No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps I should give more details on myself. Though I think I already did that elsewhere. I was primarily a DC guy from 89 to 07. I saw the kind of story arc you describe on the DC side, over and over again. I saw Batman's back broken. I saw Superman die. I saw Green Lantern turn evil and blow up the Corps. I saw Titans Tower destroyed and the team on the run. I saw Nightwing go through a scenario not too different from Daredevil's. I saw Zero Hour. I saw Gotham City destroyed, ridden with plague, abandoned. I saw Wonder woman replaced by an ends-justifies-the-means type. Over and over and over I saw these things. I saw Identity Crisis, in which the silver age Justice League were turned into nothing more than mind-wiping villains. I saw Roy Harper lose his arm, then his daughter, then his mind. I saw the Titans replaced by a group of thugs led by Deathstroke. I saw Infinite Crisis. I saw Black Adam go on his killing spree at the end of the previous 52.

And I said:

ENOUGH.

Enough is enough.

If the only way to tell "memorable" stories is to treat the characters like garbage--because yes, that's exactly what it is--then the stories aren't worth telling. We've been through the dark, desparate times. Been there, done that, bought the t shirt, wrote the book, wrote several sequels to the book. It's time--long since past time--for heroes to be heroes again.

In an earlier post, positronic talked about curve balls. I would say that long ago the curve ball has been thrown inside so far, so many times, that it's become the pitcher deliberately hitting the batter. Every time. Only the batter isn't allowed to take a base as compensation.

Am I sensitive on the subject? You can be certain that I am. A sensitivity gained through long overexposure.

I came to Dynamite because of Green Hornet; I had read some of the Now Comics GH back in the 90s. I had hoped I would find something different here, better here. That since you guys weren't fighting tooth and claw to be #1 on the sales charts every month, the shock-horror, things-will-never-be-the-same-again cliche could be avoided.

And at first I was hopeful reading Annual #2. Then #23. I knew there was a long term plan with the scumbag and his enforcer in the whore's den, but I was okay with that. Even the Mayor's death didn't phase me much. I was a little worried about Kato at the end of #24, but only a little.

Then came #25.

And I went, "Not again."

Because guys, I'm not going to go through this again. I'm not going to give you guys 18 years like I did DC.

I want to stay. I want to keep reading GH, and branch out into Vampirella, another independent 90s title that I liked.

But I'm not going to go through the song and dance again. I've been burned too many times.

I hope that clarifies my position. I haven't left, yet. I don't want to have to. You guys were my way back into comics, after DC chased me out.

But you can understand how it looks to me like I might be chased out again.

Comment

• Understood. I really hope you'll be happy when the arc is over.

Anj

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
        ...many artists have a couple of stock character type faces, but not Cliquet.
        Good point. It jumped out at me with the new mayor's assistant.

Now if we could settle once and for all what hell Chritton looks like...

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        OK, my only other comment is how does the Hornet (we know it is Britt and not the other guy because he had a tooth knocked out) fall from a great height onto a parked car at the end?
        I was more puzzled as to how far he fell into the warehouse in the first place without killing himself. Landed on his feet without difficulty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
          And notice that Chritton's hat and coat are green. Does every good guy in Century City wear a green coat and fedora?
          Further note that there are six credited colourists on this book. Could no one suggest, I don't know...navy blue?

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
            Not sure how you're defining flagship title here.
            It may have been intended to be at one point, but like most Dynamite titles the attention given to it dwindles the further it gets from issue #1 in order to promote new stuff that Dynamite will ignore in a few months for the next batch. 'tis the Dynamite circle of life.

Ah well. At least it comes out pretty regularly.
            Last edited by Captain Canuck; 06-16-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcalian View Post
              If the only way to tell "memorable" stories is to treat the characters like garbage--because yes, that's exactly what it is--then the stories aren't worth telling.
              It's not the only way, but it's inevitable to a degree. The whole thing is about people overcoming adversity. The most difficult conditions are the personal ones. You have to expect that there's going to be a fair amount of it.

