Dynamite pulp's Phase Two

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamite pulp's Phase Two

I'm thinking we should consider the Midnight in Moscow Shadow mini and the new Justice Inc to be the official Phase Two of the Dynamite pulp era. What do you guys think?

It would be the first pulp related project since the initial books came to an end and I'm sure we are not too far away from something Green Hornet related and I think it may be the kickoff to the bursts of mini's we've been clamoring for.

Any thoughts?
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

I can dig that. Since we know the ongoings are complete and the only pulp we are getting will be in the form of mini's now I am okay with calling this phase 2 of Dynamite's pulp revival. I hope we see a Spider, Black Bat, and Green Hornet mini announced soon. Placing them under one banner called Justice Ink is not going to cut it for the long run

Comment

I think Justice Inc. is more or less just a showcase of these characters within an environment where they can all be together, I don't think it will be the only way to see these characters as I am guessing we will see a Black Bat and Green Hornet series pop up eventually. I think we need to have faith that Dynamite has stuff in the future that will please us and they wanted to kick off this phase with a showcase title and a mini based around their most popular pulp character.

Give it a bit of time and I'm sure we will see a Green Hornet book, Black Bat book, and much more in the future.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Comment

The upcoming Shadow mini would actually be a great start for what could be considered a second era within the Dynamite/Pulp mythos. Good call!

I wonder what Nick Barucci would say or think about this? Maybe he'll chime in and tell us?

I'm on board but I DO want to know that we are getting more than just a Shadow mini and this Justice Incorporated series. I want to read these great characters more than once a year and I too don't want to settle for one book featuring the entire cast to satisfy my love for these pulp legends.

Comment

Doc Savage might actually be considered the first second wave pulp title (and we still don't know if it will continue on beyond issue #8, the conclusion of Chris Roberson's first arc). And surely the next logical title after Justice Inc. must be an Avenger series. They could try G-8 and his Battle Aces, Operator #5, and Secret Agent "X", too. Perhaps even the Domino Lady.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Doc Savage might actually be considered the first second wave pulp title (and we still don't know if it will continue on beyond issue #8, the conclusion of Chris Roberson's first arc).
            The July solicitations of #8 said Final Issue in big letters.

I'm hoping for a series of Minis (a better term then 'on going minis) They have enough pulp characters that they could do a Different tile every other week and get most of them 2 minis a year. Doc Savage ends and the Avenger takes over his slot etc.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
              The July solicitations of #8 said Final Issue in big letters.

I'm hoping for a series of Minis (a better term then 'on going minis) They have enough pulp characters that they could do a Different tile every other week and get most of them 2 minis a year. Doc Savage ends and the Avenger takes over his slot etc.
              I like the way Dark Horse does it, with each mini having it's own story title, and then on the inside cover they give you the whole (cumulative) issue number in addition to the "Part 3 of 5" or whatever.

Then there's the television model of "seasons", which is what Marvel seems to be doing with Marvel Now. Each season has an overall theme or story arc; if the title sells then it gets renewed for 'next season', if not then it goes 'on hiatus' for a while until such time as someone comes up with a new spin on the concept. It's probably only a matter of time until someone starts numbering titles with "issue #2014.01" (or #01.14) to make it easier for back issue collectors to sort out the various volumes (or seasons) from one another. Or maybe that will never happen, since they continually seem to want to have new #1 issues, but at the same time they want to have the big 3-digit anniversary celebration issues whenever they want to do some funky addition to make it happen, not unlike DE's recent Warlord of Mars #100. When you're trying to push someone's OCD buttons, logic is never a big consideration.

Comment

I'm hoping for a format similar to how Dark Horse is doing Brain Boy or Black Beetle with a new mini coming out a few months after the last. For instance, The Black Bat has a mini starting in January and then it ends in April, then we would get another mini with a tag like like The Black Bat: Beneath the Darkness that would start up in June of July. That way you can promote a new #1 issue twice in a year and continue publishing these great characters.

I see no reason why The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow can't be the title that kicks off this trend for Dynamite. When it wraps up in October or whenever then they can lay low for 2-3 months before announcing a new Shadow mini of some sort.

Now that's a great business model and one fans seems to be begging for here.

Comment

Since things are solicited 3 months in advance they might even be able to do the "look for the Shadow in . . . " at the back of the last issue on a regular basis if they get thier timing down.
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

That's what it all comes down to, in my opinion. I can see if DE wants to move the business into the miniseries format but at least give us a blurb as to when a new book may hit. If a series ends in June than give us a blurb at the end of the series saying "The End. But don't be sad Hornet fans, look for more adventures this winter starring the Green Hornet!", or something to that effect.
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

I think Midnight in moscow is a good place to put the cutoff of phase one to phase 2 of the pulp stuff. Now that Dynamite knows what we want with the series of mini's I would put this shadow series at the beginning and watch as dynamite puts out these books. I can't wait for a Spider mini!!

Comment

The Avenger would be something to look forward to but could this mean more for Savage as well? I get excited hearing about anything Pulp related.

Not to sure if Marvel or DC is doing anything much since I stopped reading most of their stuff a while ago. Although I do watch their movies from time to time.

Comment

DC and Marvel aren't using these characters at all, basically Dynamite is keeping these characters alive right now in the marketplace.

But as it pertains to "phase two" I would say Midnight in Moscow is a great place to start and everything moving forward should be considered a part of this "phase" or "act". I'm very excited to see more characters get mini's as this unfolds. Though I have to say, if we are simply speculating and this isn't going to happen I feel Nick needs to tell us now before we give our hopes up....

Comment

Phase Two doesn't mean a reboot or anything, does it?

Comment

I think what the OP meant from "phase two" is that we are moving in the direction of seeing these books come out as a flow of ongoing mini's done by multiple creative staff rather than an ongoing series. It's sort of a "second life" for these pulp characters, if you will.

Comment

Working...
                              X