The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnpisme View Post
    Light humor would refer to the beginning, shopping with Margo. The other stuff would fall under "dark action" which I also mentioned. Overall, I found it to be a fun read.
    All things considered, an entire issue devoted to shopping with Margo seems like a breath of fresh air. I could have lived with that.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
      Not sure what you mean about "bringing him back to his roots". He's still that guy that used to be evil, so no, they're really NOT "bringing him back to his roots". That was NEVER part of the original conception of the character, either in the pulps, on radio, or in the comics, prior to Chaykin. Then came the 1990s movie which adopted the idea and seems to have cemented it in the minds of those whose awareness of the Shadow is fairly casual.
      Howard Chaykin didn't alter Kent Allard's character in Blood & Judgement at all. Honestly for someone who peppers this forum with pernickety, snippy little comments you'd think you might actually read or at least read up on the comic you commenting on. He took the identity of Lamont Cranston, a rich guy who was for all intents & purposes evil.
      Previous to that he was Kent Allard a WW1 pilot & nothing suggested he was evil at all. Another thing, in the new series I rather like that used to be a bad guy. I thought what Ennis did, making him a murky & slimy former WW1 spy was a really good aspect of his six issue run.
      It explained a lot of his behaviour and even the tactics in which he fought. It also gave pause to a refection on absolution & redemption in a few moments of his run. It also made where he got his powers/skills and why he got them far more ominous, to me anyway..

Comment

• Originally posted by KentAllard View Post
        Howard Chaykin didn't alter Kent Allard's character in Blood & Judgement at all. Honestly for someone who peppers this forum with pernickety, snippy little comments you'd think you might actually read or at least read up on the comic you commenting on. He took the identity of Lamont Cranston, a rich guy who was for all intents & purposes evil.
        Previous to that he was Kent Allard a WW1 pilot & nothing suggested he was evil at all. Another thing, in the new series I rather like that used to be a bad guy. I thought what Ennis did, making him a murky & slimy former WW1 spy was a really good aspect of his six issue run.
        It explained a lot of his behaviour and even the tactics in which he fought. It also gave pause to a refection on absolution & redemption in a few moments of his run. It also made where he got his powers/skills and why he got them far more ominous, to me anyway..
        The point is Chaykin introduced the idea of the evil Cranston. I admit the details have somewhat blurred in my mind now in the 25-odd years since I read it. Then the movie fused the two characters back into one (so no, it's not Ennis' invention), and Ennis basically chose to perpetuate the movie version, with slight modifications of his own. Any way you want to slice it, it starts with Chaykin. None of these ideas have any basis in the pulp or radio stories. If nobody had chosen to mine Chaykin's Shadow for ideas, I admit I could have happily looked back on it as an interesting one-off Elseworlds-type take on The Shadow. I actually enjoy (or used to enjoy) a lot of Chaykin's work. I just don't think anyone else should carry on any of his ideas. That cynical worldview was once his unique little fiefdom, but now it's taking over the world of comics. Not every character needs to be an utter bastard bigger than the other bastard he's up against. It might seem antithetical to people today that a character can shoot people and still be considered intrinsically good, but WWI & II vets didn't come home and get looked on as heartless killing machines.

I'm a lot less concerned with whether he goes by Allard or Cranston than I am about his motivations for becoming The Shadow. The pulp Shadow had his espionage skills but no need to redeem himself for despicable war crimes. My reading of that is that he chose to bury the Allard identity to blur any possible connection to The Shadow, and because Cranston's face and background made for a convenient place to hide, while staying connected in the world.

OK, so you like it. Duly noted. I'm still waiting on the logical explanation of the redemption part. It's implied but never really told. Actually, it doesn't seem like much of a redemption. He just happens to do bad things now in the service of a greater good. That doesn't make him good, just "good thing he's on our side". There is a certain cynicism there that Chaykin and Ennis both share, though.

