No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...There's a wrester in TNA using a Kato gimmick now. He's a sidekick of sorts to Samoa Joe.

Don't know what to make of that...I guess it's an indication that you're back in the mainstream...

Comment

• Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
      Golden Age Remastered ends with #8, not because of a limited audience, but simply because they will have reprinted all of the GA Hornet material. There are a few Gold Key issues from the Silver Age still, but the GA stuff is done.
      Acctually there is more GA stuff from Harvey. Holyoke did issues 1-6 and Harvey did 7-47. Harvey is still around (I think) so depending on how the license with Harvey was worded, Dynamite might not be able to reprint it.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• "Harvey Entertainment" still exists - sort of.

http://www.harvey.com/

But not as a comic book company. They are owned by Classic Media.

http://www.classicmedia.tv

They are basically a company that licenses their properties (Casper, Richie Rich, Hot Stuff, Baby Huey, etc.) to others for video releases, movie and television productions, and publishing. I guess they are what you'd call an "intellectual property rights holder" (not unlike Green Hornet Inc.). Most recently, they licensed publishing rights to Dark Horse Comics to reprint collections of their older comic book stories.

But since they don't own the Green Hornet, they have nothing to do with reprints of those old comics. Just as Marvel has no say in (or profit participation in) reprints of their old G.I. Joe and Transformers comics. Hasbro owns those characters and can license them as they see fit.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
          But since they don't own the Green Hornet, they have nothing to do with reprints of those old comics. Just as Marvel has no say in (or profit participation in) reprints of their old G.I. Joe and Transformers comics. Hasbro owns those characters and can license them as they see fit.
          Harvey probably has nothing to do with reprints of the Green Hornet Comics they produced, but it would depend on the contract/license, to produce the original books. I can't see George W. Trendle, the owner of the Green Hornet at the time, not keeping control, but if Harvey retained the rights to the artwork the comics can't be reprinted with out their permission. Again, this probably isn't the case, but it is possible depending on the wording of the original agreement.
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
            "Harvey Entertainment" still exists - sort of.

http://www.harvey.com/

But not as a comic book company. They are owned by Classic Media.

http://www.classicmedia.tv

They are basically a company that licenses their properties (Casper, Richie Rich, Hot Stuff, Baby Huey, etc.) to others for video releases, movie and television productions, and publishing. I guess they are what you'd call an "intellectual property rights holder" (not unlike Green Hornet Inc.). Most recently, they licensed publishing rights to Dark Horse Comics to reprint collections of their older comic book stories.

I know you can add to the list of properties held by Classic Media Doctor Solar, Turok, Magnus and Doctor Spektor. I think they have the Defiant library too.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
              Jonathan has done a great job
              I'll second that. I think Jonathan's art is fantastic!

Comment

• Sorry, but imho the movie was not as good as Kevin Smith's comic story. I wish they had gone with his version in the movie. Here's why...

1) Rogen's Green Hornet character was too goofy! I had a hard time taking him seriously.
                2) Kato was too good at EVERYTHING. Is there anything he can't do?
                3) Having Britt find out his father was the Green Hornet in the Hornet's Nest would have been cool on the big screen!
                4) A "black hornet" villian would have been awesome.
                5) Having Mulan would have made more sense than Cameron Diaz' character.

Comment

• I've heard mixed reviews. Good reviews coming from people who don't read comics, not seen the original show... anyone seen it and how did they like it?

Comment

• I liked it. Everyone I know who has seen it said they liked it. It was kind of campy like the Batman TV series but with some serious violence. It's a comedy/adventure unlike the television series which was done quite seriously.

It seemed kind of odd having Seth Rogen play the Green Hornet/Britt Reid but he sure was funny.

Jay Chou made an excellent Kato. I like how they improved on his character by making him the Black Beauty's mechanic/inventor. Jay Chou also has a legion of fans like Bruce Lee so it was a smart move to give him the part.

It was a good, well written story. I would not hesitate to recommend that you go ahead and see it.

Originally posted by MrBeefy View Post
                    I've heard mixed reviews. Good reviews coming from people who don't read comics, not seen the original show... anyone seen it and how did they like it?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBeefy View Post
                      I've heard mixed reviews. Good reviews coming from people who don't read comics, not seen the original show... anyone seen it and how did they like it?
                      It got a little to campy in some spots, but for the most part I liked it. Rogen was okay and Chou was great.

The only thing I didn't like was that DA Scanlon was the villian. On the TV show he was one of the good guys and they really should have kept it that way.

Comment

• I went to see it again, and liked it even less the second time. Chou was great, but Rogen destroyed the character. As I was watching it the second time, I kept thinking that Rogan's G.H. character reminded me of someone. I finally remembered who - the reporter "Knox" from the Michael Keaton "Batman" movie! Not only does he look like him, but the characters acted the same - goofy. It was almost like "Knox" found out Bruce Wayne was Batman and said to him - "you drive me around in the Batmobile and beat up the bad guys, while I wear this Halloween mask and pretend I'm a superhero called 'The Green Hornet'"! Ugh!

This was not my "Green Hornet"

Thank you DYNAMITE for putting out good Green Hornet stories!!!

Comment

• I thought this was a one-shot, but it's actually an ongoing. Or maybe a limited.
                          For some reason this is rarely never clear with Dynamite books.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gree...ew-110223.html

Nrama: Any other particular hints or teases you'd like to leave the readers with?

Nitz: The first issue is $1.99, give us a shot and you’ll stay for the whole thing.

Comment

• Thank you to Mr Nitz for "tweeting" that this series is also scheduled for five issues (maybe more).

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                              Sorry, but imho the movie was not as good as Kevin Smith's comic story. I wish they had gone with his version in the movie. Here's why...

1) Rogen's Green Hornet character was too goofy! I had a hard time taking him seriously.
                              2) Kato was too good at EVERYTHING. Is there anything he can't do?
                              3) Having Britt find out his father was the Green Hornet in the Hornet's Nest would have been cool on the big screen!
                              4) A "black hornet" villian would have been awesome.
                              5) Having Mulan would have made more sense than Cameron Diaz' character.
                              To be honest, I don't think I would have found Smith's Hornet any less goofy.

I did find Rogen at least to be a likeable goof and while it's hard to know how I would have felt about the Smith character without knowing who would have acted him out, it took me an awful long time to warm up to him. Especially after his idiotic reaction at being told that his dad was the Hornet.

While it would have been visually cool, the Beauty turning into a plane was outright stupid. Just a little something clutch was working on behind the scenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                                I went to see it again, and liked it even less the second time. Chou was great, but Rogen destroyed the character. As I was watching it the second time, I kept thinking that Rogan's G.H. character reminded me of someone. I finally remembered who - the reporter "Knox" from the Michael Keaton "Batman" movie! Not only does he look like him, but the characters acted the same - goofy. It was almost like "Knox" found out Bruce Wayne was Batman and said to him - "you drive me around in the Batmobile and beat up the bad guys, while I wear this Halloween mask and pretend I'm a superhero called 'The Green Hornet'"! Ugh!

This was not my "Green Hornet"
                                That's actually a pretty good comparison.

But Rogen destroyed nothing. People give this thing too much power. He brought all kinds of mainstream exposure to a character who'd had next to none in 25 years.

The movie also doesn't prevent other adaptations. The craptacular Batman movies of the 90's didn't prevent a much better version from coming out later. The Spider-Man movies aren't even 10 years old and they're already being rebooted. So is Superman. If someone sees making a more serious-in-tone Hornet as a good opportunity, they'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                                X