No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's possible that no alterations were done to the lettering at all. In some of the old comics "IC" does look like "K," "LI" looks like "U" (which is why using the word "FLICK" was highly discouraged), and Vs and Ys are very similar. It could be the lettering style, thickness of the ink, or just printing anomolies causing it. It's actually not all that uncommon in older comics.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

• Yeah, but "remastered" would seem to indicate that those little flaws wold be done away with...

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        Yeah, but "remastered" would seem to indicate that those little flaws wold be done away with...
        On that I agree with you...
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

• Likewise

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
          Yeah, but "remastered" would seem to indicate that those little flaws wold be done away with...
          I'd hope they'd fix little things like that. By the way what's the problem with "FLICK"
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Well, I already expressed my opinion on another thread on this board about the Golden Age reprints. Unlike the rest of you, I really didn't expect them to alter the originals all that much. Clean up smudges, etc. but leave errors as they were in the originals.

Still, I found this issue loads of fun. Just simple, classic comic book fun. The stories are not deep or meaningful or raise philosophical issues, as seems to be the vogue for modern day comics. They are just popcorn fare: Read, enjoy and forget. I highly recommend it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tulku View Post
              Still, I found this issue loads of fun. Just simple, classic comic book fun.
              And this is what is missing from so many comic books today. I really enjoyed the book. I hope we'll see remastered editions of the Lone Ranger, The Phantom, Mandrake, and Flash Gordon, especially if they reprint some of the old Sunday comics of the characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by General View Post
                And this is what is missing from so many comic books today. I really enjoyed the book. I hope we'll see remastered editions of the Lone Ranger, The Phantom, Mandrake, and Flash Gordon, especially if they reprint some of the old Sunday comics of the characters.
                Amen, brother.
                DECODER RING THEATRE
                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

• It seems kind of strange that the Green Hornet is wearing a yellow jacket. I thought Yellow Jacket was a Marvel superhero.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    It seems kind of strange that the Green Hornet is wearing a yellow jacket. I thought Yellow Jacket was a Marvel superhero.
                    Hey, Yellowjacket is part of the Project Superpowers Universe, too. Of course, they call just call him "Jack." Stupid Marvel and their trademarks...
                    DECODER RING THEATRE
                    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

• I love anything Golden Age, so I was thrilled to pick this book up, even though I don't read the new Green Hornet material.

For me, from a technical standpoint, fantastic! Full restoration and recoloring, and a spectacular job. Masterworks level. From a content aspect... I think that these early Green Hornets are rough. The stories aren't bad in terms of plot, but they're pretty heavy, packing a lot into 8 pages. On top of that, the art, while not bad by 1940 standards, is pretty static. When coupled with the plot heavy stories, you wind up with a bunch of talking heads and figures, and not much Green Hornet in action. I just worry about is someone picking it up and not knowing what is coming down the road. From that standpoint I can see this issue being kind of off-putting, and that might hurt the series' prospects. Especially since the first 6 issues were produced by the Whitman shop, and we're only half-way through the first of them.

Nevertheless, I applaud Dynamite for the reprinting, and hope they keep coming. I can't wait until we get to the good Harvey issues!

Only one thing really bothered me about Dynamite's presentation though, the generic credits (using the blanket "Bert Whitman Associates" rather than the specific story artists). Going over the issue, it looks to me like these are the artists:

Stories 1-2: Hal Sharp
                      Story 3: Bert Whitman
                      Story 4: Irwin Hasen

Being produced by a shop, there could be others involved, but these are the main artists of the story.

-Eric

Comment

• This series isn't clicking for me, I'm loving Strikes, Year One and the KSmith stuff, but this series just seems lost in the shuffle in my view.

Comment

• Hey, I just finished reading #7 and while there are still some leaps of logic and childish dialogue, this thing just might have a pretty cool finish.

Comment

• Green Hornet Annual #1

Did anyone read the Green Hornet Annual #1? I am really confused. Why is Kato male again? Didn't anyone tell this creative team that he was replaced with a female? Why is Kato white with blue eyes? Doesn't the artist even know Kato is Asian?

Comment

• Issue #3

SPOILERS!!!

We get to met an older Kato, find out that the last Green Hornet died horribly and that there may be a son of John Reid out there. It's building slowly but I'm enjoying it.
                              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                                Did anyone read the Green Hornet Annual #1? I am really confused. Why is Kato male again? Didn't anyone tell this creative team that he was replaced with a female? Why is Kato white with blue eyes? Doesn't the artist even know Kato is Asian?
                                That IS Kato (though I agree that he looked more like Leslie Neilsen than an Asian man). The female (Mulan) is his daughter.

Where it gets a little cloudy is that in the Kato series, in which Kato trains Mulan, he still has black hair. Unless he coloured it until recently, he apparently went totally white in the space of just a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X