Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justice Inc unites Shadow, Avenger, Doc, and more.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magno View Post
    I will buy the rest of the series (unfortunately) because of the writing and the Ross Covers. But it shouldn't be this way. The art should "capture" us and bring us along in the story.
    It gets an "F" from me.
    This baffles me. If you dislike it so much, then you realize that buying it tells Dynamite that you'd like more of the same, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      This baffles me. If you dislike it so much, then you realize that buying it tells Dynamite that you'd like more of the same, right?
      And to not buy those wonderful Ross covers leaves me without those wonderful Ross images....and the story's not too bad.

It was the same with Project Superpowers. I hated to look at the interiors but the Ross covers and the hope things would improve kept me from dropping an inferior title.

Look, if the artist would have just photocopied all the covers of the pulp Doc Savage.... and drew his face and head from those pulp covers... and said..."ok, this is how Doc Savage (and The Avenger) should look. I'll draw him like this." ....would have done it. It would have been bearable at least. Weak art really fails DE.

You liked it??

Comment

I really like this series so far. The art isn't bad, but the writing is the main reason I'm enjoying the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Magno View Post
          You liked it??
          Huh? What do you mean?

Comment

I disagree about the art -- I really like it and think it's better than a great deal of the stuff on the stands. There's a Neal Adams vibe to some of the figures, layouts and panels that's really striking. Not going to argue about it further than that, since taste really is a subjective thing.

The writing has left me cold, however. The young Doc Savage seems really out of character when compared to the pulps (or even the recent series). Thus far he hardly seems to be the sort of figure who would capture the world's attention, much less the respect of anyone important (scientists, statesmen, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
              Sorry, I did not think I was leaking a spoiler when it was posted on the January solicitations as such. Would it be too much a spoiler that Richard Benson becomes the Avenger by the end of this mini-series? Or, that the good guys in comic books will eventually win? I will be more careful in the future of my postings!
              Yeah, it SHOULDN'T have been in the solicitation copy... so bad on DE for putting it in. Especially since they kept in under wraps in the first few issues (one would think the writer probably did that on purpose). Double bad on you for blabbing the spoiler to everyone who didn't read the solicitation copy. Don't be a dink about it.
              Last edited by pulphero; 11-02-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                Yeah, it SHOULDN'T have been in the solicitation copy... so bad on DE for putting it in. Especially since they kept in under wraps in the first few issues (one would think the writer probably did that on purpose). Double bad on you for blabbing the spoiler to everyone who didn't read the solicitation copy. Don't be a dink about it.
                I did apologize to you. I respect your knowledge on these topics and enjoy your posts. My reaction was in dismay of the cliche comic-book plot devise that I expected better from Michael U.'s writings. It was my impulse to write up a post that I did not consider at the time a spoiler warning at the head of a posting was needed. As I said before, I will be more careful in the future. It is never my goal in any of my postings to get into or be goaded into an argument on boards as I think disagreements need to be civil on these boards. It is disappointing that in some other boards that some posters are permitted to bully others on the boards, thus driving posters away. My love of comics and these characters (particularly the efforts of DE in these matters) is extended in these boards, which is why I do post on these boards. My attempt at levity on my apology was apparently badly communicated. Again, I will be more careful about my postings.

Comment

OK, apology accepted. Seemed like you were being snide and sarcastic and not really contrite there, with the comment about the Avenger's origin. Technically, it's only a spoiler if you haven't read issue #3 (which I hadn't until last night), but I can hardly avoid reading any threads on Justice Inc. if you go putting your spoilers in the first hundred characters of your post where they're going to show up right at the top of "New Posts" whether I'm trying to avoid the thread or not. So at least put in a warning and a few lines of space, so people have the option to skip over before it hits them smack in the face.

Granted, if we were being challenged to a guessing game of which old Doc Savage foe might be likely to make a return appearance... well, we only know of ONE who ever did make a return appearance... so he's bound to head any list of likely candidates. But for all we know Uslan could have been inventing a new character. I prefer to find these things out in the story itself. Spoilers in solicitation copy have become increasingly common, so that my habit is to avoid reading those, on stories and titles that I REALLY care about. Most Marvel and DC stuff doesn't fall into that category for me. Pulp stuff definitely does.

