The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chadster View Post
    So, where does the story go from here and what will the future hold with the new writer coming on board?

As for this issue, it progressed nicely and aside from the so-so art I would say that this was the best issue since the first.
    According to DE's solicitation for The Shadow #7, "The Shadow is known for the mystic power which allows him to cloud men's minds and read their hearts. But what happens when this power fails him? After the Shadow fails to stop a routine mugging, he travels to the Far East with his pilot and sidekick WWI ace Miles Crofton. In Nepal, he hopes to reconnect with his old masters and to consult with them about what could be amiss with his Powers. Instead, he finds opium smugglers. As always, The Shadow faces danger ... but he must also look within himself."

I wonder if Victor Gischler is setting up a de-powered Shadow for his upcoming run? To my mind, this would be a very good thing, as Ennis' initial arc has been far too over-reliant on the "mystical powers" aspect -- I almost feel like he's writing a cross between The Punisher and Doctor Strange. Time to get back to the basic pulp crimefighter, I think. Although it's pretty hard to imagine even a mystical-powerless Shadow who "fails to stop a routine mugging"...???
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Positronic. I admit I have not been following the issues all that closely as I am waiting for the trade but I was worried that this writer would portray the Shadow in a non heroic light. I didn't want him to be a DC hero with a no kill rule but it bothers me to see him turned into such a sociopath.

Comment

• Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
        Positronic. I admit I have not been following the issues all that closely as I am waiting for the trade but I was worried that this writer would portray the Shadow in a non heroic light. I didn't want him to be a DC hero with a no kill rule but it bothers me to see him turned into such a sociopath.
        "DC hero with a no kill rule"?? Oh, right. The other, former DC.

Really, you'd think with DE having both The Spider AND The Shadow, they'd be anxious to distinguish the two in every way possible, not just visually. They really should leave the "he may not be all there" personality aspects to the former, and let the latter continue as more of a standard hero type. But that's what you get when your primary source of information about The Shadow comes from the 1994 movie and the comics written by Howard Chaykin, with perhaps a smattering of radio episodes from the Orson Welles era.
        Last edited by positronic; 09-29-2012, 12:14 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• From Shadow Annual #1 to Masks #2 - Dennis Calero

Anyone wondering who would follow up Alex Ross' interior art on Masks after issue #1 need look no further than last Wednesday's The Shadow Annual #1 for a preview of coming distractions. "A tough act to follow" seems more apropos than cliche.
          Last edited by positronic; 09-29-2012, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• Ummm, I liked the 1994 and the radio dramas and neither of those turned him into a sociopath (well maybe in the first five minutes of the film but who actually watches that scene).

Yeah I agree that for no other reason than to put some distance between Shadow and Spider that Shadow should have been made more heroic which spider remains "slightly less of a menace than those he kills"

Comment

• Don't forget, Garth Ennis spent years writing the Marvel MAX Punisher, and some of that character is bound to have rubbed off on his version of the Shadow.

Comment

• and they replace Ennis with. . . another writer who did Punisher MAX. Perhaps a mccarthy era style blacklist should be instated for people affiliated with that particular title j/k

Comment

• I have no idea if Victor Gischler's Punisher is typical of his writing (although to be fair, he was following in the footsteps of a pattern laid down, not only by Ennis just prior to him, but going back to the 1970s). But Ennis has always been known for his bloodiness. Preacher, The Boys, Punisher MAX, and others, there's a definite trend there. I actually prefer his war stories (and it's fair to say Punisher MAX can also be viewed as a war story). Fury MAX has been outstanding.
                  Last edited by positronic; 10-05-2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• You guys have clearly never read his pulp adventures, then.

He was a killing machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
                      You guys have clearly never read his pulp adventures, then.

He was a killing machine.
                      No, it's you who clearly hasn't read any of Walter Gibson's original pulps. There was a specific characterization to when, why and how The Shadow killed. He typically killed crooks who were shooting at him (or were imminently threatening innocent lives). He wasn't bloodthirsty, and he didn't engage in execution-style slayings. Unless forced into it, The Shadow was perfectly happy to leave crooks for the law to deal with after he had confounded their plans. The prisons were full of them. Even the supercrooks, the masterminds, more often than not did not meet their ends through direct violence on The Shadow's part. Walter Gibson usually contrived to have the supervillains meet their doom as a result of their own machinations. Vengeance, retribution, or summary judgment isn't The Shadow's motivation in the pulps. He kills only as a direct consequence of the immediate life-threatening actions of crooks.

Comment

• I've read quite a few of them actually (thanks to some of the 60's paperbacks and the recent reprints by Nostalgia Ventures) and I guess I see it differently.

I have no issue whatsoever with the portrayal in the new comic. I was also a big fan of the Andy Helfer/Kyle Baker run of comics from DC which were rather irreverent and, frankly, pissed a lot of old-school SHADOW fans WAY off, but I've always found that kind of unflinching devotion to a character/story to be limiting.

It's like people who said the recent STAR TREK movie was awful because the ship is designed differently.

Comment

• Masks? Has it been released yet? I was thinking of buying this title..

Comment

• Originally posted by helwen View Post
                            Masks? Has it been released yet? I was thinking of buying this title..
                            Due in November.

Comment

• Because of everything I've read here, and on other web locations, I've put my preorder in for the entire series.
                              As a fan of the majority of the characters, and pulps of all sorts, this series is a wish come true.

Comment

• The Shadow # 7

I didn't have much to say about the previous issue (which ended the China-based arc). Other than getting to see the Shadow give his trademark laugh, the conclusion seemed a little...blah.

But the current issue (#7) is different. I've never been very comfortable with the mystic powers used by DE's Shadow and the plot tease that he was going back to the temple where he got them in the first place did not please me. But I was wrong. The story went a different way than I expected and felt more like the pulp version of the Shadow than anything in the prior issues. The Shadow's realization near the end about "an ordinary man" was worth the price of admission. This issue has rekindled my interest in this series! Keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X