

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          Personally, the more Green Hornet material they release the more they are lessening the importance of the Green Hornet revival. .

Comment

• From comicscontinuum.com:

"GREEN HORNET GOLDEN AGE RE-MASTERED #1

Based on stories by Fran Striker, art by Bert Whitman Associates, cover by Joe Rubenstein.

A new series of Golden Age reprints featuring the classic adventures of the original Green Hornet! Each issue in this new series of classic Hornet material is 40 big pages, featuring stories all inspired by the man who started it all Fran Striker! Completely re-mastered for today's discerning reader and collector, Dynamite has also commissioned Joe Rubenstein to create brand-new covers, inspired by the Golden Age comics of yesteryear!"

I just hope that they also continue all the way through to Now Publications' releases of the 90's. I look forward to these stories and the stories from the 40-60s.

Tony

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet23 View Post
                              I, for one, am looking forward to this. It's always fun to see new and different versions of a favorite character of mine.
                              On sale this week!

Looking forward to it. It might be a good way to draw fans who might be interested in the character but feel they may not know enough of the traditional Hornet history. Hope it gets good buzz.

Pun intended.

Comment

• If I was to get only one of the Green Hornet titles, it would be Kato Origins.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                                I like this idea, personally, although this is an awful lot of material based around one character in a short amount of time. I might have waited on this one, and the Kato stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X