I think you probably get that but you're looking for a) a better balance and b) for whatever adversity there is to not be gratuitous. In other words, there for no other reason than to shock.

Sometimes, a story about stopping a bank robbery is just fine. It doesn't have to include a stray bullet hitting the main character's pregnant girlfriend in the face for it to be "good".

I don't think GH is even near being treated that way though.

Comment

• Several weeks after this was last talked about, is there even an ETA for this book yet? Will it be solicited all over again or just someday happen to appear among the "in stores this week" list?

Comment

• So much time has gone by since #9 came out that I doubt we will ever see #10, or a trade collection either for that matter.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Update:

From Dynamite's "In Stores This Week" email newsletter, dated 07-04-12:

LETTERS TO DYNAMITE:

Send all letters to: letters@dynamite.net

DAVID WRITES: I was just wondering if the Green Hornet Strikes #10 has been published or will it be published?

It will be published!

No details on when, though...
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Green Hornet #27 and Beyond

Just wanted to drop by to say that issue #27 is my last issue as sole writer. Starting with issue #28, I am providing plots or story ideas for Jai Nitz to work from. On issue #28, I wrote a fairly tight outline. After that, I pretty much just provided Jai with some basic notes and the idea for the villain.

I have said here before that I was not leaving the book anytime soon. In as much as I'm somehow involved up to issue #32, that was true. I didn't foresee leaving the full writing duties at the end of the OUTCAST arc, but that's just how it worked out. After writing almost thirty issues of Green Hornet and Kato, it was time to look for a new challenge. It's a good thing.

Please stay tuned for what Jai has in store, and please check out issue #27! I'm really proud of how we wrapped the OUTCAST arc.

Thanks for the support on Green Hornet and Kato. I'm going to keep trying to do my damndest to bring you guys good work, on Lone Ranger and on something new...

Humbly,
                      Anj
                      Last edited by Ande Parks; 07-18-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ande Parks View Post
                        Just wanted to drop by to say that issue #27 is my last issue as sole writer. Starting with issue #28, I am providing plots or story ideas for Jai Nitz to work from. On issue #28, I wrote a fairly tight outline. After that, I pretty much just provided Jai with some basic notes and the idea for the villain.

I have said here before that I was not leaving the book anytime soon. In as much as I'm somehow involved up to issue #32, that was true. I didn't foresee leaving the full writing duties at the end of the OUTCAST arc, but that's just how it worked out. After writing almost thirty issues of Green Hornet and Kato, it was time to look for a new challenge. It's a good thing.

Please stay tuned for what Jai has in store, and please check out issue #27! I'm really proud of how we wrapped the OUTCAST arc.

Thanks for the support on Green Hornet and Kato. I'm going to keep trying to do my damndest to bring you guys good work, on Lone Ranger and on something new...

Humbly,
                        Anj
                        Jai is good, I loved his work on Silver Star and I'm sure he'll do Green Hornet justice, especially since you're still involved.

Thanks for the update, friend!

Comment

• Thanks for you work on the character. I know I'm not the only one that appreciates the effort Dynamite, the writers, and the artists consistently put in to making this a great quality book.

Now I have even more reason to finally give "Lone Ranger" a try. . .

Comment

• Ande, I am sorry to see you leave. You have done a great job developing the characters and moving this title along. I am glad you will have some input for several issues to go. I have heard good things about Jai and am hopeful. Will you be continuing on Lone Ranger?

From Kevin Smith to Phil Hester to you, Dynamite has had strong writers for this title.

I wish the news was that Ronan was leaving. Oh well.

Comment

• Green Hornet #26

Did anybody pick this up? Any comments?

Comment

• Thank you for keeping the Hornet's fans informed Mr. Parks, and thank you for your immense contribution sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X