No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont put a lot of stock on the solicitations when it comes to credits or release dates. The solicitations for 25 to 28 all listed Vitorino as the artist and it turned out to be Cliquet. I find it hard to believe that Vitorino would come back for just one issue. I think we are stuck with Cliquet until #33 when Morales takes over. His sketches look pretty interesting, but will have to wait for the finished product. I dont know. I may skip Green Hornet until Cliquet is gone and re-visit when Morales comes on board. I just cant stomach more Cliquet.
    Last edited by Britt68; 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DynoMighty One View Post
      Hi all
      Am I the only one who thinks we have pretty much never seen Britt act as the enforcer for a crime boss, which is what the Green Hornet was created to be right? Aren't we getting a bit too far away from the core of the character? I think having Britt rail against the Hornet through his newspaper by day and be a 'criminal' by night would make for much better stories possibilities...no?
      I think Britt tried to play the enforcer/bad guy/mob boss. The whole original Chrittendon story line followed that. Even the beginning of the Red Hand story line was rooted in the Hornet trying to break up a prostitution ring that was infringing on his "territory". I sense that with the rise of a new Hornet in 32, MAYBE Nitz is giving Britt a break and then set up an arc where Britt and Kato confront the new Hornet. We will see. The solicitations make it sound like there will be devestating consequences in the "arms race" arc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
        I dont put a lot of stock on the solicitations when it comes to credits or release dates. The solicitations for 25 to 28 all listed Vitorino as the artist and it turned out to be Cliquet. I find it hard to believe that Vitorino would come back for just one issue. I think we are stuck with Cliquet until #33 when Morales takes over. His sketches look pretty interesting, but will have to wait for the finished product. I dont know.
        Clearly the series is running WAY behind schedule. They've solicited 7 issues ahead? That just isn't right. It should be about 3 issues ahead. It's possible Vittorino was way behind schedule and thus was let go, and Cliquet had to play catch up (makes sense, as the four issues you mention are just about how far the series is behind where it should be; we should be up to issue #31 by now). That would explain the mis-solicitation. Haven't made up my mind about Morales either. I'll wait to see the actual finished comic and give it a few issues before deciding.
        Last edited by positronic; 09-03-2012, 01:11 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Although I am not certain about Morales' style, I would be happy to see Morales come in earlier so we can see what he has. It seems like there are a couple of one shots before the next arc. It would be nice for Morales to start that arc so have one artist consistently through the whole arc. The Outcast arc was hurt by alternating artists and then changing artists.

Comment

Although I am not certain about Morales' style, I would be happy to see Morales come in earlier so we can see what he has. It seems like there are a couple of one shots before the next arc. It would be nice for Morales to start that arc so have one artist consistently through the whole arc. The Outcast arc was hurt by alternating artists and then changing artists.
            I think only #28 is a one-shot story, followed by the 4-part "Arms Race" arc by Cliquet. Morales does begin a new arc (let's call it "The New Green Hornet" for a convenient title) with #33 & 34. Yeah, I know you'd like to skip ahead, but since you're skipping the Cliquet issues it's functionally the same. Only, you have to wait so the rest of us can read the "Arms Race" arc.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• It was indeed my intention that Britt stop pretending to be a bad guy at the end of "Outcast". I guess I should have stated it more clearly, but I was planning on following up. I thought the "... it needs a Green Hornet that's clean." line might be enough.

Anyway, that shift was part of my plots for the next arc. I don't know how much Jai intends to follow through. It's his baby now!

And, whoever pointed out my changing roll is correct. I did not actually write any issues after #27.

Thanks all for the kind words on the issue and the job I did on this book in general. I had fun. Please consider checking out Lone Ranger and the Witchblade series I'm doing now.

Best,
              Anj

Comment

• Originally posted by Ande Parks View Post
                It was indeed my intention that Britt stop pretending to be a bad guy at the end of "Outcast". I guess I should have stated it more clearly, but I was planning on following up. I thought the "... it needs a Green Hornet that's clean." line might be enough.

