Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justice Inc unites Shadow, Avenger, Doc, and more.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did he say what year it was set in?

I literally did not know Comic Shop News still existed--I have not seen it in years.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post

I literally did not know Comic Shop News still existed--I have not seen it in years.
      http://www.csnsider.com/

It may just be your retailer doesn't get copies . . . I don't know how much it may cost to the retailer, or if they have to order a certain number of books through Diamond or something.

Two shops I go to have it; a third doesn't seem to.

Comment

Didn't mention. Has to be 1939 or later. Solitication copy mentioned a time machine.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
          http://www.csnsider.com/

It may just be your retailer doesn't get copies . . . I don't know how much it may cost to the retailer, or if they have to order a certain number of books through Diamond or something.

Two shops I go to have it; a third doesn't seem to.
          No, the retailers pay for it, nothing to do with their order numbers. It has to be purchased in bundles of 100, I think.

Comment

Michael Uslan reveals more details about JUSTICE, INC.!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/...e-justice-inc/

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              Didn't mention. Has to be 1939 or later. Solitication copy mentioned a time machine.
              -----------------------------
              from interview:
              This story takes place partly in 2015 and partly in 1939.
              I'm not sure I'm too thrilled about that.

Comment

Aha, thank you! (Now I don't need to got o Bleeding Cool, which I avoid like the plague these days.)

... ack, now I'm curious, so perhaps I will make an exception this time.
                Last edited by ChastMastr; 06-07-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

OK, I guess i should have said "Has to take place in in 1939 and/or later." But you already read the words "time machine" in DE's solicitation copy for #1, right, so no big spoiler, right? And I'm guessing the part that takes place in the present comes directly from the movie treatment. It seems likely they'd want a movie that wasn't a complete period piece to draw a wider audience, so that part makes sense. It's no more offensive than what Chris Roberson is doing in DE's Doc Savage series, moving Doc forward in time the old fashioned way, is it? Is a time machine "too sci-fi", while a longevity formula (or the old suspended animation) is not? True, it probably wouldn't have been allowed during the original pulps' run (even in Doc Savage Magazine, the most science-fictional of the three), but then, neither would a "crossover story". But a time machine would have been preferable to that last Doc Savage pulp story where Doc screams and runs away, and the ending never clears up the ambiguity of what seemed to be a visit to Hell.

Hey, I go wherever the news is found, whether it's BC, Newsarama (ads are getting pretty annoying now, so I try to avoid), CBR, ComicVine, ComicAlliance, whatever. Not every site has the exact same stories, especially when it comes to interviews.

BC is OK if you avoid the forums. Those can be brutal. I take my chances. We all have our little hangups, I guess. With me it's Yahoo. Won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Comment

It sounds like this could be a modern story where people are discussing what happened back in the day which could be the setting for the story. I trust Uslan, he knows these characters well ans should deliver a fine story.

Comment

However they decide to do the story is fine just as long as it's good. I loved what this guy did with Dark Knights, that book was excellent, but I worry about his lack of ability to draw in new fans. Dynamite really needs to get a huge name to hop on these franchises and not rely of people who happen to love the genre, they're only going to limit themselves that way. They need a Grant Morrison or an Alan Moore or someone acclaimed to write a series for their pulp line, it could/would attract a broader audience.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Agreement

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                        However they decide to do the story is fine just as long as it's good. I loved what this guy did with Dark Knights, that book was excellent, but I worry about his lack of ability to draw in new fans. Dynamite really needs to get a huge name to hop on these franchises and not rely of people who happen to love the genre, they're only going to limit themselves that way. They need a Grant Morrison or an Alan Moore or someone acclaimed to write a series for their pulp line, it could/would attract a broader audience.
                        I agree. And to add to an acclaimed writer.... a couple of "knock-out" artists would not hurt.

I would love to see Alex Ross do a period piece with these three.!! Even if somebody acceptable did lay-outs... and someone would ink.

Comment

Brilliant!

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                          Hope it stays focused on just the 3 Street & Smith pulp heroes: The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Avenger. Seems to me that a lot of people complained that MASKS was too cramped to give all the characters in it enough 'screen time'. And let's not forget that each of the S&S Big 3 had his own cast of colleagues. I'd hate to see them totally ignored as if they didn't exist. Probably have to whittle the size of their usual parts in a story down, and reduce the numbers of the full supporting casts to just a couple per hero: Harry & Margo, Monk & Ham, Mac & Smitty.
                          Agree.

Last edited by Guicho; 06-20-2014, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Apparently it's just Monk and Margo as far as appearances by the supporting players go, according to an interview with Uslan.

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                              Dynamite really needs to get a huge name to hop on these franchises and not rely of people who happen to love the genre, they're only going to limit themselves that way. They need a Grant Morrison or an Alan Moore or someone acclaimed to write a series for their pulp line, it could/would attract a broader audience.
                              Well, there's two ways of looking at that. Yes, of course we'd all like to see the characters draw in some new readers, and for them to be successful at DE so that we can continue to enjoy their adventures. But I can't help but look at two (to me) widely divergent interpretations of The Shadow, one by Garth Ennis (big name) and one by Michael Uslan (not so big name), and compare them. In this case, the not-so-big name is the version of the character I really want to read. So if Grant Morrison (whose work I sometimes love, sometimes hate) is going to come in, bringing his fans with him, and totally reboot one of the pulp characters at DE, I'm going to say... pass.

I'm not sure I want to read something comparable to the Andy Helfer/Bill Sienkiewicz (not that they were big names) "interpretation" of The Shadow again, and that's the kind of creative freedom you've got to allow when courting a Big Name. I'm somewhat confounded by the fact that DE has chosen to reprint the Helfer/Sienkiewicz version in its The Shadow: Masters series of TPBs, rather than the more traditional version done by DC in the Denny O'Neil (and later Michael Uslan) Shadow series from the 1970s, or the Gerard Jones/Eduardo Barreto version from the 1980s The Shadow Strikes!
                              Last edited by pulphero; 06-20-2014, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Justice Inc. #1

Not a bad opening issue. A little confusing at times, but overall enjoyable. Probably about as good as the shadow/green hornet crossover.

Comment

Working...
                                X