No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I skipped ahead to read the Ellison story. Apparently, he had planned to write a story to team up the Phantom with the Green Hornet but decided against it. This was just a fragment from the story and his thoughts about it.

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    I couldn't get in to the Ellison story (GH meets the Phantom) but you might enjoy it.

Comment

• Yes. You could argue that a true fan wants the character to have a lot of exposure. That's not the same thing as killing the character off and introducing a new one.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post

Who gets to decide what a "true" fan should like or do? I could just as easily argue that a true fan wants as much exposure for, or exploration of, the character (s)he loves, particurly when "fan" is short for fanatic.
      Exactly. Dynamite is not writing the definitive Green Hornet and Kato. They are not fulfilling the fan's needs. Moonstone is. I am glad to learn that they will be publishing another book as well.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...et&ikwsec=Home

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...et&ikwsec=Home

The reason I have no problem with variation in this particular instance is that they're (Dynamite) not claiming that they're writing *THE* definitive Hornet and Kato. We're reading about those characters' kids.

Comment

• Alright, it appears to me as if one of our members here is having an issue coping with the fact that his vision of Green Hornet isn't carrying over well into the modern era. I understand that you miss your version of the character, but unfortunately in this day and age there is a constant need to advance and evolve, even if the story is told in a forgone era of time, in essense I think it's time to either get over it or move on and stop reading.

We had an issue like this with a member a few years ago in the PSP section of the forums, I just don't get how some people just refuse to let go and accept change or just walk away and stick to the classics.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• It isn't my vision of the Green Hornet. That is the way he is. I guess you didn't read the Green Hornet Chronicles.

You forget that the Green Hornet Inc. rejected Kevin Smith's script. I just happen to agree with them. Kevin Smith didn't advance the Green Hornet. He tried to destroy him and make the character his own. That was extremely arrogant of him and an insult to the Green Hornet Inc. and an affront to the creators and fans.

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
          Alright, it appears to me as if one of our members here is having an issue coping with the fact
          Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 12-27-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
            It isn't my vision of the Green Hornet. That is the way he is. You forget that the Green Hornet Inc. rejected Kevin Smith's script. I just happen to agree with them. Moonstone is giving fan's what they want.
            Like with all characters, there is room for evolution and change. Sorry, but the version of Green Hornet that you know and love is all but basically a memory now, just because someone rejected Smith's script does not mean that his version of GH is not the standard bearer for modern day GH and it's something that you need to come to terms with. You are the only one here who is holding on to the past instead of embracing the future, just give it up dude and don't buy the comics is it pains you so much, but for the rest of the world, we'll continue reading.
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Comment

• I'm not sure about the script being "rejected" anyway. This is from Wikipedia (I know, I know...):

"The project however died after Smith's longtime producing partner Scott Mosier said he didn't want to produce something with such a big budget, and without Mosier producing, Smith no longer wanted to direct the movie, and thus the plans were dropped. Smith's screenplay is now a Green Hornet comic book miniseries."

"Smith approached Jake Gyllenhall for the lead role in March 2004,[18] and finished the first draft of the script in November 2004. He later rewrote the script after receiving advice from Quentin Tarantino,[19] but Miramax put The Green Hornet on indefinite hold over Smith's concerns about directing an action film."

This is from May of last year:

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-smith...o-be-released/

"Smith dropped out after getting cold feet, fearing he wouldn’t be able to handle an action-heavy big budget comic book film."

I think that the script was rejected is an assumption that's taken a life of its own.

Comment

• A good review here:

http://www.comicbookbin.com/Green_Hornet0011.html

This story has shown in but a few pages that Hester will surprise readers issue after issue. Let’s sit back and enjoy the read.

Comment

• Why don't you get your facts straight? What evolution and change? Now Comics already killed off Britt Reid and had his son take over as the Green Hornet and introduced a female Kato 20 years ago. It's already been done two decades ago. You don't call that holding on to the past?

Kevin Smith's version isn't the standard version by any means. That's not the script they used for the movie.

The Green Hornet that I know is not just a memory. You just have to pick up and read the Green Hornet Chronicles to see that.

Your comments are laughable - "but for the rest of the world, we'll continue reading." You can't seriously believe what you write. Does that include the tens of thousands of readers who dropped KSGH?