Sure hope Matt Wagner can do something with this. Not the ideal situation for a writer to untangle someone else's backstory.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• While I think you're certainly entitled to your preferences, I respectfully feel otherwise.

In the pulps Allard was an airman who decided to fight crime out of boredom so he faked his death and (forcefully, mind you) took on the identity of Lamont Cranston. He pretty much threatened Cranston into allowing him to impersonate him while Cranston was out gallivanting. So while Allard may not have been "evil", he was kind of a jerk.

Allard used a LOT of aliases in the pulps...Henry Arnaud...Isaac Twambley...It was part of his M.O.

The mystical and redemptive elements add to the character who was, otherwise, just the usual sort of pulp magazine vigilante character. Don't get me wrong, I love the old pulps (haven't read all of them, admittedly), but I think the character is much more interesting with that little element of nasty floating beneath the surface.

Comment

• motivatio

Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
            Allard was an airman who decided to fight crime out of boredom
            That's a pretty facile interpretation, but you're entitled to your opinion. Lacking some obvious motivational cliche like his parents, uncle, or family was murdered, then I guess he was just bored? Sure, you can ascribe anything to boredom. He was bored so he signed up to fight for the Allies, he was bored so he became an aviator, he was bored so he decided to get involved in espionage. Then the War was over and he was bored so he became a crimefighter. In the broadest sense I guess we can say anything anyone does is motivated by boredom.

The Great War was also a time of great disillusionment, a great failure of idealism, but that doesn't mean everyone was morally bankrupt. Some people still genuinely believed in the concept of social justice, corny as that sounds in today's world.

It's not as if we know enough details about Allard's early life to be able to ascribe motivations to his personality and psyche, but I would suggest it's just possible he has some greater motivation for risking his life than mere boredom. Unless you believe that only remorse for a life lived badly is motivation enough.

Just what the heck is wrong with characters who are actual heroes? Nah, it could never happen.

Comment

• Think on this. In real life, all of the great accomplishments and great movers and shakers in the world, some of them may have been motivated by greed, selfishness or pettiness, but just as many have not. And very few of them had neatly simplified "origin stories" to explain their motivations.

Comment

• Shadow #9

After much searching, I'm finding it impossible to find anywhere I can order the Francesco Francavilla variant for Shadow #9 and my local shop is also claiming they can't do it. Can anyone link me to somewhere I can order this?

Comment

After much searching, I'm finding it impossible to find anywhere I can order the Francesco Francavilla variant for Shadow #9 and my local shop is also claiming they can't do it. Can anyone link me to somewhere I can order this?
                  The question is, is it a "regular" variant (meaning 1 of 2, 1 of 3, 1 of 4, 1 of 5, all in equal proportion) or a "Retailer Incentive" variant? There was a Francavilla variant for #8 (a 1-in-15 Retailer Incentive), and for The Shadow #6 (a 1-in-50 Retailer Incentive).

You'll find that your LCS "can't do it" in the above instances unless they are pre-ordering (or RE-ordering) a minimum of 15 copies (for issue #8) or 50 copies (for issue #6). Your best bet then is eBay or Amazon's z-shops sellers.

The reality of this is that the only retailers getting copies of these are those in large metropolitan areas, where the shop can sell 15 or 50 copies of the regular book. Those retailers may then offer the incentive cover to their regular customers first, or put it up on eBay or Amazon. That's the way it works.

If it was a "regular" variant, your LCS can't order a single copy of that particular cover either, because Diamond Comics' ordering system doesn't distinguish between the covers that are split in regular proportions. If your LCS orders (or re-orders) a single copy, Diamond sends the LCS a random cover. It may be the one you want, but just as likely it's one of the other ones.
                  Last edited by positronic; 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• OK, I just thought to check Dynamite's solicitations listing for The Shadow #9, and the Francavilla cover is indeed a "regular" 25% variant (something that Boom Studios describes, collectively, simply as "Main Covers").

