The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
    That should be pretty easy, seeing as how Green Hornet Year One isn't being published any more. But I'm not happy about it, and since it isn't being published, I wish the current Green Hornet could retain more of the "pulp" feeling for the character, since it's the only Hornet book left. Ed Brubaker manages to do "pulp", even though a lot of his stories are set in modern times.
    Well, Year One was supposed to be a 12 issue maxi-series, but I was kind of hoping for a Year Two book followed by a Year Three and so on. No such luck, though.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Someone one Twitter made it sound as though Ande was leaving Hornet after Outcast but he says he's already solicited for the arc after that.

Simple confusion: He said he was struggling with his "final issue" but he meant of Outcast, not of Hornet in general.

Comment

• No shock:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/03/14...producer-says/

If you, like me, were a fan of Seth Rogen's version of "The Green Hornet," you're in for a disappointment: a sequel just isn't in the cards, at least not right now.

Producer Neal Moritz spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about a variety of subjects, including his work on this week's comedy "21 Jump Street." Among the topics that came up was "Green Hornet," and Moritz confirmed that a sequel isn't happening anytime soon.

"The movie did almost $250 million and was actually very well liked, but we made the movie for too much money," said the producer. "One, we made it in L.A. for certain reasons, and two, we decided to go to 3D -- that added another $10 million. If I had done it in a tax-rebate state and not done 3D, it would have been considered a huge financial success for the studio. So we're not making a sequel right now."

Look, I loved "The Green Hornet." I loved Seth Rogen and Jay Chou as Britt Reid and Kato, I loved the Black Beauty, I loved Katovision, I even loved Chudnofsky to pieces. So I would be very game to see a sequel at some point down the line. But should Rogen's "Hornet" remain a one-off, that's fine, too—it works perfectly well on its own merit, a stoner action comedy for the ages. My ages, at the very least.

Comment

• That's a relief. But I'm over the movie by now, I just wish I hadn't thrown away my money on the DVD based on a minority of positive reviewers and a trailer that made the movie look like it really could be kind of fun, if you just adjusted your mindset to expect an action-buddy-comedy flick (which I did -- and boy, was I disappointed). What I'm really still steamed about is that all the movie publicity didn't result in a DVD release for the 1960s TV series (I thought for sure...)!

What a waste of a very cool car.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I have mixed emotions about this. The movie wasn't as bad as I expected. A little to much comedy but . . . I still think it would make a good TV show. With Casey and the DA in on the secret and using the Sentinal staff as information sources or unknowing agents. Set it up similar to TNT's Leverage were they go after the 'criminals with in the law' with the occasional straight gangster or street gang etc. Isn't TNT doing a series of Mystery of the week type movies?
            Last edited by Ghornet2; 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM. Reason: typos
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
              Set it up similar to TNT's Leverage were they go after the 'criminals with in the law' with the occasional straight gangster or street gang etc.
              "...So that criminals and racketeers, within the law, may feel its weight... by the sting of the Green Hornet!"

Have to admit I never really understood that. If they're criminals, aren't they, by definition, operating outside the law? Not that they're not subject to the law, like everyone else, but even if they're taking advantage of a legal loophole to fleece innocent citizens, don't they deserve to be busted just on principle? And even the Green Hornet (regardless of his honorable intentions) uses unorthodox, possibly illegal, vigilante methods when it comes to fighting crime, so technically he is breaking the law (not that it matters since he's considered a master criminal by the police anyway).
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Criminal's With In The Law

I always took it to mean either criminals who covered themselves so well the police couldn't touch them or the ones that use 'legal loopholes' and the power of their position to take advantage of the little people.
                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Superpowered villains could work, maybe nothing too ridiculous, but something tasteful and believable.

Comment

• Green Hornet Strikes #10

Sure looks like this issue "WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED" ... 2 more months goes by and NADA!!!!!! I hate it when a publisher does this and begins to run-amok in every direction!! Come on DE lets finish what you started, or are we going to see this happen to the other short series like Vampi Red Room, Dejah Thoris and the White Apes, Vampi vs Dracula and Warriors of Mars??????

