No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magna, GH is my favorite. Ande Parks does a great job with the writing. As you can see from another discussion, there is some debate on the art. Welcome to the Hornet's Nest.

Comment

• I didn't read the Now books. What changes and/or additions are you hoping for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
        Magna, GH is my favorite. Ande Parks does a great job with the writing.
        Thankfully it doesn't seem as though he's going anywhere any time soon.

NickyB teased an event later in the year that would give the Hornet a boost and hopefully lead to the return of some of the earlier books (or the start of some new ones). That's the news I'm waiting on right now.

Comment

• I actually love the Phil Hester issues, the whole angle between the church and that dude who was a skeleton with the syth arc was freaking fun as hell, as good as if not better than the arc with the Black Hornet, which I loved as well. I can't wait to see where the current story takes us, I can't wait every month for the next issue!

Comment

• What kind of villains would you like to see JHornet face?

Personally I would love to see some mystic villains, I want some superpowers involved in the villains at times, but I have liked the Black Hornet being a human in a costume. It was cool. I see so much potential for some classic villains to come out of this book, hopefully Hester doesn't disapoint leading up to issue #30!

Comment

• I prefer the more realistic villains. Crime bosses, thugs and ninjas are OK, but they should stick closer to the Dick Tracy/Batman rogues gallery types and not ridiculous superpowers like Spider-Man's or the Flash's villains. No mystic/supernatural stuff please.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Yeah, I don't see anything like that happening. NOW had 3 generations of Hornets & Katos (Golden Age, Silver Age, and Modern) in the same universe, but it's pretty clear we aren't going to find out that Green Hornet Year One and (Kevin Smith's) Green Hornet both occur in the same universe (to say nothing of Green Hornet Strikes!). The latter two reference earlier versions (both being similar to the 1960s TV series Hornet, but obviously NOT having taken place in the 1960s in DE's versions).
                Last edited by positronic; 04-22-2012, 01:27 PM.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I would take a mix of both. I love super-villains with awesome powers and brute strength, but at the same time I enjoy realistic villains like the Black Hornet character because it makes for an even playing field between hero and villain. Either which way, cool villains always help to make a cool hero.....even cooler, if that makes any sense at all.

Comment

• I want to see some actual super villains. Even with non powered heroes I like the villains to be a little more than human. My favorite batman foes were Mr. Freeze, Bane, and Man Bat. I think GH and Kato need to face someone with some advanced science or technology. . . stay away from magic.

Comment

• I don't see the Green Hornet as a superhero in the modern sense. I'd feel the same about Batman as well were it not for the fact that he inhabits a universe along with the Justice League, etc. I feel strongly that Green Hornet should hew closer to the real world and not get too fantastic and far-out. Tech based "superpowers" (e.g. Mr. Freeze's freeze gun) are OK, but there's a fine line -- GH shouldn't get too science-fictional. Otherwise it becomes "just another superhero comic" like the dozens that DC and Marvel publish every month. Yaawwwwwwwwwwnn. Frankly, I'd like to see them play up the crime/noir/pulp angle more, as much as that's possible in a modern setting. The Dick Tracy model for theme/gimmick criminals is the one that GH ought to emulate.

I am reminded by this discussion of that embarassingly bad 2-parter "Invasion From Outer Space" episode of the TV series in which it appeared that GH was fighting space aliens (actually criminals posing as space aliens, in what looked like leftover costumes from "Lost In Space"). Probably just as well that the show was cancelled before they went any further in that direction.
                      Last edited by positronic; 04-23-2012, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• I'm with those who wouldn't mind seeing some villains with super-powers, I think it would broaden the rouge gallery and add a sense of "threat" to the Green Hornet instead of him going after the same old mob bosses and random thugs. He also needs a true nemesis, a villains that will come back and haunt him from time to time who's not going to leave easily and accept defeat, I'm hoping to see that sooner or later.
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• If the Spider-Man type villains start showing up, I'm afraid I'm done with GH. If that's what I wanted, I'd just read Spider-Man. If it's a guy with a tech suit or gadget that gives him "superpowers" (as long as it seems within the realm of plausibility for the 21st century) I'm OK with it. No mechanical bird-wings or octopus arms, though. The cyborg dudes in the recent issue are about the limit of what I'd want to see (and that, very sparingly) in this book. No mutants or radiation-altered humans, energy-based powers, etc. Even the super-steroid enhanched types are pushing it. The first hulked-out, impossibly muscled guy I see, I quit.
                          Last edited by positronic; 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Yeah I am not asking for aliens or demons or any of that. I want everything to seem like it at least exists in the realm of scientific possibility. Tech criminals, super steroid guys etc. I kind of think back to Batman the Animated Series because that used a very noir style with mostly just regular guy type villains but every so often they threw in a Mr. Freeze or a Bane or a Man-Bat to give them a real challenge.

For me Green Hornet is all about the hero and his sidekick and the villains are just there to give them something to react and respond to. I would love to see how the two non powered people with limited technology (as in the hornet gun, the darts, and the stinger are fine but don't go giving him a battlesuit or anything) deal with villains that have that edge.

I am excited to hear that a future volume (I wait for the trades) will have cyborgs in it.

I think one way to compromise and make everyone happy is to keep Year One as the standard mob bosses and ninjas and to make the main series go a little more high tech. Alternatively give Strikes! another try and put the supervillains in that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
                              I think one way to compromise and make everyone happy is to keep Year One as the standard mob bosses and ninjas and to make the main series go a little more high tech. Alternatively give Strikes! another try and put the supervillains in that one.
                              Works for me...

Comment

• Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
                                I think one way to compromise and make everyone happy is to keep Year One as the standard mob bosses and ninjas...
                                That should be pretty easy, seeing as how Green Hornet Year One isn't being published any more. But I'm not happy about it, and since it isn't being published, I wish the current Green Hornet could retain more of the "pulp" feeling for the character, since it's the only Hornet book left. Ed Brubaker manages to do "pulp", even though a lot of his stories are set in modern times.

Comment

Working...
                                X