No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The movie has the same premise as the TV program except that it's campy. Britt Reid is still the Green Hornet and Kato is still who he is supposed to be. Most Green Hornet fans including me would consider the television program the official version. The movie is the de facto version (not official but widely recognized).

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    So since it's the only proper version of the character Dynamite should just cancel all of the other Green Hornet books

That just means it might be the currently most recognizable not the 'defacto' version. I'm sure to most people the TV version is still the 'defacto' version
    Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
      I don't think you are giving Aftermath a fair chance. The first issue is just the start of a continued series. You wouldn't judge a novel after only having read the first few pages. It's a lot better than the first issue of a lot of other comics that I have read.

You can't say that it is just another take on the character. It's the de facto Green Hornet that readers recognize because it reflects what millions of people saw at the movie.
      What I meant when I said that I didn't have anything to add was that any of the criticism I might have have already been mentioned (like Kato with the girl's bike and the Beauty running out of gas). Yeah, it might seem kind of silly for Kato to ride a girls bike around but on the other hand he turns it into a weapon, which is pretty consistent with how he was portrayed in the movie.

Other than those little things I don't really have a problem with it and I'll get the rest of the series. When I refer to it as another take, I don't mean that as a knock. Yes, it's the most widely-known one now, but it wasn't the first one, so I just mean that it's another version of the original character.

Comment

• The final issue of Kato: Origins will be issue 11. I'm not sure what happened in the solicitations, since I'm not involved with that stuff, but I'm guessing there must have been some miss-communication.

-Colton Worley

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        Dynamite, I love ya, but PLEASE work on this kind of thing:

Kato Origins #10:

Kato is undercover investigating business collusion for the Sentinel when a whodunit murder happens. Kato's undercover identity as a Siamese prince quickly erodes. What will the guests do when they find him out? Will they think he's the killer?
        Final issue of the series!!

However, there is a solicitation for #11:

The conclusion of the whodunit murder mystery comes to a shocking end. Everyone is disguised and everyone is hiding something, even Kato! Can the masked master of martial arts bring justice to society's elite? Or will it get pinned on the butler?
        Final issue of the series!!

We seldom seem to know what's ongoing, what's limited, and among the limited, how many issues it's supposed to run. That really should not be a mystery, should it?

Comment

• What was your inspiration for drawing Kato? You seam to really enjoy drawing the character. I was impressed with the way you drew the action poses, facial expressions and attractive cover paintings.

Originally posted by Colton Worley View Post
          The final issue of Kato: Origins will be issue 11. I'm not sure what happened in the solicitations, since I'm not involved with that stuff, but I'm guessing there must have been some miss-communication.

-Colton Worley

Comment

• I love drawing Kato. He's a very fun character to draw because he's got two great looks to him--ninja and pulp! Hard to come by, really. And even though its a rare occasion, I love it when I get to draw the Green Hornet as well. These characters really have great style.

For Kato, I was trying to go for a streamlined look to him. Someone who looks very lean and quick but with some power to him. I draw him a little taller than the other artists, I think, too. Not quite as tall as Britt or anything, but I didn't want him being the shortest man in the room as he's sometimes been drawn. I also wanted his clothing be rather nice Since Britt's rich and I don't think he'd skimp on the night time duds. I don't think I really achieved that till about issue 6 and on--issue 8 really shows off Kato's and the Green Hornet's outfits as having some serious weight to them and looking tailor made. I recently came up with an idea to slightly reshape Kato's mask as well. I was thinking it would be cool for the close-ups if they revealed Kato's mask to actually look similar to the masks Samurai wore--with etchings and such (was thinking of a subtle dragon theme) but I won't get to do that now as I literally just came up with that like a week ago. Oh well. Facial expressions are always fun to draw, I'm a big fan of the way Alex Toth, Adam Hughes, and Kevin Maguire did those so I look to them for inspiration usually. Action poses though--I look to Jose Louis Garcia Lopez and a few others for that. Panel layouts are a big deal for me too--I always thought my work looked a little to structured and stiff in those first five issues so since then I've been trying to come up with innovative ways to lay out a page if I can. I also look at a lot of Frank Frazetta,Alex Raymond, Keven Nowlan, Katsuhiro Otomo, and Moebius stuff when I can (Raymond's Rip Kirby work is amazing to look at)...I'm a bit of an old school guy I guess.

The Covers were at first kind of like pin-ups but that got boring for me so I thought of trying to go for more pulp-like covers. Depends on the issue really. I usually only get a synopsis of the issue rather than a full script to work off of (because I do the covers so far ahead of time) so it all depends on that and what images come to mind. Sometimes it's extremely difficult and other times everything just comes together. Covers are always fun to do though.

-Colton Worley

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
            What was your inspiration for drawing Kato? You seam to really enjoy drawing the character. I was impressed with the way you drew the action poses, facial expressions and attractive cover paintings.

Comment

• Great! I can always tell when someone puts their heart into their work. I hope you do more Green Hornet and Kato books for Dynamite. I told my LCS to make sure that I always get the copy of Kato Origins with the Colton Worley cover. I hope to see you at a comic book convention in the future.

Originally posted by Colton Worley View Post
              I love drawing Kato. He's a very fun character to draw because he's got two great looks to him--ninja and pulp! Hard to come by, really. And even though its a rare occasion, I love it when I get to draw the Green Hornet as well. These characters really have great style.

