No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Green Hornet Podcast. Anyone Interested?

I currently do a monthly podcast reviewing DC comics "The Flash". That podcast can be heard at http://flashbackpodcast.podbean.com

I'm thinking about doing a "Green Hornet" podcast. The Green Hornet is one of my favorite comic book characters, and I would love to discuss him on a monthly podcast show. I think it would also be good publicity for the character and the comic books. Is anyone interested in doing a podcast with me as a co-host? I'm thinking one or two other's besides myself would be good. The podcast would be a monthly review of whatever Green Hornet comics Dynamite puts out that month (so you would need to be buying all the GH comics). We would also do some episodes on the other venues GH has been in. You would need "Skype" on your computer, since that is the method I use for recording. If you are interested, take a listen to my "Flash" podcasts to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Comment

• I'll take a shot at it.

TV Mini Series: I’d use the extra length to make it a bit of a mystery (see below) through in a bit of forensics and a touch of NCIS camaraderie/team work. The Green Hornet would be the front man/leader for a small team (Kato, Casey & the DA).

Cast: Either Chris O’Donnell (he has the right presence/energy) or an unknown actor who could ‘become the Hornet’. I’d leave Chou & Diaz in their movie roles (doubtful I know) and add the new DA to the team.

Time: Modern times. Maybe as much as five years into his being the Green Hornet.

Villain: A new villain, a mysterious figure.

Plot: The mysterious villain unites the underworld to stop the Green Hornet. There would be flashbacks showing Green Hornet's origin and the battle against the underworld and growth of Green Hornet and the team around him.

Misc.: I’d add to the newspaper cast. Mike Axford would go back to being the police reporter and I’d add in more of the radio cast. Ed Lowrey, Clicker Binney and Gunigan would make brief appearances for possible growth in later movies etc. I'd probably go with Smith's idea that Brit didn't like his father, but determined to live up to his father's ideals after learning that his father was the Green Hornet. Maybe even making the 'current' Green Hornet the third of the line ala Now comics.
      Last edited by Ghornet2; 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Yes. I did. They were kind of interesting. I just didn't like the artwork. I hope the artwork in Aftermath will be much better.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        Did you ever get the the Parallel Lives series, Mr F? As I was reading them, I thought they were okay but I appreciate them a little bit more now.

I'm a little unsure about the Aftermath book because Dynamite will now have two present-day versions of the character with similar personalities.

Comment

• Is anyone else still getting this?

I made a crack a while back how Mulan had to train for a whole month to be as good as she is, based on an earlier issue in the series. In GH13 she specfies that she trained her whole life. That makes more sense. Issue one made it seem as though she "trained" but didn't really take it seriously.

This book has some nasty characters in it that I wonder if we'll see bleed into the Green Hornet series after the current story ends.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            I'll take a shot at it.

TV Mini Series: Id use the extra length to make it a bit of a mystery (see below) through in a bit of forensics and a touch of NCIS camaraderie/team work. The Green Hornet would be the front man/leader for a small team (Kato, Casey & the DA).
            I like the mini-series idea to give it a comic book feel. Run if for eight episodes in the fall, then another eight in the spring that starts a whle new story. Something like that, so people who haven't watched it from the beginning have hop-on points.

I'd also run it in present day, at the start of the current Hornet's "career" with occasional flashbacks to a previous Hornet. I wonder if skipping a generation might not work? Grandpa was a Hornet, dad either didn't know or would have nothing to do with it. Now Gramps wants to help his grandson, dad is opposed to the whole thing. Might make for some good dynamics.

Comment

• I picked up the tpb and liked it. I will be getting the other issues from my LCS to catch up. What issue is currently out?

I'm still trying to figure out the timeline of events going from Mulan #1 to Green Hornet #1. In Mulan Hirohito Jumma goes after Kato and his family seemingly aware that Kato is the guy who put his father in prison along with the GH all those years ago. He is seemingly unaware that his father is still alive back in the USA. We learn later in GH that he learns the identity of GH through a deal his father makes with Mayor Scanlon. So, my question is - how did Hirohito know about Kato if he didn't learn the identity of GH until later when he goes to USA?

I didn't like the fact that Mulan, Kato & Hirohito looked VERY different in the Mulan book compared to the Green Hornet book. They could easily have passed for different characters. On the plus side, Mulan was cute & Kato's wife was hot!

Comment

• At this point I'd go with Kevin Smith's comic run as a tv mini-series.

Yesterday I re-read Smith's GH run and I still think it was AMAZING! I don't understand why people don't like it. It was nothing like the movie. Sure it had some "one liners" from Britt Reid Jr. (like the movie), but Britt Jr. is a deep character in the comic. The relationship scenes between Britt Sr. and Britt Jr. really show how Britt Jr. is hurting due to the death of his mom and seeming rejection from his workaholic dad. It's a clear explanation as to why Britt Jr. asks like he does. But he doesn't stay like that. The transformation after his dad's death is amazing. He's a man on a mission. Other thoughts...

The opening flashback scene is great giving a short concise recap of the GH past as to who Britt Sr. is and why he does what he does.

The "Black Hornet" villian is a great and memorable arch-nemesis for the new GH.

Having Kato & Britt Sr. in it is a great bridge from past to present.

Having a "hot" female modern day Kato is a great idea.

This script lends itself well to a future "Year One" movie or tv series.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                  At this point I'd go with Kevin Smith's comic run as a tv mini-series.

