Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Hornet #15 preview and discussion

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...362&disp=table

Read, live, enjoy! Here is a preview from CBR on the upcoming Green Hornet #15, check it out GH fans!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
      ps - and part of our slimming down is due to the criticism of shipping too many titles which also did hurt sales
      The impression being given is that the eventual "normal" GH family of books will be the present day Hornet, present day Kato and one book set in the 40's. Unless the movie gets sequeled, I don't see any need to continue with that version of the character.

I do like the Strikes version as well and would be into an occasion 4-6 issue mini for that character while the above titles run, or a Blood Ties type of flashback mini that ties in to events in the main Hornet book. Averaging a book a week seems like a good rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        I do like the Strikes version as well and would be into an occasion 4-6 issue mini for that character while the above titles run, or a Blood Ties type of flashback mini that ties in to events in the main Hornet book. Averaging a book a week seems like a good rate.
        Sounds about right. I enjoyed Year one and KS:Green Hornet & Strikes took a little while to grow on me but I enjoy them. After the first arc I dropped Kato Year one because as a mystery it would read better and eaiser as a TPB. Remastered was interesting and so was Blood Ties. KS Kato I never did get into and Aftermath & Parallel Lives did nothng for me. As i said before not bad really.

I like the idea of concentrating on the two main series (three if you count Kato), with an occasional mini-series. I realy like the idea of more stories featuring the current GH's father. It's to bad there is no way to conect the Year One Green Hornet to the Current and make it a three generation story similar to what Now Comics did.

The other thing I'd like to see is mention of the Lone Ranger. With Dynamite having the rights it might just be possible to do a 'team up'. The story starts with the Lone Ranger and finishes with the Green Hornet. HINT HINT Maybe even something similar to what is going on with the Death of Zorro Story. Maybe even Britt just trying to find out how the Lone Ranger died?
        Last edited by Ghornet2; 04-18-2011, 05:49 PM.
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Trimming the GH line is most certainly a good idea, there is/was just waaaay too many GH books to purchase per month and without so many books I could see the core Green Hornet title doing even better than it has been. A simple lineup of Green Horner, Green Hornet: Year One (two, three, ect), Green Hornet Strikes and one Kato title would be absolutely perfect from this readers standpoint.
          Dynamite Entertainment
          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            The other thing I'd like to see is mention of the Lone Ranger. With Dynamite having the rights it might just be possible to do a 'team up'. The story starts with the Lone Ranger and finishes with the Green Hornet. HINT HINT Maybe even something similar to what is going on with the Death of Zorro Story. Maybe even Britt just trying to find out how the Lone Ranger died?
            There was a Crow mini series many years ago in which present day events were triggered by something that happened about 100 years prior. I could see something like that to achieve what you suggest above, whether it's finding a skeleton, a treasure hunt type of story, etc. I think that would be quite cool.

Comment

• Got the virgin art cover! Yay!

I know circumstances were different, but was Jr's reaction not a little over the top? He DID deliberately kill Black Hornet though circumstances were much different, I know.

On the flip side, Clutch could have been a touch more sensitive about the whole thing.

Still, I'm enjoying having Jr on his own for a spell and learning through necessity, as well as seeing the cast continue to grow.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                All 3 titles are running behind schedue - Green Hornet: Year One, Kato: Way of the Warrior, Green Hornet Strikes and even Kevin Smith's Kato (now just titled Kato) due to the time for the art to be the strongest it can be.
                I want to go back to this for a second to express appreciation to Jonathan Lau for consistently providing dynamic art for the main Hornet title. It's going to have to happen eventually, but I don't want anyone else on that title right now.

As to the Aftermath book itself, I don't have much to add. If this were the only Hornet book being published, I wouldn't bother with it. But because of the other books, I just view it as another take on the character and go in expecting slapstick.

But that said, Kato came off, both in the movie and parallel lives, as being the straight man. I don't expect him to be that big a part of the silliness.

