The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    Waid splitting them up had a okay I did it and now it's over feel. You knew they would get back together this felt more like a teaser and had a been there done that feel. It was so short it was pointless unless he was setting up the groundwork for something in the near future (which I doubt).
    It did seem pointless unless it was just a prelude to a more serious split. Oddly enough, the most recent issue of Waid's Green Hornet seemed to indicate Kato might still have some lingering doubts about Britt, so who knows if it might not be a case of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I actually hope it is, since the first breakup seems like such a clumsy underdeveloped attempt at a plot twist that it's a little hard believe of a seasoned pro like Waid.

Comment

• Green Hornet Legacy #42

"Good" or "Bad" implies that they gave it 100% and it either hit or missed. Similarly, "Phoned in" implies that they went formulaic over creative. But this... This took uninspired to a new level. I read this issue and didn't even read the rest of my pull. I was that bummed out. It actually made me question whether reading comics is the best use of my time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beezer View Post
        "Good" or "Bad" implies that they gave it 100% and it either hit or missed. Similarly, "Phoned in" implies that they went formulaic over creative. But this... This took uninspired to a new level. I read this issue and didn't even read the rest of my pull. I was that bummed out. It actually made me question whether reading comics is the best use of my time.
        As reviews go, this isn't a very good one.

Doesn't it seems as though someone told Jai Nitz "Here's the Hornet book, do whatever the hell you want with it, so long as its SOMETHING." and Nitz didn't know it was coming? It has that "throw a bunch of crap at the wall and see if anything sticks" feel.

"Let's see, what's hot right now...Zombies! I'll do zombies!"

I'm a couple of issues behind, but I keep thinking back to how odd it was that suddenly Kato senior was the father of some fat kid living in a trailer park. Then all of a sudden...nothing more said about that (that I know of).

"I know what would be cool! A Green Hornet ARMOR!"

I don't know...

Comment

• Ha, I'd forgotten that ol' Kato slummed it up in the trailer park. A guest appearance by Julian and Ricky would have saved the series.

Comment

• Well...it's over.

To quote TS Eliot:

This is the way the world ends
            Not with a bang but a whimper

Comment

• This is the true definition of a "mercy killing"!!!

Comment

• Nice to know I didn't miss anything after quitting the book with issue #36. It's hard to believe, but Jai Nitz wrote the book (#28, 32-42) longer than either Kevin Smith or Phil Hester did; longer than anyone else except Ande Park. At some point I may go back and re-read #1-27. In retrospect, the book started losing me with the "Arms Race" arc. Didn't care much for Gravilov as a character.

Comment

• the book really went to some crazy places. though the quality dropped i certainly hope this isn't the last we've seen of this version of Green Hornet and Kato.

Comment

• Green Hornet #7 (Amazing!)

This book continues to be amazing! This issue has to be one of the best I have ever read (and I've been reading for 25 years!)
                    Not very often do I read an issue that surprizes me, but this issue had surprizes in every friggin' scene! I never saw them coming! Waid is clearly writing the best stuff of his career here. I can't wait for issues 8-12 and am really sad to see him go after that. I'll be re-reading this run for many years to come! As far as the art - Friere's illustrations are awesome! If you're not reading this book - you need to be! Best book on the market! (IMHO)

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                      This book continues to be amazing! This issue has to be one of the best I have ever read (and I've been reading for 25 years!)
                      Not very often do I read an issue that surprizes me, but this issue had surprizes in every friggin' scene! I never saw them coming! Waid is clearly writing the best stuff of his career here. I can't wait for issues 8-12 and am really sad to see him go after that. I'll be re-reading this run for many years to come! As far as the art - Friere's illustrations are awesome! If you're not reading this book - you need to be! Best book on the market! (IMHO)
                      Not that I didn't find this issue just as enjoyable (which is to say, very) as the previous 6 issues, but I'm not sure what "surprizes" you're referring to. I have a guess as to what the main one might be, but also my own reasons why I wouldn't find the same thing (if it's what I'm thinking of) surprising, but I can't really say without huge spoilers for people who haven't read it yet. In fact, the solicitation copy for issues 9 and 10 already contain some major spoilers.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                        I'm not sure what "surprizes" you're referring to. I have a guess as to what the main one might be, but also my own reasons why I wouldn't find the same thing (if it's what I'm thinking of) surprising
                        ******SPOILERS BELOW*******
                        1) Britt reveals he is the green hornet to Lenore Case (didn't see that coming)
                        2) Britt recruits Lenore to work for him/green hornet
                        3) Maynard & White get their friggin' heads blown off! (didn't see that coming)
                        4) Fulton's kidnap by the green hornet (didn't think it was the hornet who took him)
                        5) Mastermind villian a nazi (not really a surprise, but cool none the less)
                        GREAT STUFF!

