No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Rogen deserves a lot more credit than people give him. He was a co-writer of the movie script. On that, he did a great job.

Van Williams was the greatest Green Hornet/Britt Reid ever. However, he would not have suited a comedy/adventure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
      Seth Rogen deserves a lot more credit than people give him. He was a co-writer of the movie script. On that, he did a great job.

Van Williams was the greatest Green Hornet/Britt Reid ever. However, he would not have suited a comedy/adventure.
      Another aspect that I appreciated that I doubt would have been included in the Smith version are the little nudges to the past incarnations of the character, whether it be the original "look" his first time out, the logo at the end, the Bruce Lee drawing...

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        To be honest, I don't think I would have found Smith's Hornet any less goofy.
        In Smith's version the goofy Britt Reid Jr. eventually took the role of being Green Hornet seriously. He took martial arts training etc. Rogen's GH never did. Right up to the end being GH was nothing more than a fun night out for Rogen's Britt Reid. He was nothing more than a guy wearing a GH halloween mask out on the town having fun. That's no "hero".

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
          Seth Rogen deserves a lot more credit than people give him. He was a co-writer of the movie script.
          The script was terrible. This film was full of things that made no sense. For example, can anyone tell me why Britt had to go all the way back to the Sentinel to download the recording to the internet? The Black Beauty doesn't have internet access? Ugh!

Comment

That's actually a pretty good comparison.

But Rogen destroyed nothing. People give this thing too much power. He brought all kinds of mainstream exposure to a character who'd had next to none in 25 years.
            If this "exposure" leads people to think of the "Green Hornet" character as what Rogen portrayed, I'd rather not have the exposure at all. The Green Hornet is not some goof-ball running around in a halloween mask. I have too much respect for the history of the character to allow people to think that Rogen's character is the "Green Hornet".

The movie also doesn't prevent other adaptations. The craptacular Batman movies of the 90's didn't prevent a much better version from coming out later. The Spider-Man movies aren't even 10 years old and they're already being rebooted. So is Superman. If someone sees making a more serious-in-tone Hornet as a good opportunity, they'll take it.
            Well, let's hope there's not a sequel to this mess. I hope someone "reboots" now!

Comment

• The exposure also led to marathons of the old TV show and the character's history being talked about when describing and/or reviewing the film. How much of that did you see between 1988 and 2008?

But regardless, my point is that the movie killed nothing and if more people see the TV show and other versions as a result of being introduced to the character through the movie, then it actually breathed new life into it.
              Last edited by Captain Canuck; 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

The exposure also led to marathons of the old TV show and the character's history being talked about when describing and/or reviewing the film. How much of that did you see between 1988 and 2008?
                Batman (1989) led to "Batman:The Animated Series" on tv, as well as all the Marvel movies.

But regardless, my point is that the movie killed nothing and if more people see the TV show and other versions as a result of being introduced to the character through the movie, then it actually breathed new life into it.
                I disagree here's why... I went to see this movie (the first time) with a friend who had no prior knowledge of the Green Hornet. He didn't like the film (too "campy" he said). I told him to come over my house some time and I'll show him the "real" Green Hornet via the old tv episodes on dvd. He declined saying he has no interest in seeing any more Green Hornet.
                How can we expect people to be interested in other versions of a character whos first impression is a bad one? The movie sure did "kill" the Green Hornet for my friend.
                If you're gonna do a movie about a comic book character, at least stay faithful to that character!

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                  Batman (1989) led to "Batman:The Animated Series" on tv, as well as all the Marvel movies.
                  I'm not sure I follow. I was referring to the Hornet specifically. Since the end of the Now comic series, how much Green Hornet did you see around until recently? I referred to marathons of the TV show on two networks. When was the last time THAT happened?

That's why I've gotten tired of people going on about this character's "death" (and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to take that out on you). It's not like he was living large beforehand anyway. He'd had no significant new material since the mid 80's.

And again, this version doesn't prevent someone from doing something more traditional (yet no one seems interested in doing so). You know how Superman had a son in the last movie? It won't force the next writer to have his son in the next movie. The next Spider-Man will have web-shooters, unlike the Tobey McGuire version. So that this Green Hornet was a loud, drunk, spoiled rich kid won't force anyone to make every future story about the Hornet be about that type of character.

So don't worry about it so much. The material you liked is unchanged and Dynamite is putting out some pretty good stuff regardless of the movie. In fact, there might be that much out there BECAUSE there was a movie coming. The Green Hornet will live on just fine, in better shape than he was even just three years ago.
                  Last edited by Captain Canuck; 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

If you're gonna do a movie about a comic book character, at least stay faithful to that character!
                    Movies are rarely faithful to what inspired them. In 'Robert Heinlien's Starship Troopers' The only things they included were the bug aliens, the name of the main character and the city getting destroyed. The movie Burglar was "based" on the book 'Burglar In The Closet". In the book the main character was a white Jewish male and in the movie it was Whoopie Goldberg .