Comment

• That's a good point, CC. Apparently, it is not that Britt Jr. has a problem with killing--he has a problem with accidentally killing. Which, frankly, is an odd moral stance ("I should be the final arbiter of who gets to live and who dies") that might be the basis for an interesting story arc in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                    That's a good point, CC. Apparently, it is not that Britt Jr. has a problem with killing--he has a problem with accidentally killing. Which, frankly, is an odd moral stance ("I should be the final arbiter of who gets to live and who dies") that might be the basis for an interesting story arc in the future.
                    Maybe that's the direction the conversation should have taken.

JR: "I can't believe I killed that guy!"

Clutch: "Well, you killed the Black Hornet though"

JR: "Sure, but...huh...he deserved it!"

Actually Clutch pointing that out would have made more sense and set up an opportunity for Jr to clear up his stance. It's probably a self-defense thing; BH puched them both over the side of the building, whereas in #15, Jr is the one the aggressor.

Comment

• The story in the first issue of Aftermath is not bad for the first part. I couldn't help think how much more I would have liked if Colton Worley had illustrated it. Jai Nitz and Colton Worley made a great team on Kato Origins and they could do the same with this title.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                        The story in the first issue of Aftermath is not bad for the first part. I couldn't help think how much more I would have liked if Colton Worley had illustrated it. Jai Nitz and Colton Worley made a great team on Kato Origins and they could do the same with this title.
                        Just happened across this--Thanks! Glad you like the book!

-Colton

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                          I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments on Aftermath? It's been nearly a week.

I didn't care for it. The art left me cold and the writing was ok (at best).
                          The art alone turned me off. I'm loving the main title and after some of the description I'm not upset I didn't pick it up.
                          Makes it sound like they took the silly stuff from the movie and amped it up to the point of being unentertaining.

Comment

• Dynamite, I love ya, but PLEASE work on this kind of thing:

Kato Origins #10:

Kato is undercover investigating business collusion for the Sentinel when a whodunit murder happens. Kato's undercover identity as a Siamese prince quickly erodes. What will the guests do when they find him out? Will they think he's the killer?
                            Final issue of the series!!

However, there is a solicitation for #11:

The conclusion of the whodunit murder mystery comes to a shocking end. Everyone is disguised and everyone is hiding something, even Kato! Can the masked master of martial arts bring justice to society's elite? Or will it get pinned on the butler?
                            Final issue of the series!!

We seldom seem to know what's ongoing, what's limited, and among the limited, how many issues it's supposed to run. That really should not be a mystery, should it?

Comment

• I don't think you are giving Aftermath a fair chance. The first issue is just the start of a continued series. You wouldn't judge a novel after only having read the first few pages. It's a lot better than the first issue of a lot of other comics that I have read.

You can't say that it is just another take on the character. It's the de facto Green Hornet that readers recognize because it reflects what millions of people saw at the movie.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post

As to the Aftermath book itself, I don't have much to add. If this were the only Hornet book being published, I wouldn't bother with it. But because of the other books, I just view it as another take on the character and go in expecting slapstick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                                You can't say that it is just another take on the character. It's the de facto Green Hornet that readers recognize because it reflects what millions of people saw at the movie.
                                So since it's the only proper version of the character Dynamite should just cancel all of the other Green Hornet books

That just means it might be the currently most recognizable not the 'defacto' version. I'm sure to most people the TV version is still the 'defacto' version

If being in a movie makes it the version, why are the X-Men still wearing their colorful costumes or Batman switched to a molded 'latex' costume and the new Batgirl should have been the Alicia Silverstone version

All the movie version is, is the movie version of a character. Heck sometimes the movies aren't even close. The movie "Burglar" with Whoopie Goldberg was based on the book "Burglar in the Closet". In the book the main character was a white jewish male. In the movie it was Whoopie. But since the movie version was the 'defatco' version I guess the author should have change the character in the books that followed
                                Last edited by Ghornet2; 04-26-2011, 12:02 AM.
                                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X