Comment

******SPOILERS BELOW*******
                          1) Britt reveals he is the green hornet to Lenore Case (didn't see that coming)
                          2) Britt recruits Lenore to work for him/green hornet
                          3) Maynard & White get their friggin' heads blown off! (didn't see that coming)
                          4) Fulton's kidnap by the green hornet (didn't think it was the hornet who took him)
                          5) Mastermind villian a nazi (not really a surprise, but cool none the less)
                          GREAT STUFF!
                          #1 & 2 happened in the radio series (not in the same way, but it was a new spin on the basic idea), which is why it wasn't surprising to me. I pretty much guessed it as soon as Britt starting talking about recruiting someone else who (as Kato put it) would be "in on the joke". Then again, while there was never really any romantic angle between Reid and "Miss Case" (he never called her anything but) in the radio show, the Now Comics series had the 1940s Britt Reid married to Lenore Case. #5 was already foreshadowed by comments in dialogue in previous issues. Didn't particularly see #3 coming, but given the reveal of #5, it wasn't like the characters were so well-established in the series that their deaths were shocking. Pretty much within the realm of the not-unexpected when dealing with Nazis, I guess. #4 I think was just another example of the Hornet going to new extremes, which is what the whole series seems to be about. Of course, being that we are just past the halfway point, I presume we will get to see all these things come back to bite Britt Reid in the ass.

Maybe it is just me reacting to all these plot points in a "thinky" way instead of a "visceral/emotional" way. I keep trying to figure which way Waid is going with these things, and how the various individual plot pieces fit into the overall "Citizen Kane" parallel (which should presumably be complete with Waid's last issue). Sometimes Waid doesn't play things out as much as it would seem he has the ability to do (the Britt/Kato rift, the whole being wrong about a suspected villain's identity thing, his compromising of an honest cop, Britt's running for public office, etc.). Waid sure is zigging and zagging and hitting a lot of things quickly and then moving on to other things, trying to cram a bunch of different examples of the Hornet overreaching (he is starting to veer into the territory of a guy with too much power and too few checks-and-balances, or too much hubris). There may be echoes or reverberations of these things still ahead that have yet to manifest themselves in the overall story arc.

Actually, you didn't mention what I consider the biggest real surprise of this issue, which was Britt putting himself and Kato in the crosshairs of J. Edgar Hoover. It's one thing to fool the police, it's another thing to purposely attract the scrutiny of the G-men. Now there was a beat where I thought "What the hell can he be thinking?" (actually not sure if I was wondering about Reid or Waid, there, probably a little of both) -- I guess we'll find out.

Still enormously enjoying the ride (speaking of which, next issue is all about "the ride" [Black Beauty], which seems like a weird digression), but perhaps on a completely different wavelength than you are.

I feel like I have to go back and re-read the whole series so far again.
                          Last edited by pulphero; 11-12-2013, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            #1 & 2 happened in the radio series (not in the same way, but it was a new spin on the basic idea), which is why it wasn't surprising to me.
                            That happened around 1948 and the radio series started in 1936. So it was quite a long time before it happened. I didn't expect it in issue #7. Maybe it wouldn't have surprised me if this was an issue #25

the Now Comics series had the 1940s Britt Reid married to Lenore Case.
                            Actually it was Ruth Hopkins. Lenore Case married Britt II (60's GH)

Didn't particularly see #3 coming, but given the reveal of #5, it wasn't like the characters were so well-established in the series that their deaths were shocking.
                            I think we all have expectations whenever we first read a comic. I never expected to see White get his head shot off in this issue. Again, maybe in a later issue. but not at this point.

Sometimes Waid doesn't play things out as much as it would seem he has the ability to do (the Britt/Kato rift, the whole being wrong about a suspected villain's identity thing, his compromising of an honest cop, Britt's running for public office, etc.). Waid sure is zigging and zagging and hitting a lot of things quickly and then moving on to other things, trying to cram a bunch of different examples of the Hornet overreaching (he is starting to veer into the territory of a guy with too much power and too few checks-and-balances, or too much hubris). There may be echoes or reverberations of these things still ahead that have yet to manifest themselves in the overall story arc.
                            I think Waid is doing a great job of moving this along. Britt said Kato was away for 6 weeks. I'm not interested in 3 or 4 issues of Britt running for mayor and going around roughing up bad guys. There are way too many comics that take 6-8 issues to tell a 4 issue story line! Thankfully Waid isn't doing that here!

