No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, I didn't really know what you were talking about when I first read this, but I heard them a little while later. Not sure about the radio show reference, but great googly moogly are they ever irritating!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
      This issue was a slugfest between Juuma and Kato while Kato's daughter spent a day alone with her love interest
      That wasn't his daughter, that was a flashback of Kato with his now-deceased wife. His daughter was busy getting bounced out of a club as all this was happening.

It's a little confusing because Juuma (now) refers to Kato-dad's young wife, and the flashback is from 22 years ago. So his wife would now have to have been about 40, otherwise Kato had issues. If Juuma was about the same age as Britt jr when his old man got put away, he'd be in his late 20's so referring to her as young makes little sense. That's how I read it anyway.

The synchronization between the two books is a little goofy. I enjoyed the fight scenes, of course. Diego Bernard gets credit for the art without Ale Garza and personally, I thought it was an improvement.

All right, I'm off to read KSGH#5. Wish me luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirseaspraysr View Post
        The main problem with having to get your Green Hornet fix through Year 1-2-3 prequels is that the character is forever stuck in the past. He will never deal with the Internet, Economic Meltdowns, Al Qaeda, new Presidents, etc. Its always 1966.
        Or the 1930s and 1940s if you are a fan of the Original Green Hornet rather than Version 2 presented in the TV series.

Of course, the problem with being current is that it requires an even greater suspension of disbelief. With security cameras everywhere and DNA testing and all that other neat science CSI shows us each week, it is fairly clear that keeping a secret identity these days is a load of work.

(That last bit sounds familiar. Did I swipe it from an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?)

On the other hand, in the mid-60s and definitely in the 1930s and 1940s it was actually credible that a masked mystery-man and his masked helper could maintain a secret identity.

And while you are right that the older versions cannot deal with modern technology or current events, that does not mean the the older versions lack interest. By way of proof, I offer you Kato Origins. Using the Original Kato from the radio series it has added (in only 2 issues) more depth to the character and his motivations than the radio series ever gave him in its entirety. If you are interested in characters/personalities rather than gimmicks, the time period that the character is placed is irrelevant. In fact, the less technologically advanced the time, the more interesting it becomes because there are fewer "easy" solutions to problem (like, in the Smith Hornet #5 where the Black Beauty, we are told, can drive at Mach 5, fast enough to escape, well, frankly, virtually any form of transport on the planet)(yeah, it is preposterous, so I am going to pretend it was a joke by Smith). Without having the crutch of new technology to fool your enemies with lifelike holograms, the old-timey heroes actually have to outthink their foes. And I find that very interesting to read.

While I do not particularly like the Smith Hornet, it is not because he updated the character with new people and a Katoette. I loved the NOW Comics Hornet, and that updated the character and had a Katoette too. But it was thoughtful and well written.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
          Really, Rogen appears to be similar to the Kevin Smith's Hornet.
          I was thinking that, too. Do you think Smith will sue them for stealing his "amazingly original and novel" ideas?

For that matter, is there anybody in Hollywood who actually HAS an original idea anymore?

And while I am on a grumpy roll, is it physically impossible for somebody to become a masked hero unless their parents are killed by criminals?

Comment

• Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post
            ...basically, I hate Britt Jr. now. I hate him!!!

I think the point is, to turn him around as a character, so that he's more likeable. Well, I wish Kevin would get him there. Right now, I hate his guts. His reaction to the knowledge of his dad being the Green Hornet is false, wrong and uncalled for
            Judging from #5, there's a hell of a long way to go to make him even tolerable.

He might actually come off as a lovable loser type if you didn't get the sense that Smith actually wanted this guy to be cool and comical and is just failing miserably at it.

Without giving anything away, as you know, he interjects himself in the mission. He whines throughout, tries to take charge, then makes the slightest contribution and feels as though he might have a future in the business. It's completely ludicrous.

The irritating thing is that it could be a very fun book...if not for the main character. You know sooner or later the character will have to grow up but it's excruciating getting there.

Anyway, that aside, I liked this issue.