Yesterday I re-read Smith's GH run and I still think it was AMAZING! I don't understand why people don't like it. It was nothing like the movie. Sure it had some "one liners" from Britt Reid Jr. (like the movie), but Britt Jr. is a deep character in the comic. The relationship scenes between Britt Sr. and Britt Jr. really show how Britt Jr. is hurting due to the death of his mom and seeming rejection from his workaholic dad. It's a clear explanation as to why Britt Jr. asks like he does. But he doesn't stay like that. The transformation after his dad's death is amazing. He's a man on a mission. Other thoughts...

The opening flashback scene is great giving a short concise recap of the GH past as to who Britt Sr. is and why he does what he does.

The "Black Hornet" villian is a great and memorable arch-nemesis for the new GH.

Having Kato & Britt Sr. in it is a great bridge from past to present.

Having a "hot" female modern day Kato is a great idea.

This script lends itself well to a future "Year One" movie or tv series.

I wouldn't say I didn't like it but I certainly didn't like all of it.

The biggest disagreement I have is with Jr's depth. I think he has very little and I wasn't as impressed with his transformation as you were. He improved but I thought he was a dink right to his final line.

Black Hornet? Great villain and I was surprised they killed him off. Mulan as Kato? I like her a lot, personally (and if we're talking casting, I've got Maggie Q all over that ). I find Clutch Kato annoying and unnecessary.

The mayor's betrayal was predictable as hell and I found the giant typewriter completely ludicrous though at least it led to what I thought was the best personal moment between Jr and Mulan.

At the end of it all, I think it set a nice stage for what Phil Hester is doing now but I think overall I would not have preferred it as movie. Again, that's always said with a disclaimer that perhaps a good actor might have made Jr more likeable than I found him in print.

Comment

• Lol...

The timeline IS screwy. Best not to try to warp your head around it.

Issue 8 is the current one and still takes place before Mulan meets Jr. She's just getting acclimated to life in the States.

The last couple of issues have actually featured new characters more than they have Mulan. Not necessarily a bad thing, but she actually feels like the supporting character in her own series at times.

Comment

• While I'm not a good candidate because I often get the books late, I think this is a great idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                        The biggest disagreement I have is with Jr's depth. I think he has very little and I wasn't as impressed with his transformation as you were. He improved but I thought he was a dink right to his final line.
                        Of course we are all entitled to our opinions, and I don't want to criticize yours, but can you explain how he was a "dick right to his final line"? Here's a guy who previously had no direction in life. His mother dies, his father dies. He clearly makes a obvious decision to change the direction of his life while on the plane to China. He seeks out martial arts training from a former coach (Annual #1) as well as trains with Kato & Mulan. There's no indication that he is not seroius about his Green Hornet role. This was unlike Rogen's GH who always saw the role as something just for "fun".

Black Hornet? Great villain and I was surprised they killed him off.
                        Agreed. But I'm not convinced they killed him off. We saw him fall, but don't know if he hit the ground.

Mulan as Kato? I like her a lot, personally (and if we're talking casting, I've got Maggie Q all over that ).
                        Agreed. Also, I'm not convinced she "likes chicks". I think she said that to Britt to help him keep his mind on his work.

I find Clutch Kato annoying and unnecessary.
                        Not me. I like the character. I think it's better than having a Kato who is a master at everything including technology & mechanics.

The mayor's betrayal was predictable as hell
                        True, but it didn't take away from the story. I was always wondering what his connection with Hirohito was.

and I found the giant typewriter completely ludicrous
                        Well, let me tell you, my LCS also sells cds and dvds and has a GIANT CASSETTE on the roof of the building. It's obviously been there for a long time and is just for nastalgia sake. So, the typewriter wasn't a problem for me knowing the Daily Sentinel has been around for a long time.

At the end of it all, I think it set a nice stage for what Phil Hester is doing now
                        I agree with that. Hester is doing a great job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                          While I'm not a good candidate because I often get the books late, I think this is a great idea.
                          I get my books late too. I get them through DCBS with shipping at the end of each month. So, I would be looking to do a monthly podcast sometime during the first week of each month. The podcast would be a review of the books that came out the previous month.

If this works for you and you are interested let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                            Of course we are all entitled to our opinions, and I don't want to criticize yours, but can you explain how he was a "dick right to his final line"?
                            Sure. His final line was asking Mulan about being into chicks while jumping into a fight. I found that juvenile especially in light of the situation.

I don't even include getting rid of the bad guy by dropping his pants in all that because that was out of necessity. But when I read that line I just thought "grow the hell up" (which might apply to Kevin Smith as well).

About Black Hornet: Even *if* (good point) Hiro is dead, I wonder if we're not going to get a female version of that character too? I was reading the solits for Kato and she's going to start causing trouble for Mulan once that series joins us in the present (Issue 10, I think).

I didn't mind a giant typewriter on a building that houses a newspaper. I minded a WORKING one.

Comment

• Finished this last night.

Something struck me about Desjardins' art. I say this not having seen his work before thise series.

The Hornet looked like a grunting, snarling maniac much of the time, but I wonder if that wasn't done to be "in period"? The book takes place in the late 80's / early 90's right around the Youngblood Image era. This Hornet, as he's drawn, would not have looked too out of place in those books (Except he'd have been called "Stingdeath" )

Anyway...not a bad read after a confusing first issue. I like Fanelli and he got so much attention that I wonder if he won't resurface in some way down the road.

Comment

• I've really enjoyed the art in this series, it kind of reminded me of a dark Batman title or something but I felt it fit the character kind of cool and gave The Green Hornet a new dimention if that makes any sense at all. Really sweet mini series, I'm bummed that it's not ongoing.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Working...
                                X