The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
    Out of character for the Green Hornet or his successors. The Green Hornet isn't supposed to be jumping around like Spider-man making Smart Alec remarks. He is a serious crime fighter thought to be a criminal.
    That makes no sense. Different versions of characters are like different "people" who are going to have different personalities.

Comment

Out of character for the Green Hornet or his successors. The Green Hornet isn't supposed to be jumping around like Spider-man making Smart Alec remarks. He is a serious crime fighter thought to be a criminal.
      Thats why I said I was not going to consider it "canon" even though I enjoyed it, it was still a good read despite being out of character. Heck, DC could put out a series of Superman acting like a pimp from New York City and I would still buy it if it was entertaining, just because its different does not make it bad.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

It was deliberate move. They wanted to create a Green Hornet that was different from the ‘standard’ versions. Sort of like the Now Comics Green Hornet from the Dark Tomorrow series. In that series the Green Hornet was a criminal who had to be reminded that the criminal part was a cover for the crime busting activities.
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Damn, Kato's wife is HOT!!!! Nice clevage shot early in the book followed by a perfect butt shot a few pages later, it's a shame she had to buy the farm so early....I do feel bad for Kato. Should be a good fight in the next issue between Kato and her assailant, hopefully our favorite sidekick will get some revenge for the loss of his (HOT!) wife.
          Dynamite Entertainment
          Forum Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            I think the reason Mulan is growing on me is simply that she doesn't talk. In this book, that goes a long way.
            This may possibly get my vote for Comment Of The Year.

Comment

• How I would have done it is I would have put the focus on the main title by Smith and once I hot 12-14 issues and saw some success in the character I would have then put out a Year One series to see how well it did. If it continued to do well then I would have introduced Kato's series around GH #15 or #16, I like the slow approach because it allows you to gage how successfull you are being without the risk of burying yourself all at once.

Comment

• Not a bad first issue, like Comix said we wind up with some nudity and some sexy boob shots, even the daughter is depicted as being a sex-pot in her little work out clothes. I likie! Fun series though, Kato needs to kick some but on his womans killer next issue.

Comment

• Perhaps, but the quirk with the Hornet is that most of the series feature a literally different character. GH: Year One and Kato Origins deal with the Radio Hornet & Kato. Smith's GH and Kato deal with the children of the TV Hornet & Kato and GH Strikes is some future version whose connection to the rest of them is still undisclosed. In short, it is not like Batman or Spider-Man appearing in a half dozen titles simultaneously. While they all call themselves Green Hornet they are literally different people at different points in time.

So, in my long-winded way, what I am saying is that waiting to see the fallout from the Smith Hornet would not have done anything for the sales of these other versions because they do not appear to be connected in any way to the Smith version. And thank God for that!

Comment

• No one is referring to him by name, but it's clear to everyone that this is the Black Hornet, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                      Perhaps, but the quirk with the Hornet is that most of the series feature a literally different character. GH: Year One and Kato Origins deal with the Radio Hornet & Kato. Smith's GH and Kato deal with the children of the TV Hornet & Kato and GH Strikes is some future version whose connection to the rest of them is still undisclosed. In short, it is not like Batman or Spider-Man appearing in a half dozen titles simultaneously. While they all call themselves Green Hornet they are literally different people at different points in time.

So, in my long-winded way, what I am saying is that waiting to see the fallout from the Smith Hornet would not have done anything for the sales of these other versions because they do not appear to be connected in any way to the Smith version. And thank God for that!
                      I have to agree with both you and Chad. I don't mind the multiple titles too much because they are all based around different GH's, if it was all inter-connecting in the same era then I would be a little reluctant to give it a shot because of over-saturation. But, the average fan probably does not realize that all of these titles are different and don't connect indirectly and they will probably pass it off as a greedy revival by a company who loves to produce multiple variant covers and multiple titles based around one person.

I can see both sides to the multiple titles argument, I just hope the character remains successful for DE because I'm really loving what I'm reading so far.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Comment

• I know that its easier to promote a Kevin Smith book from a movie script and based in the present than a Matt Wagner book based in the late 30's.

However, I wonder what would have happened if they'd hyped and released Year One first, and only that book in the first month. The reviews for KSGH have been mixed, to be kind, but had all the attention be directed to GHYO instead I think it could have gotten real good buzz as a quality book. Also, there was a point there where it was hard to tell what was what, tied in to what other series, ho wlong and coming out when.

I think I would have held off on Kato Origins until after Year One. It's not as though they complement each other like the two KS books do (or are supposed to).

There was no hurry for Strikes either, that could have come out whenever.

Honestly though, Dynamite has made me a believer. I haven't bought a Marvel book in years and I've lost interest in most of the DC stuff. I'm fed up with Wars and criseseses. Compared to those things, buying even two Hornet-related titles a week is peanuts.

Comment

• When the character is that different they should give him a different name. They could call him the Green Stinger or something like that. Just going by the title one would expect to read about the traditional Green Hornet.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                          That makes no sense. Different versions of characters are like different "people" who are going to have different personalities.
                          It has a lot of good points.

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          it was still a good read despite being out of
                          just because its different does not make it bad.
                          I think the Green Hornet always was made out to be a criminal.

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                          be reminded that the criminal part was a cover for the crime busting activities.
                          Last edited by comixfan1980; 05-31-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Kato #2 (spoilers)

This issue was a slugfest between Juuma and Kato while Kato's daughter spent a day alone with her love interest, but man o' man was there a lot of fighting going on between Kato and his wife's assailant. Kato let him get away and then did a personal little ceremony for his wife, it was nice to see but sad at the same time, I think he is right to order his daughter into hiding to protect herself but we all know she wont go willingly and will get in on the action before long.
                            Dynamite Entertainment
                            Forum Administrator

Comment

• When did this issue come out?
                              I was at my LCS on Thursday and it wasn't there.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                                When did this issue come out?
                                I was at my LCS on Thursday and it wasn't there.
                                It comes out this Wednesday, I get advanced copies because I'm awesome. Just kidding, but yeah, it comes out Wed the 9th.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                                X