Anyway, that shift was part of my plots for the next arc. I don't know how much Jai intends to follow through. It's his baby now!

And, whoever pointed out my changing roll is correct. I did not actually write any issues after #27.

Thanks all for the kind words on the issue and the job I did on this book in general. I had fun. Please consider checking out Lone Ranger and the Witchblade series I'm doing now.

Best,
                Anj
                Thanks for a great run and a lot of fun!

Comment

• Green Hornet #28 ships next Wednesday, September 12!

Maybe they'll slowly catch up to where they should be...

Comment

Although I am not certain about Morales' style, I would be happy to see Morales come in earlier so we can see what he has. It seems like there are a couple of one shots before the next arc. It would be nice for Morales to start that arc so have one artist consistently through the whole arc. The Outcast arc was hurt by alternating artists and then changing artists.
                    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=13552

Looks like you got your wish after all. I'm not gonna rush to judgment based on a 5-page preview, but let's just say this little peek isn't giving me any warm fuzzy feelings for the future of the book. Bad as you seemed to think Cliquet was, I'm not sure this qualifies as any sort of improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                      http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=13552

Looks like you got your wish after all. I'm not gonna rush to judgment based on a 5-page preview, but let's just say this little peek isn't giving me any warm fuzzy feelings for the future of the book. Bad as you seemed to think Cliquet was, I'm not sure this qualifies as any sort of improvement.
                      My wish was for improved art.

I just saw the preview. I agree that we need to see the whole issue to get a better sense, but it did not knock my socks, either. From what I see, I dont think Morales is any worse than Cliquet, but what the title needs is an upgrade in art. Time will tell. I will check out the issue and give Morales a few issues to prove himself (as I did with Cliquet).

That said, I am intrigued by the storyline.

Comment

My wish was for improved art.

I just saw the preview. I agree that we need to see the whole issue to get a better sense, but it did not knock my socks, either. From what I see, I dont think Morales is any worse than Cliquet, but what the title needs is an upgrade in art. Time will tell. I will check out the issue and give Morales a few issues to prove himself (as I did with Cliquet).

That said, I am intrigued by the storyline.
                        I don't plan to drop the book in a hurry, either. I agree that I'll give it a few issues before making any drastic decisions. Not happy with the seemingly comedic situation being set up here in the preview, and hopefully that doesn't reflect on the overall tone of the upcoming arc.

Comment

• Green Hornet #28

Well, Green Hornet #28 came out today. Wish I could say that with enthusisam, but in all honesty I'm left with a sense of of foreboding. The script has taken a rather drastic turn to the comedic, especially as contrasted against the dire events of the previous arc. This is Part One of the Arms Race arc, and introduces the new creative team of Jai Nitz (script) and Jethro Morales (art).

I can only assume this slightly campy approach is the doing of scripter Nitz, and I can't say I'm liking it. The art... well, I guess it manages to tell the story clearly enough without ambiguity. One thing though, Mr. Morales really ought to purchase a fedora (or at least Google some images of one on the web). The man can't draw a realistic hat to save his life, which is a serious drawback to anyone hoping to become the regular artist on Green Hornet.

I'm a little nonplussed, and uncharacteristically have nothing more to say.
                          Last edited by positronic; 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• It was a completely forgettable issue. It says something when NEITHER of the covers drawn for it have any connection to what actually went on in the story.

Comment

• A little late, here...

But bear with me...I haven't been able to pick up my comics in a good, long while so I'm JUST getting around to reading GH issues 24-28.

While I prefer my GH stories set in the 30's (GH: YEAR ONE was an absolute masterpiece), I've been following this title from the beginning as I am an enormous fan of the character.

I've generally enjoyed what Mr. Parks has been giving us but I have one rather major complaint about what occurred between issues 24 and 25, art-wise:

In issue 24 (with artist Igor Vitorino), Kato is cornered by Detective Chritton (their one ally on the force who has, however, recently been blackmailed into turning sides). She (yes, SHE. This Kato is the daughter of the second Kato, granddaughter of the first) is not in costume (which is okay because Chritton knows their identities). Chritton is portrayed as a clean shaven thin man in his late thirties/early forties. End of issue. To be continued.

