The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
    This storyline is speeding up. Dugan is out of control. Cant figure out how this is going to wrap up.

Was great to see Casey join the team. That could have led to all kinds of other storylines.

Just a shame this is ending in one issue.
    Actually, the series is going for thirteen issues, not just twelve.

http://www.dynamite.com/boards/showt...2227#post32227

Comment

• Unfortunately this title is ending because of low sales. Mark Waid said in an interview that he feels he is not done with the character yet. That tells me he has more storylines in mind for the Hornet, and would have stayed on the book if Dynamite didn't cancel it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
        Unfortunately this title is ending because of low sales. Mark Waid said in an interview that he feels he is not done with the character yet. That tells me he has more storylines in mind for the Hornet, and would have stayed on the book if Dynamite didn't cancel it.
        Did he give any indication why the book was so delayed with some issues?

Comment

• I'd love to see a 'team-up' of the Green Hornet and the Lone Ranger. If it was set in the 30's/40's the events could sparke memories of a story Britt's father told him about when he rode with the Lone Ranger. And the story would be important to solveing the plot in the Green Horent's time.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Thought people might appriciate this pic. It's the casts of the Lone Ranger, Green Hornet and Challenge of the Yukon. Note the mask the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet are wearing.
            Attached Files
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Had a look at the Previews catalog and the solicitations for June. JUSTICE INC. is a 6-issue miniseries. I wish it could go on longer, but Michael Uslan isn't a full-time comics writer, so I guess I'll take what I can get. It's seeming even more unlikely to me that there will be any room here for cameo/walk-on roles for any other pulp characters. There's just about enough space to squeeze in a few pages in each issue featuring the assistants/agents, so depending on whether they're depicted in groups or individually, that could be as few as half-a-dozen panels per assistant/agent.

And there's time travel involved, plus the villains.

Looking over the rest of DE's solicitations, I see titles like Bob's Burgers, Devilers, Chaos, Chastity, Splinter Cell, Jennifer Blood, Blood Queen, Pathfinder, Dresden Files, and Doodle Jump. These are taking up a major chunk of DE's publishing efforts, and I would consider these outside the wheelhouse of what I'd call Dynamite's traditional source material: licensed movie/tv/nostalgia-based (including pulp and older comics characters).

True, they've always published SOME of that former stuff, but it seems that category is growing while the licensed movie/tv/nostalgia/pulp-based stuff is shrinking. (Bob's Burgers is TV, but not an older show, so no nostalgia there). I suppose Chaos and Chastity *could* be seen as 'comics nostalgia' for the 1990s. I consider the Chaos stuff as the poster child for the worst sort of dreck the '90s produced, but it seems that DE is dedicated to pushing these characters, since they purchased them outright. Some of the other things I listed are licensed, but they're more 'contemporary' things. As the company shifts gradually away from the licensed/nostalgia properties my perception of Dynamite as a company gradually changes to "less than user friendly" (for me personally). I count a total of THREE titles this month that fit into the 'pulp' category (Justice Inc., The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, and Lady Zorro). Four if you count Dejah of Mars' final issue. And I can bet there are DE readers reading this that wouldn't be willing to count 'pulp westerns' as 'pulp'. Let's be generous and grant both Lady Zorro and Dejah of Mars at least 1/2 pulp status each, so between them and the other two pulp titles we have three.

I can't say this looks very promising for the future of 'pulp' at DE. A trickle at best (even if the select titles ARE really good ones). 3 pulp titles may not sound bad to some people. It seems to me it wasn't too long ago that we had at least twice as many. And they're all miniseries, so no guarantee that when one ends, it will immediately be replaced the next month by a different pulp miniseries. At least one ERB title per month seems guaranteed, but I don't know about the rest. Where the King Features characters go after Flash Gordon is anyone's guess, but that's not even really pulp, more like "next door neighbor to pulp", or straddling the gap between pulp characters and other comic character revivals like the Gold Key stuff and Captain Victory.
              Last edited by pulphero; 06-02-2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                . . . As the company shifts gradually away from the licensed/nostalgia properties my perception of Dynamite as a company gradually changes to "less than user friendly" (for me personally). I count a total of THREE titles this month that fit into the 'pulp' category (Justice Inc., The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, and Lady Zorro). Four if you count Dejah of Mars' final issue. And I can bet there are DE readers reading this that wouldn't be willing to count 'pulp westerns' as 'pulp'. Let's be generous and grant both Lady Zorro and Dejah of Mars at least 1/2 pulp status each, so between them and the other two pulp titles we have three . . .
                I'm not even planning to buy the Chaykin Shadow series . . . I wasn't all that thrilled with what he did for / to The Shadow at DC, and I hated how he turned their Blackhawk into a World War II Reuben Flagg clone (though the Martin Pasco-written series based on that revamp were quite good).

So once Justice Inc. is done, I'm not sure if there'll be any Dynamite titles that appeal to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                  I hated how he turned their Blackhawk into a World War II Reuben Flagg clone (though the Martin Pasco-written series based on that revamp were quite good).
                  Pasko's BLACKHAWK was OK. I much preferred the Mark Evanier/Dan Spiegle series set in WWII, though.

