Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zirron View Post
    Cap,

I hope Hester's run is a good one too... I really want the flagship title to do well.
    My concern is that, because a certain style has been used to this point, he'll try to mimic it. The solicitations seem promising on that level though.

I didn't know until recently that Smith and Hester worked together on Green Arrow books a few years ago, though I believe Hester was penciling, not writing.

Comment

• Originally posted by zirron View Post
      But they are fun books to read. Most of my pull list is made up of Dynamite Books.
      Same here. I buy no Marvel and only a couple of DC books. I dropped the JSA stuff since Superpowers scratched that itch (and JSA began to conveniently suck ) and Hornet meets my solo, "street level" hero requirement.

My wife and I are actually spending Christmas apart this year (nothing bad, she's visiting family across the country and I can't go) so I plan on snatching the first volumes of Buck Rogers and Lone Ranger for evening entertainment. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• Yes. I do. Here is an interesting statistic for you:

Green Lantern

Issue#-Sales
        40-76,659
        41-81,491
        42-84,099
        43-109,353

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        Do you hold Year One and Kato Origins to this standard?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
          Yes. I do.
          Oh, I know a sales increase can happen. I agree that every company should strive for it. Smith's story was scheduled to run for 10 issues from the beginning though. I encourage and expect Dynamite to also seek to turn its sales around or at last stabilize them, though since it continues to be at the top of their own sales, I also suspect that they remain satisfied with it overall.

But you didn't really answer the question. If you do hold Year One to the same standard, why are you not picking it apart in the same way?

#1 - 21,330
          #6 - 10,647

Are readers dissatisfied with the book? That's your conclusion for Smith's version. Does it apply to Wagner's?

Comment

• Year One is a limited series. It wasn't going to be around for long anyway. The writing in the book is higher quality than KSGH. The writing isn't subject to ridicule like KSGH. Year One takes place back in the thirties and might not be to the liking of all for that reason.

But you didn't really answer the question. If you do hold Year One to the same standard, why are you not picking it apart in the same way?

#1 - 21,330
            #6 - 10,647

Are readers dissatisfied with the book? That's your conclusion for Smith's version. Does it apply to Wagner's?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
              Year One is a limited series. It wasn't going to be around for long anyway.
              So why would people bother to buy #1 at all then, if this is the mindset?

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
              The writing in the book is higher quality than KSGH. The writing isn't subject to ridicule like KSGH.
              The style and quality of writing was established in issue #1. Why would sales drop by more than half if the writing is so good?

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
              Year One takes place back in the thirties and might not be to the liking of all for that reason.
              So why would people buy #1 at all then, if it's not to their liking?

Listen, I truly don't care what you like and what you dislike. What I am trying to illustrate to you is your double standard. Smith sales drop, you claim it's due to a crap product. Year One drops proportionately, but you're unwilling to apply the same criticism because you happen to lke it.

You can't have it both ways. I also much prefer the writing of Year One. However, someone younger might think it's dreadfully boring. Or they might wonder why Kato babbles on about tigers and trains in the Origins series. To those people, that writing is unsuitable to their tastes. To them, it might very well be subject to ridicule. This is why Dynamite attempts to provide options.

Comment

• Many people will buy the first issue of a comic book to see if they like it. If they don't, they won't continue buying it. They don't know what is like unless they give it a try.

It's not a double standard. It's a different product with different reasons why people will buy it or not buy it.

The writing in Year One is much higher quality. That's not to say there wasn't anything wrong with it. It did have some issues but they were mostly to do with the time period Wagner was writing about.

So why would people bother to buy #1 at all then, if this is the mindset?

The style and quality of writing was established in issue #1. Why would sales drop by more than half if the writing is so good?

So why would people buy #1 at all then, if it's not to their liking?

Listen, I truly don't care what you like and what you dislike. What I am trying to illustrate to you is your double standard.
                Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Green Hornet by Phil Hester

What did you all think of it?

I liked it a bit more than the first arc... Seems like an interesting story opening up so far.

Thoughts?

Comment

• The early word continues to be surprisingly good about this.

http://www.moviehole.net/201034620-r...parently-great

Comment

• It does sound promising even though they kept calling the car 'Black Betty'.
                      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                        It does sound promising even though they kept calling the car 'Black Betty'.
                        Yeah, the guy is clearly not a purist.

Still, even if the movie is not traditional (and the mention of Rogen avoiding fighting too much doesn't speak well for his take on the character) I would like it to do well enough for a sequel to be considered in which the Hornet becomes more serious, and more what we expect him to be.

Comment

• Britt Jr. seemed far more intelligent in this issue. And at times he actually had dialogue that a real person might speak. Both of which points put this issue far above any of the Smith issues.

Just waiting for the book to be marketed as "Phil Hester's Green Hornet"...

Comment

• I hadn't picked up the series after issue 1. Then I got a chance to pick up the rest at a big discount (still waiting for them). Now my LCS is out of issue 10. There going to get me a copy so I can check it out. Hopefully next week.
                            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                              Britt Jr. seemed far more intelligent in this issue. And at times he actually had dialogue that a real person might speak. Both of which points put this issue far above any of the Smith issues.
                              I wondered whether they should have a sort of "transitional" issue between major stories to slow things down before jacking them up again. They didn't, but still did a nice job of giving you the feeling that Jr had been at it for a little while now, was getting the hang of it and his name was starting to spread.

There was still a bit of silliness, but it wasn't so stupid as to take the edge off the story, as Smith's too often was.

If every issue was like this, I'd be perfectly happy.

Comment

• This damn book...

I read it and feel like it's going nowhere. Then I flip through it again and realize how much has actually happened. Maybe that's because so much of it is conversational.

I might feel differently were it not for the many delays. As it is, Luke has been drowning since what? April?

In a way I can't wait for it to end...but just so it can start up again. I want the same treatment for this character that is being talked about in the Superpowers thread; wrap up the major story, take a break, come back refreshed with the books ready to publish this time. I know tardiness happens, but cripes, this one fell late from issue #2.

Comment

Working...
                                X