Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow/Chaykin Shadow MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentAllard View Post
    It does directly impinge on Blood & Judgement. It is a prequel story to it. Explaining why The Shadow disappeared before he returned in the 80's. That is what has been said about this new mini series.
    So, evil Lamont Cranston again, then. The disappearance seemed to have been pretty well explained in the original story. Which is why I'm not so sure. The title, "Midnight in Moscow" doesn't seem to evoke any connections, nor is the story ever called a prequel in the news item, only that it takes place "three decades earlier". Never does Chaykin or Barrucci explicitly state that this story is in the same continuity as Chaykin's Blood & Judgment. Not all of Dynamite's Shadow stories have been part of one consistent continuity. Everyone seems to assume "Midnight in Moscow" and "Blood & Judgment" are related simply because it's the same creator -- but who says Chaykin has only one version of The Shadow's story to tell?
    Last edited by pulphero; 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow official discussion

Here is the official Midnight in Moscow discussion thread. I know we are a little ways away from issue #1 but I figured I would start the discussion off with what we hope to see out of this new miniseries.

Discuss!
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

The art looks awesome, I have no experience with Chaykin but he seems to love the character and was once a big name so I have high hopes for the series. I hope it's as good as the 25 issue Shadow series was, and I loved that. I'm excited!

Comment

I've been so excited for this book to finally launch that it's eclipsed even the announcement of Justice Incorporated and other pulp related releases. This is going to be a great way for Dynamite to reintroduce The Shadow to the comic buying public, maybe even better than when Ennis was on the ongoing title. Though I'm sure the initial sales for the Ennis book will have been much greater.

Comment

Chaykin is still a big name to me, and his return to the character he left an unforgettable mark on in the 1980s is kind of a big deal. It will be interesting to see if Midnight in Moscow references the earlier (although set later, chronologically, in the Shadow's career) Blood and Judgment in any way.

Comment

I'm most definitely on board for this mini, I will take anything Shadow related and Howard Chaykin is a phenomenal talent to be working on this character. Is this supposed to be a 4 or 6 issue mini?

Comment

Okay, so I just finished this first issue and while it was a bit slow I highly enjoyed it. We got to see some of The Shadow in action at the beginning of the book and then things cooled down as we're treated some some nice (and important) dialogue while Lamont and company enjoy a nice posh dinner, before seeing the crew enjoy a nice night out on the town. All in all the book was a bit slow but you can tell it's building toward something big and I felt Chaykin did a wonderful job on the story and interiors.

I believe this hits Wednesday and I'd love to know what you all felt about it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
                  I have no experience with Chaykin but he seems to love the character
                  I don't know if that's the best way to phrase it....

HOWARD CHAYKIN: Sorry to disappoint the enthusiasts, but I’m not a fan of the original material. When I was called upon to do the book in 1985, I gather the assumption was that here’s this guy who loves the 1930s–so he must be hip to the canon. Not true. I had to do a lot of catch up and research on the source stuff–and it was pretty much what I expected. a lot of junk, and a few gems.

I say this knowing it’s going to piss off the fans of the stuff–you know who you are. Get over it.
                  http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...kin-interview/

Now, it could be a case of he likes the concept and some of the character setups, but just can't get into the original stories. That, I can understand...some of those pulps are hard to read, due to the different time and the rather rough writing style. But just the way he says it kind of rubs me the wrong way, like its more of a paycheck job for him.
                  Last edited by bluedevil2002; 05-23-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Just read it and really enjoyed it. Definitely setting the mood for the story quite well (vis-a-vis the Shadow looking to wind things down after a 20 year war on crime). The only question I had concerns that dinner scene where he's meeting with those other men and they all clearly know each others alternate identities. I'm assuming they're all "pulp" characters of some sort (or heroes of that generation) since the following page seems to have Cranston talking with Tarzan/John Clayton the Lord Greystoke. Just curious as to who the rest of their companions were.