I always thought that that late-1970s update of Blackhawk (the short-lived one killed by the DC Implosion) had potential, even though the execution was a little rough, too.

To this day it amazes me that DC didn't give the Blackhawks a shot as a contemporary group back in the 80s when G.I JOE was briefly a hot title. Keep the idea of an international freelance paramilitary force, and the common blue-black uniforms with hawk's head symbol, but give each of the members a distinct military specialty in addition to them all being ace pilots. Give them some unusual planes as their signature birds (I had in mind the swing-wing VTOL Osprey, or the A-10 Thunderbolt), and make team leader "Blackhawk" a codename for a man of mystery whose past identity has been erased. It's still a war title, but a contemporary one. Keep the team clear of ethically-dubious mercenary actions, and reference contemporary global political situations, aiming for a slightly older reader than the action/adventure oriented G.I. JOE.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Pasko's BLACKHAWK was OK. I much preferred the Mark Evanier/Dan Spiegle series set in WWII, though.

I always thought that that late-1970s update of Blackhawk (the short-lived one killed by the DC Implosion) had potential, even though the execution was a little rough, too.

To this day it amazes me that DC didn't give the Blackhawks a shot as a contemporary group back in the 80s when G.I JOE was briefly a hot title. Keep the idea of an international freelance paramilitary force, and the common blue-black uniforms with hawk's head symbol, but give each of the members a distinct military specialty in addition to them all being ace pilots. Give them some unusual planes as their signature birds (I had in mind the swing-wing VTOL Osprey, or the A-10 Thunderbolt), and make team leader "Blackhawk" a codename for a man of mystery whose past identity has been erased. It's still a war title, but a contemporary one. Keep the team clear of ethically-dubious mercenary actions, and reference contemporary global political situations, aiming for a slightly older reader than the action/adventure oriented G.I. JOE.
                    G.I. Joe had the toy line and cartoons to tie into; as it's own separate entity, I'm not sure how popular it would have been.

DC had the Evanier / Spiegel series running in 1982 - 1984; Chaykin relaunched the franchise in 1988, and then DC based a regular series of of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                      G.I. Joe had the toy line and cartoons to tie into; as it's own separate entity, I'm not sure how popular it would have been.

DC had the Evanier / Spiegel series running in 1982 - 1984; Chaykin relaunched the franchise in 1988, and then DC based a regular series of of that.
                      It's kind of a shame, but any war genre title (into which G.I. JOE didn't quite fit) has been a tough sell in the comic book marketplace ever since the genre's sales began seriously slipping in the early '70s. It's still a genre rife with potential when done well though, because a great deal of dramatic situations present themselves in the theater of war.

The innovation that I thought was unique to G.I JOE that could have been introduced into a more traditional war genre book was both the contemporary setting and the idea of making each member of the cast memorable by virtue of details related to their military specialty. I simply saw a re-imagining of the Blackhawks as the best vehicle for injecting those aspects into a title in a moribund genre. There was also a bit of the thinking that went into the creation of the 1970s version of the X-Men there, in that the war genre wasn't as reviled internationally and would possibly have served as a good export product with a multinational cast.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 06-02-2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• This is a blog I visit about once a week or two. The premise will be obvious pretty quickly to those who are not familiar with it. The gentleman who runs it does a good job of coming up with intriguing team-ups, including this Hornet one.

http://braveandboldlost.blogspot.ca/...en-hornet.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                          This is a blog I visit about once a week or two. The premise will be obvious pretty quickly to those who are not familiar with it. The gentleman who runs it does a good job of coming up with intriguing team-ups, including this Hornet one.

A couple of cool ones . . . one from this year

and one from last year

(http://braveandboldlost.blogspot.com...ick-tracy.html)

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                            This is a blog I visit about once a week or two. The premise will be obvious pretty quickly to those who are not familiar with it. The gentleman who runs it does a good job of coming up with intriguing team-ups, including this Hornet one.

I've surfed over there a few times in the past, but I wasn't aware it was an ongoing thing, with new material being added on a regular basis. Have to bookmark it now. Thanks!
                            Last edited by pulphero; 06-05-2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

I've surfed over there a few times in the past, but I wasn't aware it was an ongoing thing, with new material being added on a regular basis. Have to bookmark it now. Thanks!
                              The number of updates (daily?) is staggering. Dude makes it look so easy!

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
                                Unfortunately this title is ending because of low sales. Mark Waid said in an interview that he feels he is not done with the character yet. That tells me he has more storylines in mind for the Hornet, and would have stayed on the book if Dynamite didn't cancel it.
                                I went to a comic book shop today that I sometimes go to when I'm out that way and hoped I could get Green Hornet #13.

But I didn't see it on the racks of new books for this week. When I asked, I was told the owner of the shop had gotten to the point of just ordering as many copies as people had pre-ordered because it wasn't selling very well.

I'll have to get a copy when I go to a different store next week, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X