No announcement yet.

The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish they would hire Andy Helfer and Kyle Baker and put out a mini-series allowing them to finish off their INCREDIBLY irreverent and AWESOME storyline from the 80's DC series.

Comment

• The Shadow Special #1 - Kent Allard

While I more or less expected to see this by the time The Shadow Year One by Matt Wagner shipped, The Shadow Special #1 represents the first official acknowledgment in DE's continuity that The Shadow is in fact Kent Allard, not Lamont Cranston.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Oh man I just read this and I think everyone is really going to be happy with this story. It's my favorite single issue of The Shadow so far.

Comment

• I've yet to read one that actually feels like a Shadow story to me. Masks has been the closest so far. Usually I'm more excited about the covers.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• The story sounds really interesting. The problem is the art is being done by Ronan Cliquet. He was abysmal in the Green Hornet. The art killed the story. I cant imagine him being any better in a similar genre title. I will look at the previews, but will have to think before picking up this one. A shame because it is such an intriguing story line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
              The story sounds really interesting. The problem is the art is being done by Ronan Cliquet. He was abysmal in the Green Hornet. The art killed the story. I cant imagine him being any better in a similar genre title. I will look at the previews, but will have to think before picking up this one. A shame because it is such an intriguing story line.
              I've defended Cliquet before, but even I have to admit this one was lacking. The story was not that great. Better art might have helped somewhat, but even Alex Ross artwork would not have made this story into a classic or anything. Now that I think of it, few of the DE Annuals or Specials have been very "special".

Comment

• I respectfully disagree. This was the single best Shadow issue to date by Dynamite. Much better than Garth's issues and I am a big fan of Mr. Ennis. Mr. Beatty did a fantastic job, and kudos to him for an excellent issue and props for tying in the Kent Allard identity.

I also think the art was excellent.

Comment

• While good, it felt like at the end there were some narrative gaps. Like 4 pages of story were missing.

But if anyone had no idea who The Shadow was, this Special gives a good little background info on why Allard/Cranston does what he does.

Comment

• This was my least favorite Shadow story Dynamite has done yet, I really like the core Shadow series but this special featured ugly art and a boring plot. Ronan's art is just horrible, his issues of Green Hornet were tough to sit through and this was no better. The plot was okay if not a bit boring and everything just felt so loooooong, I couldn't sit through it in one sitting and had to cone back to it.
                    Last edited by manga4life; 12-28-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Let's face it, anything that uses the old Howard Chaykin/movie Shadow "He knows what evil lurks because he was evil" is just a huge turnoff to me. As long as they insist on harping on that angle, I'm not going to enjoy the stories. That's just a twisted interpretation of either the pulp OR the radio Shadow.

The only reason the Chaykin Shadow worked at all is because it was a limited series and (in my opinion) a kind of "Elseworlds" Shadow, before they invented the concept of Elseworlds.
                      Last edited by positronic; 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• I'm not a Ronan Cliquet fan at all, but I'm surprised people didn't like Scott Beatty's writing. I thought it was a good, fun one shot story that mixed light humor and dark action quite well.

Comment

• I was a huge fan of the Chaykin SHADOW (and the series that came after) but I'm not married to it in that it doesn't bother me at all that they're bringing him back to his roots a bit. I'm wondering if YEAR ONE is going to touch on his airman past as "The Dark Eagle". That would be fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnpisme View Post
                            I'm not a Ronan Cliquet fan at all, but I'm surprised people didn't like Scott Beatty's writing. I thought it was a good, fun one shot story that mixed light humor and dark action quite well.
                            Really? Finding out that Kent Allard was a twisted psycho during World War One, and inspired another twisted psycho to follow in his footsteps, is "good fun" and "light humor"? Maybe you got a different Shadow Special #1 than I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
                              I was a huge fan of the Chaykin SHADOW (and the series that came after) but I'm not married to it in that it doesn't bother me at all that they're bringing him back to his roots a bit. I'm wondering if YEAR ONE is going to touch on his airman past as "The Dark Eagle". That would be fun.
                              Not sure what you mean about "bringing him back to his roots". He's still that guy that used to be evil, so no, they're really NOT "bringing him back to his roots". That was NEVER part of the original conception of the character, either in the pulps, on radio, or in the comics, prior to Chaykin. Then came the 1990s movie which adopted the idea and seems to have cemented it in the minds of those whose awareness of the Shadow is fairly casual.

It's a bit like Henry Pym. Most writers of the last 10-20 years consider him a minor character at best and can't be bothered to look over the whole of his history, so they define him entirely in terms of the single thing they DO remember about him. "Wasn't he the wife-beater?" And to them that becomes the whole of his character. A dramatic, even shocking turn for the character at the time, but I doubt if even Jim Shooter ever intended to permanently alter the heroic nature of the character for all time. Never mind that he had decades of stories as a hero before that.

So too with Chaykin's late addition to the Shadow mythos. Even though it's inconsistent with the character's previous history, that's what modern writers turned out to fixate on when they remember the Shadow (since it was perpetuated by the movie), so all future versions of the Shadow seem doomed to be viewed through that particular distorted fisheye lens. Maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if there was a good, logical justification along with that regarding his about-face conversion to the side of the angels, but nobody seems to be bothered by that but me, apparently.
                              Last edited by positronic; 12-29-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                                Really? Finding out that Kent Allard was a twisted psycho during World War One, and inspired another twisted psycho to follow in his footsteps, is "good fun" and "light humor"? Maybe you got a different Shadow Special #1 than I did.
                                Light humor would refer to the beginning, shopping with Margo. The other stuff would fall under "dark action" which I also mentioned. Overall, I found it to be a fun read.

Comment

Working...
                                X