Actually, you didn't mention what I consider the biggest real surprise of this issue, which was Britt putting himself and Kato in the crosshairs of J. Edgar Hoover. It's one thing to fool the police, it's another thing to purposely attract the scrutiny of the G-men.
                            That one didn't bother me. Britt is trying to elevate the reputation of GH as high as he can.

Still enormously enjoying the ride (speaking of which, next issue is all about "the ride" [Black Beauty], which seems like a weird digression), but perhaps on a completely different wavelength than you are.
                            I don't pay attention to the next issue blurbs, they seem to be wrong many times. Like I said before, there are certain things I expect to happen within an issue. This one gave me waaaaay more than I expected. I'm glad you're enjoying the book even if it's not as much as I am!

Comment

That happened around 1948 and the radio series started in 1936. So it was quite a long time before it happened. I didn't expect it in issue #7. Maybe it wouldn't have surprised me if this was an issue #25
                              Clearly from the beginning of DE's Green Hornet Year One, the comics haven't been beholden to the timeline of events established in the radio series. This is another example of Waid "moving this along" as you put it, or hitting a lot of different story beats and then moving on to other things.

Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                              Actually it was Ruth Hopkins. Lenore Case married Britt II (60's GH)
                              Ah yes, I had momentarily forgotten that NOW renamed "the secretary" character in the 1940s "Ruth Hopkins", in order to sort out the supporting cast of the radio series from the 1960s TV series. But essentially it's the same character.

I think we all have expectations whenever we first read a comic. I never expected to see White get his head shot off in this issue. Again, maybe in a later issue. but not at this point.
                              Another example of Waid "moving this along". In retrospect, we didn't know for certain until just recently that Waid's story arc is 12 issues.

I think Waid is doing a great job of moving this along. Britt said Kato was away for 6 weeks. I'm not interested in 3 or 4 issues of Britt running for mayor and going around roughing up bad guys. There are way too many comics that take 6-8 issues to tell a 4 issue story line! Thankfully Waid isn't doing that here!
                              There is enough plot here (mentally projecting the second half here) for twice the number of issues. Things do seem to be barreling along at a breakneck pace. I haven't seen dates in evidence in the last couple of issues, so other than the fact that it's obviously still during WWII, it's sometimes hard to judge how much actual time has passed in the story.

That one didn't bother me. Britt is trying to elevate the reputation of GH as high as he can.
                              Seems extremely stupid on the face of it, though, to purposely attract the attention of the feds. Particularly in light of the fact that he's just made Lenore Case into an accomplice. Now, you might say he's not really guilty of any crimes, so what does he have to worry about, even if the FBI should nail him? Perhaps this would allow him entree into the federal government as a sanctioned special covert agent? The Hornet IS a criminal, he IS breaking laws (Breaking & Entering is a crime; he does it routinely as the Hornet). If the Hornet was a policeman, a lot of what he does would be called "Entrapment", "Illegal Seizure", "Forced Confession/Under Duress", etc. That's why the police need warrants. So it's unlikely that the government could actually sanction him to go about his business-as-usual in an official capacity. Problem is, any FBI bust of the Green Hornet (before the truth came out) would likely be very messy and very public, and also there's the minor danger of getting killed. These G-men are good, and they don't mess around.

I don't pay attention to the next issue blurbs, they seem to be wrong many times. Like I said before, there are certain things I expect to happen within an issue. This one gave me waaaaay more than I expected. I'm glad you're enjoying the book even if it's not as much as I am!
                              I wouldn't say "not as much". Like I said, different wavelength.

Comment

• Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
                                though the quality dropped i certainly hope this isn't the last we've seen of this version of Green Hornet and Kato.
                                The quality really fell out of the bottom of this title. This issue seemed really short, like everyone said "let's just get this over." It wasn't just because it seemed like so few pages, there was so little dialogue and content on each page.

On the positive side, the main characters seem intact and we got rid of all of these silly extra heroes, zombies and goofy plots. So maybe we will see this title in the future. I would't mind seeing Phil Hester come back and write a couple of arcs.

I never have seen a title start out so great, stay great with new writers and the collapse as fast as this one did.

Comment

Working...
                                X