To explain even more, when your retailer orders The Shadow #9, approximately 25% of his total order (allowing for odd numbers indivisible by 4) will consist of the Francavilla cover. He doesn't have the option of ordering more or less of any one of the main covers, because Diamond Comics assigns all 4 of these main covers a single SKU (unique order number) that the orders get picked from. When pulled from the original shipping boxes, the books are regularly ordered in groups of 4, one of each main cover variant.

I hope that explains in a way that's understandable to you why your LCS "can't do it" when it comes to ordering a single copy of the Francavilla cover of The Shadow #9. That said, all you can do is to call different comic shops and ASK the clerk if he has a copy of the Francavilla cover of The Shadow #9 on his shelf, until you find one that does, and ask him to hold it until you can pick it up. Unfortunately, few comic shops will bother to do mail orders on a single $3.99 comic.

The good news is, this issue hasn't shipped yet. You can ask your retailer to hold you a copy of that specific Francavilla cover IF he has already ordered enough copies (i. e., at least 4) to get one. It may be awfully difficult for comic shop retailers to keep track of such requests though, if they get a lot of them. The best idea is to find out when the book is due to ship, then show up on Wednesday as early as possible (or at least call on that day with your request to hold the book for you).
                    Last edited by positronic; 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for all the info. I really didn't know how these 25% variants worked. I suspected it was like you say it is, but thought online retailers who know they are ordering enough to get copies of it would be offering it. I've really become obsessed with Francavilla's art more and more lately. He's doing regular covers for the new Doctor Who series from IDW and I've already decided to pull it based on that alone. I hope it ends up being good.

Comment

I've really become obsessed with Francavilla's art more and more lately.
                        You say that like it's a bad thing. He's one of only a handful left in the comic industry worth being obsessed about.

Comment

• TPB Releases

Just wondering when a few dynamite titles will get released in TPB form. Specifically I am waiting for

Green Hornet Strikes
                          Zorro Rides Again vol 2

All the others I am waiting for like Shadow Year 1, Masks etc. are still going on so I know it will be awhile but the 2 mentioned above... they should be out soon.

Comment

• Green Hornet Strikes took so long to come out with the last issue I'm sure they had to cancel any plans for a TPB and are probably rescheduling it.
                            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• The 1930s Live!

As an old guy (I'm 62) who has been reading comics since the 1950s, I just wanted to say thanks to Dynamite for all their pulp titles. I love The Shadow, The Spider, Zorro, The Green Hornet, Flash Gordon and The Lone Ranger. These are all quality publications and deserve the support of all those who love the comic art heritage of our hobby. I liked the Project Superpowers as well. The Golden Age (which was before my time) has always fascinated me and I really enjoy reading modern versions of these classic characters. I, too, am saddened by the cancellation of Flash Gordon and hope the Spider series survives beyond #12. But if they do not, at least we had these characters for awhile. No other publisher would take a chance on these characters so Dynamite deserves not only a pat on the back but also the economic support of all of us in these undertakings. Dynamite publishes most of the comics I read now. I love the DH Conan stuff (more 1930s characters!) and hope that the Robert E. Howard stuff goes on as well. Just a few thoughts from a long time comic fan...

Comment

• Don't forget Buck Rogers, The Phantom, Lord of the Jungle, and Warlord of Mars. It's nice to see these characters having new life in the comic books, even if it's only for a little while.

I am also grateful to IDW, Fantagraphics, Hermes Press, and Dark Horse for all the classic comic strip and Golden Age comic book reprints, as well as to Sanctum Books, Girasol Collectables, Altus Press, and Adventure House for all the classic pulp reprints. It's a good time to be a fan of classic characters and classic reprints. I always had an interest in this stuff (along with old time radio shows and movie serials), but never have all of these things been so easily available or cheaper, since they first appeared. It's like getting to live in an era before I was born, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.
                                Last edited by positronic; 02-01-2013, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X