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  Like with all characters, there is room for evolution and change. Sorry, but the version of Green Hornet that you know and love is all but basically a memory now, just because someone rejected Smith's script
                  Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 12-28-2010, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    Why don't you get your facts straight? What evolution and change? Now Comics already killed off Britt Reid and had his son take over as the Green Hornet and introduced a female Kato 20 years ago. It's already been done two decades ago. You don't call that holding on to the past?

Kevin Smith's version isn't the standard version by any means. That's not the script they used for the movie.

The Green Hornet that I know is not just a memory. You just have to pick up and read the Green Hornet Chronicles to see that.

Your comments are laughable - "but for the rest of the world, we'll continue reading." You can't seriously believe what you write. Does that include the tens of thousands of readers who dropped KSGH?
                    What's laughable is reading the posts of a person who can't let go of the character that they once knew, seriously, it's borderline pathetic. If you don't like Smith's Green Hornet, then don't read it, plain and simple. Why support something that you aren't enjoying? Unless you already stopped purchasing it, of course.

Still, at least you have Chronicles to hold onto, if it wasn't for that then I don't know what the other 10 people like you would do, jump off cliffs maybe?

Seriously, this has gone on long enough, if you don't like it....don't read it, and since we all know how you feel about it I would suggest not commenting on it anymore because you are starting to sound like a broken record.
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

• I don't know the reasons they didn't use his script for sure. I read somewhere in this forum awhile ago that it was rejected. I can think of a lot of reasons why it would be rejected.

I'm not sure about the script being "rejected" anyway. This is from Wikipedia (I know, I know...):

I think that the script was rejected is an assumption that's taken a life of its own.

Comment

• Mr. Fantastic, I want to apologize to you for what this thread has become. I don't know how old you are, but I assume you are older than I, while others here are my age and younger. The treatment you have received for your concerns over one of your favorite characters is quickly becoming very disrespectful, and I apologize. This is a fan forum and should not be for blind praise of all things Dynamite. If you have concerns and/or criticisms of your favorites you should be allowed to voice them. I, too, do not care for the Smith Hornet. I think Wagner is doing a great job with the "real" (radio era) Hornet. I hate when people tell long time fans of a character to "get over it" and "move on." Interpretations of characters do change over the years. However, a new interpretation does not invalidate someone's love for a previous one. We all have things we love that have been, in our view, twisted and distorted in newer versions. (My biggest is Transformers, loved G1, absolutely hate Michael Bay's films.)
                        DECODER RING THEATRE
                        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

• (Sorry for multiple posts, my phone only lets me type so much) Many younger people are of the mindset that new = better. I always point to the Adam Sandler remake of Mr. Deeds as proof of the opposite, but most people have never/will never see the Frank Capra/Gary Cooper original because it's old. The younger generation don't have the respect for what has come before, and I want to apologize to you. We are not all that way. When the Lone Ranger series started, I'm afraid I might have been the same way with a longtime Ranger fan on these same boards. I tried to respect his opinion, but I regret that I may have come off like these guys are. This rude treatment of loyal fans of a character who was there long before DE, and will be around long after, should not be accepted, nor should the board admin be participating in such behavior. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because one is different than yours does not make it invalid.
                          Last edited by MadMikeyD; 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM.
                          DECODER RING THEATRE
                          EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

• I will add it is doubtful that Green Hornet Inc. rejected Smith's script, however, since they would have had to approve it for use in the comic. Anything with the GH name on it (even the new movie) has to be approved by them or it wouldn't get made. Unless there was a change of heart between then and now, I don't think GHI had anything to do with that movie not being made.
                            DECODER RING THEATRE
                            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

• Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
                              This is a fan forum and should not be for blind praise of all things Dynamite.
                              It isn't. I have critisized the parts I don't like and praised those that I do in all of these books. I think most people have.

But it also isn't a place for constant, repeated bashing, is it? Fantastic does not enjoy the Smith version of Hornet and it is clear that he never will. He is the exact, extreme, opposite of what you describe and I don't see how that is any better.
                              Last edited by Captain Canuck; 12-28-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
                                This is a fan forum and should not be for blind praise of all things Dynamite. If you have concerns and/or criticisms of your favorites you should be allowed to voice them.
                                Agreed, but Fantastic's tone is over the top. an seems to be saying that he is right and everybody else is crazy for not agreeing with him. People have tried to politly make points be he blows them off (or is that up) simply saying I'm right. He long ago made his point be he keeps pushing and putting down anyone who disagrees with him.
                                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X