The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than just the comics

I should have mentioned, if you follow one of the links then do a search for Green Hornet you jut a lot more than just the comics. You get both movie serials some radio shows and more
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Expanding to 40 territories in its second weekend of foreign release, "The Green Hornet" nabbed first place and crossed the $100 million mark in worldwide revenue, proving that Seth Rogen has as much global appeal as an action hero as he did as a slacker.
      Okay, well, let's not get crazy now. His action hero is not much different than his slacker and Chou deserves a giant chunk of the credit. But I hope this is cause to continue with the franchise and that they steer it towards a more even mix of action/drama/comedy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        Okay, well, let's not get crazy now. His action hero is not much different than his slacker and Chou deserves a giant chunk of the credit. But I hope this is cause to continue with the franchise and that they steer it towards a more even mix of action/drama/comedy.
        Seconded. Less comedy and more dram would be nice. I rather liked the interaction between Britt & Casey on the radio & TV. You knew she was in love with him, but he rarely showed anything toward her. It created a nice tention.
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• Domestic.

The Seth Rogen action comedy dropped 37 percent to $13.8 million to bring its three-week total to $81.1 million. If it can keep up its pace, it should pass $100 million, though it's losing most of its IMAX theaters to Sanctum this weekend.
          International.

Foreign audiences looking for their action-movie fix made The Green Hornet a solid hit and Seth Rogen an international star with 14.1 million dollars for the weekend in 52 territories and a global total approaching 140 million dollars.

Comment

• Golden Age Remastered #6

The cover shown for Green Hornet Remastered issue #6 is acctually the cover for #7. Does anyone have a scan of the correct cover?

Thanks

Comment

• Green Hornet / Captain Action

For those of you who might collect anything and everything Green Hornet, Moonstone has a Captain Action winter special that guest stars the Hornet and Kato. 48 pages.

I have no idea if it's out already or what, I just saw it advertised in the back of another book.

Comment

• It's apparent that Dynamite's license with The Green Hornet, Inc. must be non-exclusive. Still more apparent is the fact that Moonstone's GH (at least the one in the team-up with Captain Action) is the Van Williams Hornet from the 60s TV series. Oddly enough, the one incarnation of the character that Dynamite hasn't touched yet (aside from the NOW Comics version, and I can see why they wouldn't want to go there, if they even could legally). Given Bruce Lee's cult following, it even seems a little weird, that Dynamite hasn't exploited this.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I own these, though they're not in mint condition. I'd still buy the reprints, though. How about a nice trade collection or hardcover?

IIRC, the artwork was by Dan Spiegle.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Moonstone seems to have a prose license and a limited exception. Don't forget that Green Hornet & Captain Action were connected back in the 60's and a agin for the Praying Mantis re-release of the Captian Action figure.

Comment

• Jay Chou is also quite popular with 1,104,130 followers on Facebook at this writing. He gave a great account of himself in the movie as Kato.

The Green Hornet Inc. owns the copyright to all things Green Hornet. Dynamite can legally do anything they want with the comic such as reprints as long the Green Hornet Inc. approves it.

It would be nice if Dynamite was more like Gold Key in their treatment of these television properties. Dynamite hasn't even put out one Green Hornet comic with a photograph from the movie on the cover.

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                      Oddly enough, the one incarnation of the character that Dynamite hasn't touched yet (aside from the NOW Comics version, and I can see why they wouldn't want to go there, if they even could legally). Given Bruce Lee's cult following, it even seems a little weird, that Dynamite hasn't exploited this.
                      Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• I can see a problem with Dynamite's handling of the Green Hornet franchise. On the one hand, there are a large number of titles, which can be a turnoff to potential readers, especially since I can easily see people being confused by how these titles relate to each other - the answer, as those of us who have read them all know, is that other than Kato:Origins being a companion title to Green Hornet: Year One and Kato being a companion title to Green Hornet, otherwise the titles are completely unrelated, taking place in seperate universes. This is in contrast to NOW Comics' handling of the franchise, where even though they published titles relating the adventures of the Golden Age, Silver Age, modern, and future (Green Hornet: Dark Tomorrow) Hornets, they were all set in the same continuity.

