No announcement yet.

The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah. There's only 2 stores here in town. Both of them have it on back-order at Diamond.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to order it online and pay shipping too, but I might.

Comment

• I wish I had some advice to give you, other than be vigilant and alert when new series come out, so you don't wind up missing things. It's always been the case that if you come in late, issue 2 or 3 is tough to find. Retailers always order more of issue #1, then adjust downward. No easy answers here, sometimes it's just a tough thing to be a comic book fan. It does help a little if you can make local connections with other fans.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I got a copy!

Comment

• Shadow #5

Amazing issue, I loved reding #4 and #5 back to back and man........how about this old school art? AWESOME! Anyone else dig this issue as much as me? What did you think about the story?

Comment

• I just have to grit my teeth every time I read a line like "Why did you bother saving him?". Or when he just point-blank murders people in cold blood (not in kill-or-be-killed combat). Ennis is carrying this "evil within himself" idea too far. He's no longer a hero, merely the protagonist of the story. Have to keep reminding myself, it's not THE Shadow, it's A Shadow... At this point, I'm looking forward to Victor Gischler taking over the writing to see if he puts a different spin on the character.

The interior art is fine as always, but I notice the cover artists can't exactly agree on what the character looks like. Long belted trenchcoat, or double-breasted suit jacket? Long cape, medium-length, or short? Red or black lining on the cape? How wide is his hat brim?
            Last edited by positronic; 09-21-2012, 02:56 AM.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
              Amazing issue, I loved reding #4 and #5 back to back and man........how about this old school art? AWESOME! Anyone else dig this issue as much as me? What did you think about the story?
              Loved it. Thought it was the best issue to date, both art and storywise. I sorta wish Ennis were continuing on the title after this issue.

(And yes, I know it's not the Shadow as portrayed in the pulps. But neither was the one on the radio. Different mediums, different takes on the characters. I'm fine with that.)

Comment

• Added pics to Devient Art

I just added some micros of Shadow, Doc Savage, Lone Ranger and Tonto to my Deviant Art page
                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/
                I know I posted them in the off topic section, but there are also a bunch of other fun micros.
                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• I really just don't get the small body/big head thing. Just can't see what the attraction is. Too old, I guess.

Comment

• I just like the fact that a non artist like me can finally create pics of the heroes I've created for various games (Champions, Heroscape etc.)
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• Didn't they used to have 3D "skins" for games like Freedom Force? Those were regularly-proportioned characters.

Comment

• Perhaps it is a chibi thing, or perhaps a bobblehead thing?

Comment

• So, where does the story go from here and what will the future hold with the new writer coming on board?

As for this issue, it progressed nicely and aside from the so-so art I would say that this was the best issue since the first.

Comment

• When you experience the impulse to cutie-fy everything... resist.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                              Didn't they used to have 3D "skins" for games like Freedom Force? Those were regularly-proportioned characters.
                              I'm talking old school where you sit round a table with dice and paper. And yeah some of the gmes did have basic figures you coukld modify but they never looked that good. As I said on a scale of 1-10 my artist ability is a 2 maybe a 3 on a real good day.

Comment

• Just did a random search for Freedom Force skins and found hundreds, even the most obscure characters, and even the most minor variations on costumes. Obviously they start with some basic blank figure models and add various details and colors. But judging from all the pix I found, the characters can be rendered in a basic 2D GIF as well (or maybe it's a screen capture). I have no idea how it works, but it seems to me there's no real drawing involved. The software must do all of the 3D sculpting. The finished characters are a little rough, but not too much. Pretty impressive, actually. Same basic principle involved in creating your micros, I'd imagine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	black_hood_copper.gif
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	48676Click image for larger version

Name:	shield_2_copper.gif
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	48674Click image for larger version

Name:	web_copper_b.gif
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	48677Click image for larger version

Name:	steel_sterling_copper.gif
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	48678Click image for larger version

Name:	fly_man_copper_b.gif
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	48675
                                Last edited by positronic; 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X