The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I went to a comic book shop today that I sometimes go to when I'm out that way and hoped I could get Green Hornet #13.

But I didn't see it on the racks of new books for this week. When I asked, I was told the owner of the shop had gotten to the point of just ordering as many copies as people had pre-ordered because it wasn't selling very well.
    It has been selling around 4000/month. My LCS has started doing the same thing with ordering low selling series. I had pre-ordered it so I got to read it. I loved this series & Waid's writing but this issue was underwhelming. It definitely felt like Waid had more stories to tell & had to wrap things up too early.

Comment

• Issue #13 was solid, felt a tad rushed, but it was solid. Hopefully more GH is slated for the near future, especially if it's written and drawn like this fantastic series was.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by md62 View Post
        It has been selling around 4000/month.
        Anybody know how that compares with modern-day Green Hornet Legacy when it's run ended?

Comment

• SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Wow, what a way to end a series. It seems like Casey just lost her mind (and here I thought she was supposed to be the level-headed, rational one of the team), and blackmailed Britt. Now we'll never get to find out what happens to her. That's a trial I'd like to see. Will lawyer (and future District Attorney) Frank Scanlon be able to get her off on a temporary insanity defense? Of course, with the real GREEN HORNET STILL AT LARGE, the police will accept her actions as copycat crimes, but then there are troubling questions left dangling regarding her motive, her relationship to Britt Reid, and the fact that she had in her possession the genuine Hornet gas gun and stinger (surely these weapons would not be easy to fake for an impostor). Seems like Scanlon would have difficulty explaining these things away, which would lead to more questions like, "If Lenore Case isn't the real Green Hornet, then who is?" and that line of questioning leads straight back to Britt.
          Last edited by pulphero; 06-26-2014, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• Off to My LCS for Capt. Midnight, Ghost & of course Green Hornet. Sad to see it end, it was a fun book.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
              Anybody know how that compares with modern-day Green Hornet Legacy when it's run ended?
              About the same.

Comment

• Great story and yeah it did feel more than a bit rushed. It does seem like he had more stories to tell. Hopefully we'll get a mini series or two (HINT!) that will follow this Hornet.
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• Now that I think about it, the bit with Lenore Case going off the deep end seems a little contrived, and not foreshadowed in any way by her previous behavior. It occurs to me that Mark Waid may originally have intended to tell a story in which the Hornet and Kato DID retire (due to all the unforeseen negative consequences of Britt's actions), and then changed his mind (due to the choice being forced upon him by falling sales) in a way that is kind of a cry for help from the readers to demand more GH stories from DE.

If this is indeed the end for the Green Hornet at DE, I wonder if an actual end to the Hornet's career wouldn't have made a more satisfactory ending to this series after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    Now that I think about it, the bit with Lenore Case going off the deep end seems a little contrived, and not foreshadowed in any way by her previous behavior. It occurs to me that Mark Waid may originally have intended to tell a story in which the Hornet and Kato DID retire (due to all the unforeseen negative consequences of Britt's actions), and then changed his mind (due to the choice being forced upon him by falling sales) in a way that is kind of a cry for help from the readers to demand more GH stories from DE.

If this is indeed the end for the Green Hornet at DE, I wonder if an actual end to the Hornet's career wouldn't have made a more satisfactory ending to this series after all.
                    I think you're right on Waid's intentions. If I had to guess he was going to have Casey step in but in not so dramatic a fashion or with such heavy consequences. The only forshasowing I can remember is how much she enjoyed being part of the team. I could see her becoming the Hornet to convince Britt to come back but not in so abruptly.

I hope you're wrong that this is the lst of GH at Dynamite, but you might be right. He fits nicely with their pulp/noir line but that seems to be quuickly vanishing. (sigh)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      I think you're right on Waid's intentions. If I had to guess he was going to have Casey step in but in not so dramatic a fashion or with such heavy consequences. The only forshasowing I can remember is how much she enjoyed being part of the team. I could see her becoming the Hornet to convince Britt to come back but not in so abruptly.

I hope you're wrong that this is the lst of GH at Dynamite, but you might be right. He fits nicely with their pulp/noir line but that seems to be quuickly vanishing. (sigh)
                      Thinking back to some of Waid's comments early on when the series first began, I remember he made reference to parallels to Citizen Kane (evidenced by the early framing device of looking backward from the present on the events of this series), and the theme of the Britt Reid being brought low by his own hubris. Looking back over the series as a whole, I don't see too many parallels to Kane, but that theme of hubris is definitely there in spades. I would theorize that Waid originally only committed to 12 issues of the series, and had in mind a sort of "Last Green Hornet Story", with a definite ending. While this has been done in comics many times before, it was always from the POV of some "possible future" (i.e. DC's "Imaginary Stories" or Marvel's "The End"), not the definitive deal.

I think what might have happened in the course of writing the book is that Waid discovered he liked writing the Green Hornet so much that he would have loved to continue, but as things were progressing in the last half of the original 12 issues, sales began dropping off, and he was told he'd need to wrap things up. But rather than go with his original plan of a last Green Hornet story, he decided to change things up in the last couple of issues and leave us with a cliffhanger ending of Miss Case arrested and facing jail time, perhaps in an attempt to provoke reader demand for the series to return.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 06-27-2014, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Thought I'd post a couple of photos of the radio cast.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Al Hodge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	48853

Name:	Raymond_Hayashi10.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	48854

Name:	Lenore_Allman11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	48855
                        Britt Reid, Kato and Miss. Case and Mike Axford.

Comment

• Wow what a great series. In my opinion, this was tied for Dynamite's best pulp comic so far (with shadow: year one and GH: year one). I loved the last issue, especially the last three pages. Let's roll, Kato.

My first post!

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            Now that I think about it, the bit with Lenore Case going off the deep end seems a little contrived, and not foreshadowed in any way by her previous behavior. It occurs to me that Mark Waid may originally have intended to tell a story in which the Hornet and Kato DID retire (due to all the unforeseen negative consequences of Britt's actions), and then changed his mind (due to the choice being forced upon him by falling sales) in a way that is kind of a cry for help from the readers to demand more GH stories from DE.

I agree. The last issue seemed a bit forced. We had a glimpse of Case enjoying the action of being a hero a couple of issues back, but this seems like a real leap. Even if GH and Kato retired, Dynamite could always invent a crisis to bring them back. I really wonder if Waid's intention was to have them retire and there were creative differences with Dynamite?

This is pure conjecture, but I wonder if this ending and fact Waid's Doctor Spektor only going for four issues are somehow connected. Both are great titles. I wonder if there was a disagreement on ending of GH and that spilled over into Spektor?

Comment

• Agreed. Casey seemed to go crazy without much warning.
                              Did anybody notice that GH was hit over the head with a telephone for the second time in this series? Maybe he has a weakness to telephones.

Comment

• As it happens, I've just been re-reading a few of the old NOW Comics Green Hornets. The very first issue of their (Volume 1) Green Hornet series by Ron Fortier told the interesting, self-contained story of the original Green Hornet called "My Last Case". Of course, it's by no means the same story as Waid began to tell, but there are some parallels. Fortier's story opened with an older, retired Britt Reid narrating the story, and so did Waid's. I believe this is exactly what Waid intended at the start, but he changed his mind sometime after three quarters of the series had been published.

Comment

Working...
                                X