So, on the one hand, Dynamite is offering a version of the Green Hornet for almost every taste (a positive thing), but at the same time, on casual inspection, this confusion of "seperate continuities" could be turning people off to the franchise at the same time.

And I know Jay Chou has his fans; I never said he didn't. But given the decades-long and worldwide cult following of Bruce Lee, I can't understand why Dynamite wouldn't exploit this. While Dynamite doesn't license the right to use Bruce Lee's name or likeness from his estate, neither did NOW, but at the same time they used the storylines to meld the real-life Bruce Lee's life with the Silver Age Kato's character, by establishing that after the 1960s, Kato had a career as a martial-arts movie star (smart move on their part). In short, they did everything to imply that the Silver Age Kato was in fact Bruce Lee, without ever using his actual name or likeness.

Come to think of it, maybe Dynamite SHOULD license Bruce Lee's name and likeness. They could then publish both an officially licensed Bruce Lee comic book (as Malibu Comics did in the 1990s), and (since they already hold a license from Green Hornet Inc.), the Silver Age Van Williams-Bruce Lee version of Green Hornet and Kato, even to having a seperate Bruce Lee Kato title.
                        Last edited by positronic; 02-14-2011, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• Things should start to get a little less confusing. Five titles are or are about to finish up; Kato Origns, Remastered, Strikes, Parallel Lives & Blood Ties. They are adding Aftermath as a follow up to the movie (suprised we didn't get a comic of the movie). That means we have a chance at a photo cover or two.

As far as the Now Comics books, I've said it before and will continue to say it, they did an incredible job. They gave us thier version as well as the two people know. They tied tehm all together nicely and even tied in the Lone Ranger. They even were smart enough to publish my letter in issue 10 of the second series

Comment

• I know Parallel Lives (prequel to the movie) and Aftermath (sequel to the movie), as well as Blood Ties (which seems to be set in the same continuity as Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, but is a flashback) were all designed as miniseries from the get-go.

What surprises me is where are you getting the information about Kato: Origins, Golden Age Remastered, and Strikes! ending, and if so, what are the final issues of those titles?

It doesn't particularly surprise me to read that Golden Age Remastered is ending (I expected it from the first issue) - a) because there is a very limited audience for Golden Age reprints, especially when the reprints are of material that wasn't very strong to begin with, and b) the covers for these books are downright awful, the worst I've seen of any Dynamite book ever published (you'd have thought they'd have tried to compensate for the weakness of the interior art, or if they didn't want to spend the money, just reprint the Golden Age covers, but no. The Golden Age cover art was better-drawn than what they used.)

I will be truly sorry to see Kato: Origins go, as it was my second-favorite title (right after Year One), but as far as I can determine, it seemed like the worst-selling of the original group of GH titles, so I guess I can't say I'm too surprised. It will be missed.

As for Strikes! ending, are you sure? I saw a new issue solicited in the last issue of Diamond Previews, and the solicitation copy didn't seem to indicate that the story was nearing conclusion. As of the most recent issue that I've read (#6), the story seems to have barely gotten started. I like Brett Michaels' writing, but his story pacing can most kindly be described as "leisurely". Sometimes (as with Lone Ranger), frustratingly so.
                            Last edited by positronic; 02-15-2011, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Remastered is ending at 8 and I'm pretty sure Strikes ends at 10. I forget were I read it, and I may be wrong, but Kato: Origins is ending and the writer is taking over Year One when Wagner leaves after issue 12. The link is probably in the Year One Thread.

Comment

• Golden Age Remastered ends with #8, not because of a limited audience, but simply because they will have reprinted all of the GA Hornet material. There are a few Gold Key issues from the Silver Age still, but the GA stuff is done.
                                DECODER RING THEATRE
                                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                                PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                                PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Working...
                                X