Issue 25 (with artist Ronan Cliquet) opens on the same scene only THIS time Kato is in her full costume with mask and hat and Detective Chritton is a heavy man in his late forties/early fifties and with a mustache.

That kind of discrepancy is inexcusable. YES, the issues were drawn by two different artists and, yes, both artists are quite talented, but, for God's sake, you mean to tell me, in THIS technological day and age, that people can't e-mail each other? That an artist can't do a little research as to what a character looks like? Do you HAVE an editor?

Shameful.

Comment

• New to the forum. Big fan of your titles...

Hello!

Big fan of your 'pulp' titles (GREEN HORNET, ZORRO, LONE RANGER, THE SHADOW) but I've not really posted on the forum until now and I just wanted to throw some opinions out there:

THE SHADOW: Awesome. Probably THE best comic iteration of the character (my favorite, for good or ill, will ALWAYS be the Andrew Helfer/Kyle Baker run from DC simply for its sheer and utter madness and audacity) but Mr's Ennis and Campbell's version is dead on and I look forward to the new ark and creative team.

ZORRO/ZORRO RIDES AGAIN: Lovely. John K. Snyder III's addition to the team has been wonderful. What are the future plans after this volume comes to a close? I'd have to have to go without my monthly(ish) Zorro fix.

LONE RANGER: Again: Wonderful. The transition from volumes 1 to 2 has been nearly seamless and SNAKE OF IRON has, so far, been great as well.

I would love to see some kind of definitive timeline, however, for ZORRO and LONE RANGER. Seems to me that the DEATH OF ZORRO storyline (which I did enjoy, keep in mind) could not have occurred. Using their literary adventures as a guideline, Don Diego was born around 1782 and John Reid around 1850 making them SIXTY-EIGHT years apart. John Reid first puts on the mask in 1874 which would make Don Diego about 92. I'm supposing the answer is "we aren't using that timeline" which, I suppose, is acceptable.

That brings me to GREEN HORNET. Most of the titles I find enjoyable, but I admit to be utterly confused as to what the timeline is...

GREEN HORNET: YEAR ONE and KATO: YEAR ONE: Wonderful stories. I prefer my Hornet to be set in the thirties so this was right up my alley. I'd love to see more tales of this version of the Hornet and Kato.

GREEN HORNET STRIKES: I've enjoyed it, so far. Like many, I'm sure, I'm anxiously awaiting the finale.

GREEN HORNET (regular series or, I suppose, 'Kevin Smith's): Not bad. I'd like more. not sure WHAT I'd like more OF, but something leaves me a little...meh...Perhaps it's because I'm still in the midst of the tired old 'Someone has stolen the hero's identity in an effort to set him up etc. etc.' storyline. I'm still a fan and will continue to read, of course. But I'm just...waiting.

Kevin Smith's KATO: Only title I dropped before it was complete. Wasn't a fan. At ALL.

BLOODLINES: I'll have to go back and read it again because I remember finding the action somewhat jumbled.

PARALLEL LIVES/AFTERMATH: I liked these ones. I was surprised that I enjoyed the film as much as I did as I'm kind of a purist when it comes to certain characters, but I did. I liked the humor added and it carried over into these titles. Next to YEAR ONE, AFTERMATH had my favorite artwork of the titles.

SO...continuity-wise.

I'm assuming the 'Kevin Smithiverse' of the regular series, KS's KATO, and BLOODLINES is in one 'universe' while YEAR ONE and KATO:YO is in another and PARALLEL and AFTERMATH are in yet another (based on the film).

Where does STRIKES fit in?

Anyway..I've rambled on long enough. Keep up the great work!

Mikey Wood
                                www.shortboxpodcast.com

Comment

Working...
                                X