I don't really blame Uslan too much, because he's stuck with a situation where he can't cater just to the hardcore Doc Savage fans. Sunlight is about the only villain SOME comic book readers are going to recognize. Some one-time-only Doc Savage villain like the Vanisher isn't going to get much of a reaction from most readers ("Who...?"), and going the opposite way, with an original villain, is going to be sort of like the reveal where when the big mystery masked menace is unmasked, it turns out to be someone no one ever heard of (Steve Ditko wanted the Green Goblin to turn out to be someone nobody knew, but Stan Lee nixed that idea). It's way more realistic and original that way, but somehow unsatisfying to a lot of readers. To contrast somewhat, Matt Wagner used an original villain, Zorn, in his SHADOW YEAR ONE story, but in some ways that's a bit of a letdown, to find out that it's someone you're completely unfamiliar with. I don't know what the solution to this is, to try to satisfy the average reader whose knowledge of the characters isn't very deep. Perhaps bringing back a one-time-only foe (as long as it was one of the really good ones) is better, but it's almost necessary to go into an extended flashback sequence recapping this guy's history, to give the character a little gravitas to the readers who haven't read that particular pulp novel.

Sure, Uslan can load up the story with "Easter eggs" for the cognoscenti, but they're like "hidden bonus features" that don't affect the average reader's enjoyment of the story. A line by the Shadow places this story about a month after the events of Uslan's previous DARK NIGHTS teamup. I found his little joke (in issue #3) about Doc's ancestor being a Vandal amusing; ditto for Benson's musing on forming a League or a Society in the interests of Justice, and the reference to the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne (although not quite sure which Batman of the DC multiverse that one would be). We also got an explanation for the disparity in the depiction of Doc's hairstyle between the pulp covers by Walter Baumhofer and the paperback covers by James Bama, with a nod to Baumhofer's inspiration of Clark Gable. In fact, the insider references were so densely packed here that I was surprised Uslan didn't manage a reference to Bama's model Steve Holland. I couldn't decide if the scene in #3 with Cranston and Mocquino was some sort of vague reference to Chaykin's Cranston from BLOOD AND JUDGMENT (which I'd just as soon have left out of any Shadow stories taking place in the '30s or '40s). I wonder if the brief scene with Pat and Margo was some sort of setup for the one-shot specials coming soon.

I have a few reservations regarding the character interactions. I doubt the Shadow would be so abrasive to no real purpose, and I know Doc Savage would never say something like "Boys... we... are... SCREWED!"

I don't understand the negativity regarding the artwork in JUSTICE INC. By my judgment, the artwork here by Giovanni Timpano is a big improvement over his work on the ongoing SHADOW title, and far superior to Dennis Calero's art in MASKS.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 11-03-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsf View Post
                    I disagree about the art -- I really like it and think it's better than a great deal of the stuff on the stands. There's a Neal Adams vibe to some of the figures, layouts and panels that's really striking. Not going to argue about it further than that, since taste really is a subjective thing.

The writing has left me cold, however. The young Doc Savage seems really out of character when compared to the pulps (or even the recent series). Thus far he hardly seems to be the sort of figure who would capture the world's attention, much less the respect of anyone important (scientists, statesmen, etc).

POSSIBLE SPOILERS if not read #3 yet:

I like the art in the series as well. Issue #3 had great artwork! Other than that cliched issue I have with two teamed up characters in a crossover facing a team up of two teamed up villains (particularly one that should be chopped into small bits last read), the story mixing in the Avenger's origin to the creation of the Justice, Inc. (now used to combine the forces of Doc Savage, the Shadow, and the Avenger into an organization) has been good.

My question in #3: How long were they at the temple? From what I could read, a couple days. The training alone of the Avenger should have taken months in reality. However, in the art work, someone called in tech workers to rebuild the temple (seen in the background) supplying the team with vehicles, medical lab equipment, weaponry, etc like a true team headquarters deserves before major bad guy and some ninjas enter the scene at the climax. I did like the usage of Pat Savage!

I also noted in the end notes that Michael U. included a connection to the Shadow/Green Hornet mini as being in this series' continuity (as well as a nod to the origin of the original Batman from original Earth 2). So, Masks is not part of the continuity of this series? Still looking forward to Masks II.

Comment

schedule for remaining issues

So, currently the release schedule for the remaining issues is:
                      #4 = November 26, 2014
                      #5 = December 17, 2014
                      #6 = January 21, 2015 (final issue)

Comment

Not a bad finish. Nice team work and plot twists. It even leaves it open for a follow up. Any word on when 'The Avenger's Justice Inc.' will show up?
                        Last edited by Ghornet2; 01-30-2015, 12:44 PM.
                        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                          Not a bad finish. Nice team work and plot twists. It even leaves it open for a follow up. Any word on when 'The Avenger's Justice Inc.' will show up?
                          Waid to Write Pulp Series "Justice, Inc.: The Avenger" for Dynamite

Comment

Working...
                          X