Comment

• Dynamite went a little nutty on the Green Hornet franchise, launching FIVE ongoing series (Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, Green Hornet Strikes!, Green Hornet Year One, Kato, Kato Origins) all within a few months, and then adding in a couple of movie-based miniseries within the first year. Oversaturating the market effectively killed every one of those titles in the long run, except for the original (Kevin Smith's) Green Hornet. The "blitz" approach was also in (somewhat lesser) evidence in the rollouts of the Project Superpowers and Kirby Genesis franchises. Various comments I've read in interviews here and there make me think that DE has learned its lesson from these and will roll out franchise titles somewhat more cautiously in the future. It's true that the Warlord of Mars franchise has spawned five titles, but they were staggered in release, with three of them designed as short-run series from the get-go. With the WoM franchise, DE seems to be letting the demand lead the supply instead of adopting an "if you build it, they will come" approach.
                      Last edited by positronic; 05-03-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Green Hornet #25

Anyone grab this today? I did and even though the story told within these pages was well worth the price of admission I felt the art by Cliquet was just downright terrible. I hate to say that because I'm sure he tries and you can tell he works hard, but his style of art is just NOT meant for a book like this, which I would consider to be very cinematic and epic. Like I said, the story helps to save this book but if the art doesn't get better than I'm not sure if I can bring myself to continue on with it for very much longer, it's just.....bad.

Comment

• Green Hornet #25

I assume you meant #25.

Aside from the art (which I personally don't feel qualified to comment on)(I can't draw a stick figure with any conviction), what did anybody think about the writing? I am a little worried with how Kato is being written. She was portrayed very much as the Helpless Woman in this issue, just screaming other characters' names.

Speaking of which, how much of a secret identity will the Hornet have left now that Kato has scream "BRITT!!!" at the (apparent) body of the Hornet in front of two (apparent) police officers? I mean, "Britt" is not the most common of names. If she had shouted "JOHN!!!" he'd still be fairly ambiguous, but the number of Britts in Century City might be on the low side.

Comment

• Best artwork this book has ever had. Ronan's drawing of Grace Gentry (an older woman with distinctive facial features, particularly as seen on page 6) impressed me -- many artists have a couple of stock character type faces, but not Cliquet. Page 6 was even a little reminiscent of Alan Davis's work. I really like his panel layouts and the way he stages action sequences, too. Very clear and easy to follow. If there's any weakness here it's in the inking, which seems to vary from page to page. Some pages look great, others are a little rough. For example, compare Chritton on page 1 with the similar image of him on page 8. Page 1 looks fine, page 8 is kinda weak. I would guess there are a couple or more uncredited inkers. Either that, or I'm looking at combination of limited inking and shot-directly-from-pencils work -- if that's the case, he needs to pay a little more attention to consistency in the type of pencil he's using for outlining figures, etc. Regardless, I wish Cliquet could be the regular artist, instead of this constant flipping back and forth between issues. That part is a little jarring, since the styles are so dissimilar. I'd be very surprised if this guy isn't recruited by Marvel or DC in the next few years.

OK, my only other comment is how does the Hornet (we know it is Britt and not the other guy because he had a tooth knocked out) fall from a great height onto a parked car at the end? First we see the two Hornets fighting, then Britt tosses the phony off a tall building and jumps after him, and they go crashing through a skylight into what is obviously a warehouse (we even see the cops and Kato outside), where they continue the fight. And THEN Britt falls out of the sky. Hate to tell you there aren't very many multi-story warehouses -- makes it harder for the forklifts and all that.
                            Last edited by positronic; 05-24-2012, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• The art was okay but its certainly not nearly as good as Jonathan Lau or even as good as Igor Virotino, I can tolorate it but I'm not super invested into it as I am the other two artists. I can't wait for issue #26 to see if Britt's identity has bee compromised or not, what a story number 25 had!
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Glad to see the new issue getting discussed already! I can answer a point or two. Mulan using Britt's name like that was my decision. I intended for it to feel like the moment overwhelmed her logic centers briefly. That said, I didn't picture cops right around here when she yelled out. If they appear to be within earshot, it's a matter of me not communicating that well enough in the script. I do get a chance to review the lettered art, and it didn't strike me that cops would be hearing Britt's name clearly in the chaos of the moment.

So, forgive a spoiler, but Britt's identity being compromised is not in my immediate plans. Not a bad thought for the future, though...

I can also say that the body that dropped onto the car is Britt's. We showed his face just to be sure readers wouldn't think we were copping out by having it turn out to be Jenson.

The logic of Britt's fall was: fall from high building to lower storage space, fight, and then get kicked/thrown out of window to street below.

The last two issues of this arc are pretty chaotic and action-packed. Ronin is drawing them, and I really like what I've seen.

Thanks for sticking with us. I hope we can stick the landing!

Best,
                                Anj

Comment

Working...
                                X