-Colton Worley

Comment

• I have a question: who designed the look for the "Year One/Origins" version of Kato?

The reason I ask is because while GH pretty much looks like the character as portrayed in the two 1940s Universal movie serials, Kato looks exactly like he was portrayed by Bruce Lee in the TV series.

Seems like an odd mesh to me. I'd have preferred either the look from the movie serials (goggles), or more of a ninja look, with the standard 1940s chauffeur uniform topped off with a ninja-style mask and chauffeur's hat.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Orginally, Dynamite asked me how I'd draw Kato and Green Hornet if I were to draw them. They sent me a few cover samples/pin-ups that John Cassaday had done to show me what the characters looked like--which is what you see in Green Hornet Year One (it might have been Wagner or Campbell who designed them, I'm not sure, but they sent me images by Cassaday). So I sent back some images of Kato and Green Hornet, but changed Kato so that the bandages/wrappings (don't know what to call them) were taken off the lower legs and arms. I definitely was thinking of Bruce Lee in those early stages and decided for the sake of fighting he'd want looser fitting clothes. Dynamite liked it, so we went with it. But that's the only change that was done--losing the bandages/wrappings. Later, by issue 6, I gave him a slightly better hat and suit because I had decided Kato looked a little ragged in those first five issues, but that's all that changed, just an upgrade of threads with no change to the design at all. Everything else is the same.

Bruce Lee's Kato outfit didn't have a belt and didn't have the...shoulder strap(?)...not sure what to call it but you know what I mean. Bruce Lee's outfit only had the suit and mask and hat--which I thought about, but seemed to far away from the original design Dynamite had sent me. I actually make slight changes to Green Hornet when I draw him as well. First, his hat is slightly bigger when I draw him. I also like to make his trench coat fitted and only go down to his knees--sounds stupid until you actually see it--it looks great and makes him look taller as well. When the trench coat goes down to his calves I it looks too bulky and in the way to me.

If I had known about the goggle look from the two movie serials I might have tried that as well, but those movies were never mentioned to me. I didn't learn about them till much later. That goggle look is pretty cool looking...

-Colton Worley

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  I have a question: who designed the look for the "Year One/Origins" version of Kato?

The reason I ask is because while GH pretty much looks like the character as portrayed in the two 1940s Universal movie serials, Kato looks exactly like he was portrayed by Bruce Lee in the TV series.

Seems like an odd mesh to me. I'd have preferred either the look from the movie serials (goggles), or more of a ninja look, with the standard 1940s chauffeur uniform topped off with a ninja-style mask and chauffeur's hat.

Comment

• Is nobody else going to ask? Is it just my imagination, or should Kato Origins #8 have appeared BEFORE Kato Origins #7?

Comment

• That's a question for Jai Nitz. I don't write it, I just draw it. However, I know it's meant to be a flash back issue explaining how Kato and James got to the Hellfire Club. I think when collected as a paperback it would make more sense. I liked the idea of going back to explain how they got there, myself, but to each his own. Issue 8 sure was fun to draw though.

-Colton Worley

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                      Is nobody else going to ask? Is it just my imagination, or should Kato Origins #8 have appeared BEFORE Kato Origins #7?

Comment

• Originally posted by Colton Worley View Post
                        That's a question for Jai Nitz. I don't write it, I just draw it. However, I know it's meant to be a flash back issue explaining how Kato and James got to the Hellfire Club. I think when collected as a paperback it would make more sense. I liked the idea of going back to explain how they got there, myself, but to each his own. Issue 8 sure was fun to draw though.
                        I was wondering if it was meant as a flashback. I guess the problem I was having is that I could find no evidence within the issue that it was a flasback. #7 ended with Kato standing over a dead body. #8 neither began with nor ended with that same scene to clue us in that Kato was thinking back on how he got there.

Regardless, it doesn't change how much I love this series. The artwork has always been a delight, as has the writing. I know this is a limited series, but I really wish it were ongoing.

Comment

• Glad you like it. Jai's scripts were fun to work off of, and Kato's a great character to draw. Fun times.

-Colton Worley

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                          I was wondering if it was meant as a flashback. I guess the problem I was having is that I could find no evidence within the issue that it was a flasback. #7 ended with Kato standing over a dead body. #8 neither began with nor ended with that same scene to clue us in that Kato was thinking back on how he got there.

Regardless, it doesn't change how much I love this series. The artwork has always been a delight, as has the writing. I know this is a limited series, but I really wish it were ongoing.

Comment

• The Hornet is included among this batch too.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-311/

Comment

• I really enjoyed this issue, haven't had a bad one yet. Not even a mediocre one imo. The smooth transition by the creative team made this work. The last smooth transition I recall was in the 90's when it went from McFarlene to Larsen.

So I guess Mulan is going to be back on her feet next issue based on the cover for #16?

Looking forward to seeing how this new baddie, Red Hand plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Craig View Post
                                So I guess Mulan is going to be back on her feet next issue based on the cover for #16?
                                Probably, but don't believe everything you see on a cover

I'll admit at first I didn't take to the series, dropped it after 1 issue, but then had a chance to pick up a bunch on the cheap ($1 each). Now I can't decude between, Strikes, Year One or Green Hornet. I guess it comes down to which ever is in my hands
                                Last edited by Ghornet2; 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM.
                                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X