No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Smith does have a big following and it is no leap of logic that a statistically significant chunk of readers would buy KSGH just because his name is attached. Consider how many thousands of people saw Jersey Girl - some on the name of the actors involved but a good many on Smith's name too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chiclo View Post
      Kevin Smith does have a big following and it is no leap of logic that a statistically significant chunk of readers would buy KSGH just because his name is attached. Consider how many thousands of people saw Jersey Girl - some on the name of the actors involved but a good many on Smith's name too.
      Precisely. Matt Wagner is known to the comic book crowd. So is Kevin Smith, but he's also known by movie buffs. There's a reason why his name is (was) featured prominently on the cover. Dynamite didn't just do that for the hell of it; they know the name alone draws a kind of attention that Wagner's doesn't get. That I don't particularly like Smith's style doesn't mean there aren't many others that do.

It's a huge stretch to suggest that the handling of Smith's book is responsible for comparatively poor sales for the 40's version. Both #1's came out the same month so it's not as though Smiths' version had a significant timing advantage.

If people were still so hung up on the TV show, they'd buy the book closest in tone to it. In March, more than 2/3 of purchases were directed to the modern version of the character, so I don't buy it.

Comment

• Art in Kevin Smith's GREEN HORNET

I've enjoyed Smith's GREEN HORNET series, and the artist does a great job at drawing the individual characters. However, once the action starts and missiles are flying and cars are doing stunts and people are fighting, I can't tell what the hell is going on in a lot of those panels. Am I alone?

Comment

• Publisher

Hey, I'm sorry that you don't like the art when the action happens. It is stylazied, and can understand it may not work for everyone. Jonathan has done a great job and helped us keep the book on time, which is really important.

I really appreciate the support. I hope you like it more as Jonathan grows as an artist.

Comment

• I asked for the Green Hornet Chronicles for Christmas. I am hoping that this will be the the Green Hornet book that I'm looking for.

The Green Hornet is a popular character who hasn't appeared in comic books in almost a couple of decades. The attraction is more about his return.

Personally, I never heard of Kevin Smith before. It's possible that he has a fan base. For me, I will avoid anything with his name on it in the future.

Smith's version did have a significant timing advantage because it was the first book to market to be followed by many other titles. More importantly, it was the subject of Dynamite's advertising hype. As I pointed out already, fans prefer a contemporary version.

Let's put this another way. Suppose Kevin Smith wrote Year One and Matt Wagner wrote the flagship book. Year One would have sold less no matter who the writer was just because it was an antiquated version.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            It's a huge stretch to suggest that the handling of Smith's book is responsible for comparatively poor sales for the 40's version. Both #1's came out the same month so it's not as though Smiths' version had a significant timing advantage.

If people were still so hung up on the TV show, they'd buy the book closest in tone to it. In March, more than 2/3 of purchases were directed to the modern version of the character, so I don't buy it.
            Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 12-05-2010, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Well, I wouldn't say I don't like it. Mostly, I do like it, but some of the time I have trouble following what's actually happening. It could be just me, though; that's why I was asking if others had the same issue in some of those scenes.

Comment

• I liked the art in the book, I felt it worked very well for the style of story they were trying to tell and it kept the book looking modern (which is important for me). If Smith's Green Hornet title had art like the Matt Wagner title does then I don't think it would have worked out so well, but if the Wagner book had Lau's art in it then I probably would have been turned off a bit from it, I find it important to have appropriate art for appropriate titles (if that makes any sense, lol).
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                  I asked for the Green Hornet Chronicles for Christmas. I am hoping that this will be the the Green Hornet book that I'm looking for.

The Green Hornet is a popular character who hasn't appeared in comic books in almost a couple of decades. The attraction is more about his return.

Personally, I never heard of Kevin Smith before. It's possible that he has a fan base. For me, I will avoid anything with his name on it in the future.

Smith's version did have a significant timing advantage because it was the first book to market to be followed by many other titles. More importantly, it was the subject of Dynamite's advertising hype. As I pointed out already, fans prefer a contemporary version.

Let's put this another way. Suppose Kevin Smith wrote Year One and Matt Wagner wrote the flagship book. Year One would have sold less no matter who the writer was just because it was an antiquated version.
                  Kevin Smith wrote a slew of movies in the 90's and 00's, some of the movies he wrote and produced have become cult classics, some of those flicks were Clerks, Clerks II, Chasing Amy, Mallrats, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Dogma, amungst other projects. He's also written such comics as Daredevil and Green Arrow throughout the years, so he's quite known for his writing and his fanbase is a big reason as to why his GH title did so well, both that mixed along with nostalgia and you have a recipe for success.
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Comment

• I struggled with it at first but eventually got used to it. I found it easier to deal with in the last couple of issues compared to the first few. I didn't know what the hell Mulan was doing in #2 but part of that was because her actual actions were so over the top.

He does have a distinctive style though, that's for sure.

Comment

• I don't see any writer as being bigger than the Green Hornet. I have my favorite writers but bought the comic because of my interest in the character and not the writer.

There are many factors that influenced sales of the title. It could well be that a certain number of readers bought the title because of Kevin Smith. It looks like the major reason that the first issue sold so well was just plain dealer over ordering. You have to realize that the comic book shop owners order what they think they can sell.

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                      so he's quite known for his writing and his fanbase is a big reason as to why his GH title did so well, both that mixed along with nostalgia and you have a recipe for success.

Comment

I don't see any writer as being bigger than the Green Hornet. I have my favorite writers but bought the comic because of my interest in the character and not the writer.

There are many factors that influenced sales of the title. It could well be that a certain number of readers bought the title because of Kevin Smith. It looks like the major reason that the first issue sold so well was just plain dealer over ordering. You have to realize that the comic book shop owners order what they think they can sell.
                        I'm not saying that Kevin Smith was the #1 reason that people bought DE's Green Hornet, but him being connected to the title has definately brought in some additional readers that wouldn't have normally picked up the book, also, the book wouldn't have been so heavily supported by Wizard magazine when it first came out had he not been on the project. Want to know just how popular Smith is? www.Twitter.com/thatkevinsmith
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

• You certainly proved what a jerk he is by posting that link.

"Bio It begins with me covered in sperm, trapped in my old man's balls. Then, suddenly... ESCAPE!"

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          I'm not saying that Kevin Smith was the #1 reason that people bought DE's Green Hornet,

Want to know just how popular Smith is? www.Twitter.com/thatkevinsmith

Comment

• Here is a sample of the dialogue from issue #10:

"I just killed the man who killed my father... By taking off my pants."

LOL. It's too bad the script didn't get used for the movie. It would have been so funny watching the critics tearing it to pieces.

Comment

Here is a sample of the dialogue from issue #10:

"I just killed the man who killed my father... By taking off my pants."

LOL. It's too bad the script didn't get used for the movie. It would have been so funny watching the critics tearing it to pieces.
                              And amazingly, that's not the worst line of dialogue during his stint! I think it takes a backseat to "the panties have just dropped".

Bring on Phil Hester!

Comment

You certainly proved what a jerk he is by posting that link.

"Bio It begins with me covered in sperm, trapped in my old man's balls. Then, suddenly... ESCAPE!"
                                It's just his "generation X" style persona, he's just a goof like that and it's just him screwing around, I'm guessing your over 45 years of age if something like that would make you think the man is a "jerk". Or better yet, I think you are just a tad bit butt hurt over the fact that the best selling version of Green Hornet isn't spot on perfect with how you remembered the character in his heyday.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                                X