Also don't judge by the reactions of one person. Remember the Batman TV show with Adam West? It revieved Batman but was nothing like the comic.
                    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      Movies are rarely faithful to what inspired them.
                      We were wondering before why they had to make the Green Hornet into such a jackass in two scripts. I think there's a challenge there to avoid coming off a Batman rip-off so they give the character a totally different personality. We know the difference but the general public doesn't.

Comment

• I agree. The movie did breath new life into the Green Hornet. I have been talking to people about the Green Hornet who never knew much about him before. Reaction to the movie has been very positive.

People just seem to be a little uneasy with Seth Rogen playing the part. But I liked some of Seth Rogen's ideas such as the origin of the Green Hornet. The television series never went into who invented the Black Beauty's gadgets or did the maintenance on the car. They made Kato even more interesting that way.

I am glad the movie producers went with a professionally written script that didn't kill off the character. The movie had a lot of good points. The scene where the Green Hornet and Kato were nearly got buried in the Black Beauty was especially suspenseful and memorable.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post

Comment

• Did you ever get the the Parallel Lives series, Mr F? As I was reading them, I thought they were okay but I appreciate them a little bit more now.

I'm a little unsure about the Aftermath book because Dynamite will now have two present-day versions of the character with similar personalities.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow. I was referring to the Hornet specifically. Since the end of the Now comic series, how much Green Hornet did you see around until recently? I referred to marathons of the TV show on two networks. When was the last time THAT happened?
                            Oh, I misunderstood your point. Yes, I agree the marathons were due to the movie.

That's why I've gotten tired of people going on about this character's "death" (and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to take that out on you). It's not like he was living large beforehand anyway. He'd had no significant new material since the mid 80's.
                            I think those of us who speak of his "death" are saying this "Greeen Hornet" is not THE Green Hornet we know and love. What would the Spider-man fans say if Peter parker was portrayed as a loud, drunk, spoiled rich kid?

And again, this version doesn't prevent someone from doing something more traditional (yet no one seems interested in doing so). You know how Superman had a son in the last movie? It won't force the next writer to have his son in the next movie. The next Spider-Man will have web-shooters, unlike the Tobey McGuire version. So that this Green Hornet was a loud, drunk, spoiled rich kid won't force anyone to make every future story about the Hornet be about that type of character.
                            Well, I think if there's another GH movie, it will be a sequel to this mess with Rogen back
                            When I think of what "could have been" it's very disheartening. How about a "Green Hornet: Year One" movie along the lines of Matt Wagners series? That could be kick-ass!

So don't worry about it so much. The material you liked is unchanged and Dynamite is putting out some pretty good stuff regardless of the movie. In fact, there might be that much out there BECAUSE there was a movie coming. The Green Hornet will live on just fine, in better shape than he was even just three years ago.
                            Yes, let's give props to Dynamite! They have done FAR more in reviving this character for us fans than this movie did.

Comment

I think those of us who speak of his "death" are saying this "Greeen Hornet" is not THE Green Hornet we know and love. What would the Spider-man fans say if Peter parker was portrayed as a loud, drunk, spoiled rich kid?
                              Fair enough. I thought you meant that going forward we'd never a serious Hornet again, as though Rogen stopped that from happening forever.

Where I'm optimistic is that this was just the first mission for this Hornet. If they do sequel it, I would expect the Hornet to get a little more sense. To use the Spider-Man example, he let a thief get away because he was immature and regretted the results of that action. Rogen was wrong about his dad and I would expect that to have an effect on him.

That said, I really wish he hadn't said something like "It turn out my dad wasn't a dick after all. Well, he WAS a dick, but not like I thought". Should have quit while you were ahead, champ.
                              Last edited by Captain Canuck; 02-26-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Now then...I have a couple of questions for you guys. sorry if this path has been beaten down before, but with the movie and its various reactions out of the way, it may be time a for a revisit anyway:

Assume that someone comes to you for advice on making the next Hornet project. it's not just for you now; they want the general public to embrace it as well.

In what format do you want it? TV? Movies?

Who do you cast for it?

What year does it take place in?

Do you have a specific villain in mind or do you create a new one?

I'm taking off in a few minutes to buy about six weeks' worth of Dynamite comics I've missed. It's going to be a very Green weekend (with some Phantom, Blood and Terror thrown in).

Comment

Working...
                                X