Comment

• Actually, I did find a glimmer of hope in Issue #5. I, too, don't want to give anything away, but about two-thirds of the way through the fifth issue, Smith finally gave me a plot twist that I did not anticipate! HooHa! Pity about the garbage in the first two-thirds of the book that I was forced to read first...

Comment

• I think it was in 2008 that Iron Man came to the big screen. This was one of the most popular superhero movies of all time. Iron Man was created in the sixties. Yet the movie stayed true to his origin. About forty years later Tony Stark is still Iron Man.

The Green Hornet came to television in the sixties. The Van Williams/Bruce Lee portrayal was the best version of Green Hornet and Kato ever. They should have done the same thing that they did with Iron Man. They should have kept the Green Hornet the same with a 21st century backdrop. Comic book characters don't usually age naturally and there was no need to kill Britt Reid off.

Kato is the last sidekick that you would want to change to a female. Kato is synonymous with Bruce Lee. He brings star power, excitement and interest to the comic book character. Any writer who thinks Kato should be a female has no appreciation, respect, and very little knowledge of the Green Hornet and Kato. Just changing Kato to a female is reason enough not to accept the manuscript for serious consideration as a screenplay.

Comment

• I admit I would have a read Green Hornet series set in modern day with the original Green Hornet and Bruce lee style Kato. That being said I am also enjoying The current version as well as the Green Hornet Strikes while I have no interest in the old style set in the 60's Green Hornet titles. Doesn't mean I want them to fail. I hope all stick around so everyone can enjoy what they like in a Green Hornet series and I hope they expend on the Phantom just as they did with Green Hornet

Comment

• Originally posted by booziehand View Post
                    That being said I am also enjoying The current version as well as the Green Hornet Strikes while I have no interest in the old style set in the 60's Green Hornet titles.
                    Just because I am a stickler for accuracy, I have to point out that there is NO "old style set in the 60's" GH titles. There are two set in the 1930s/40s (GH Year One and Kato Origins). There are two "current day" (Smith GH and Smith Kato). And there is one future (GH Strikes). Actually, that is a point of some irritation for the TV Hornet fans--for all the titles out there, there are none featuring the TV Hornet & Kato.

Comment

• I heard a rumor that the movie is not going to be good.

http://liveretroradio.podomatic.com/...04_53_18-07_00

Comment

• I'm glad you do. Personally, I don't enjoy poorly written dialogue, predictable plots, superheros acting out of character, and substandard artwork.

Originally posted by booziehand View Post
                        . That being said I am also enjoying The current version

Comment

• Come on, give me a break. Seth Rogen is perfect for Britt Reid. He has something that action stars don't have, a sense of humour. And to all those who still disagree, i dare you to tell me someone else who would play him better.

To those who think the movie is gonna suck, watch the trailer. Its quite simply awesome. If i could see only one movie in the next decade, it would be this. If your sources say its gonna suck, then they suck and should be ignored. You just wait, this movie is gonna kick ass!

Comment

• I enjoy all 5 of the recent comics. Most of all would probably be Year One. I am looking forward to the new ones to come out. Parallel Lives looks decent enough, and Remastered looks pretty interesting too.

Although, i am getting a little pissed off about the constant wait on Green Hornet Strikes. Seriously, whats going on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornet-Lover View Post
                              Come on, give me a break. Seth Rogen is perfect for Britt Reid. He has something that action stars don't have, a sense of humour. And to all those who still disagree, i dare you to tell me someone else who would play him better.

To those who think the movie is gonna suck, watch the trailer. Its quite simply awesome. If i could see only one movie in the next decade, it would be this. If your sources say its gonna suck, then they suck and should be ignored. You just wait, this movie is gonna kick ass!
                              You may be a little biased though.

I remain open-minded to it. I think of how people thought Michael Keaton would be a terrible Batman and Daniel Craig a lousy 007. Both ended up surprising (although in both cases, the tone was very different).

Comment

• I think it's safe to say, for those who haven't read it yet, that if you liked #1, you'll like #2 just fine too.

Comment

Working...
                                X