Overall, a really well done first issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jsf View Post
                      Just read it and really enjoyed it. Definitely setting the mood for the story quite well (vis-a-vis the Shadow looking to wind things down after a 20 year war on crime). The only question I had concerns that dinner scene where he's meeting with those other men and they all clearly know each others alternate identities. I'm assuming they're all "pulp" characters of some sort (or heroes of that generation) since the following page seems to have Cranston talking with Tarzan/John Clayton the Lord Greystoke. Just curious as to who the rest of their companions were.

Overall, a really well done first issue.
                      I thought that the guy Cranston is discussing "spectrographic analysis" with could be Doc Savage (Chaykin not following the Bama model, here). Seems like the most likely candidate, anyway. Why would Cranston discuss the intimate details of one of the Shadow's crime cases with an ordinary civilian? I wonder who the pudgy guy holding the fluted glass was, though. Doesn't seem like a likely pulp hero. As for the others, too little information there to conclude that they ALL knew Cranston's alter ego as The Shadow. It wouldn't surprise me that the Shadow knew Greystoke's true background, but John Clayton may only know 'international globe-trotting big-game hunter' Cranston. Again, who's the fat guy? He seems like a real stick-in-the-mud, not the adventuring type at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedevil2002 View Post
                        ...some of those pulps are hard to read, due to the different time and the rather rough writing style. But just the way he says it kind of rubs me the wrong way, like its more of a paycheck job for him.
                        I rarely have encountered a pulp that's hard to read or had a rough writing style. Modern writing, yeah. Plenty of stuff around today that's hard to read or had a 'rough writing style'. Chaykin can be kind of an ass, sometimes. As if he's so sophisticated, compared to his readers, or like his work is worth so much more than 'junk' like Walter Gibson's Shadow pulps.

Comment

Read this for a 4th time this past Wednesday and I'm really excited about where this is going. Especially since the ending listed the second issue being all about gangs in NY, which is something I'm into, and mix that with some classic Shadow action and we're all good to go! But wait.....The Shadow is retired? Man......this issue can't come freaking fast enough!

As for issue #1, it has a great mix of The Shadow in action and Lamont enjoying his lavish lifestyle, it was a great read and Chaykin is off to a hot start.
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

the dinner table

My guess about the dinner guests. Doc Savage to the Shadow's left, with hair from the early pulps, not the later crew cut. To his left Tarzan. The empty seat next to the Shadow is The Saint's, who is in London with the woman, who eventually shows him her earring, one of the shrunken gold bars. Across from Tarzan, beats me.
                            Now, the heavy guy: Nero Wolfe. The address of the brownstone, the appearance, the beer glass all match the Wikipedia description. So the identity of the one across from Tarzan is a mystery, since he probably comes from that vintage investigator character. Chaykin did something similar in Avengers 1959.

Comment

I wasn't going to pick this up but now you guys have me wanting to make a special run to my LCS. Tomorrow on the way to work is soon enough.
                              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D View Post
                                The empty seat next to the Shadow is The Saint's, who is in London with the woman, who eventually shows him her earring, one of the shrunken gold bars.
                                I thought for sure that the guy in London named Simon was Simon Templar, The Saint, as well. The woman even calls him "Saint". But then Chaykin reveals that his last name *isn't* Templar (it's Simon Thorpe), and specifically identifies him as some scientist.

If it IS the Saint, running some scam under an assumed identity, I wonder why the woman would refer to him as "Saint"? And if you're right about the Saint and Nero Wolfe, that makes this less of a 'pulp hero' alter ego get-together, and more of a "detective/sleuth/crimestopper" thing. Doc Savage barely squeaks into the group by virtue of his 1940s subtitle of "Science Detective", but Lord Greystoke would seem to be the odd man out in this bunch. Who's the unidentified man, Bulldog Drummond?
                                Last edited by pulphero; 05-31-2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X