No announcement yet.

The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, that leaves me with a more positive feeling. The sales of the book should surely benefit from having Ennis' name attached, as well.

Still, I'd have felt even better if I'd seen the names Burbank, Shevvy, Harry Vincent, Cliff Marsland, Vic Marquette, Myra Reldon, Dr. Roy Tam, Hawkeye, Clyde Burke, Rutledge Mann, or Claude Fellows mentioned anywhere. I always liked the Shadow's cadre of regular agents and felt they were a big part of what made the novels enjoyable.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Garth Ennis on "The Shadow". Sounds interesting! I will buy it. Another Dynamite-title for me!

Make mine Dynamite!

Comment

Hmmm. The interview already tells me a couple of things I was hoping he would avoid. "Power to cloud men's minds" was not a feature of the pulp novels. It was a junky trick for the radio show to avoid having to plot things. The reference to mysticism bothers me too. The pulp Shadow was not mystical in any sense of the word--again, that was more the radio character. And the interview reads as if the Shadow really IS Lamont Cranston, which is a complete contradiction of the pulp novels. All of which makes me wonder what Ennis is talking about when he claims he is going to give a pulp feel to the stories, since he apparently is not bothering with the actual pulp stories (including, as positronic points out, involving the Shadow's cadre of regular agents, which were a major part of the pulp stories).

No, I am afraid my desire to buy this title has dropped considerably. The last thing I want to read is something that strongly resembles those crappy radio shows.

Comment

To be fair, Denny O'Neil and Michael Kaluta's 1970s DC adaptation of the Shadow also utilized elements of the radio show (although not invisibility), including never referring to the Shadow's other identity as anything but Lamont Cranston, utilizing the radio signature "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?", and including Margo Lane as Cranston's "friend and companion"/agent (although again, romantic entanglement was never hinted at). Ennis mentions Lane as the "lover of the Shadow's alter-ego, Cranston"... but he doesn't say that Cranston IS The Shadow. Cranston is The Shadow's alter-ego, but not neccessarily his true identity. And Ennis never mentions invisibility either. "The power to cloud men's minds" might just be another way of referring to ninjitsu, the art of covertness, blending into the shadows. And like Batman, The Shadow was always acknowledged as having learned many arcane skills in his world travels after World War I.

Regarding the radio shows: they obviously don't have the narrative power and verve of Gibson's novels, but such stories were impossible to encapsulate in a half-hour radio format. The radio series dug itself into a cliched, well-worn rut over the years, but the early ones featuring Orson Welles actually are pretty good radio, even if the character was altered from the novels. And, to concede practical concerns, far more people are familiar with the radio version than the pulp novels, so I can see the neccessity of incorporating some of those elements. It should become clear in relatively short order how familiarized Ennis became with Gibson's novels, so until then I'm reserving judgment.
          Last edited by positronic; 02-02-2012, 05:52 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Shadow on the Radio

As mentioned in a couple of other forums I am a fan and collector of old time radio (OTR). The Shadow at first was just the announcer for a series of anthology shows including of all things a romance show. He was so popular Street and Smith commissioned Gibson to create a pulp version. While the Orson Wells version was probably the best (and best known) on radio some of the others were quite good. I used to sell copies of the Shadow among others and have 3 mp3 disks of shows. I havenít listened to them in a while, this might be a good time to pull them out for a fresh listen.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Thank you, positronic. Everything you wrote is absolutely correct. I was feeling cranky when I wrote my post. It is just that I have been reading the Shadow pulp novel reprints from Sanctum Press and they are so amazingly good that I have started getting annoyed at people who only talk about the Shadow radio incarnation. I have no idea how Gibson could write so many novels so fast and yet maintain such a high level of quality. IMHO, they are how the Shadow should be remembered, not some silly "mind clouding." But, as I said, you are right in everything you said. The early radio shows were good and they had to do some things to fit a half-hour radio format. The multiple plot twists that Gibson did in the novels was not practical for the radio.

And, yeah, maybe I will give Ennis' version a try.

Comment

It is a wonderful thing to think that nowadays one can easily purchase pulp reprints of The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger, The Whisperer (from Sanctum Publications) and The Spider (from Girasol Pulp Doubles), in addition to many more obscure pulp reprints from Altus Press, Adventure House, Haffner Press, and others too numerous to mention. For the aforementioned characters, $15 will get you two complete adventures, which seems like more than a fair price to me.

For those interested in such things and keeping up with who's releasing what in the wild and wooly world of pulp publishing, I highly recommend the following site:

http://www.pulpcomingattractions.com/

Regarding Gibson and how fast he wrote The Shadow novels, he set himself a goal in word-count per day, and found that as he got into it, he could continually set the barrier higher in terms of word count. He found that same sort of "runners' high" when he got into the pace and was really cooking. He found the ideas and words flowing faster and faster, as he immersed himself in the reality of his own plots. He had several typewriters, and he'd have to give each of them a "rest" in turn, as he switched to a "fresh" one. It's a wonder the man's fingertips weren't worn to bloody stumps.
                Last edited by positronic; 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Uh-oh, I may just have to withdraw my defense of Garth Ennis' comments on The Shadow. I've just now gotten around to reading the article in last Wednesday's COMIC SHOP NEWS. I would have read it sooner but figured I probably already read this same info online. Wrong.

Seems that Ennis' entire research for The Shadow consisted of reading DC's 1980s series by Howard Chaykin and the earlier 1970s series by Denny O'Neil and Mike Kaluta. That's it. OK, I can appreciate that reading all of the 325 Shadow novels is a daunting task. Or even just the 282 novels written by Walter Gibson, his creator. But not even a half-dozen or so of the better ones, now easily available? Or failing that, at minimum, reading Walter Gibson's The Shadow Scrapbook and/or Will Murray's Duende History of The Shadow Magazine, both of which give a concise summary of the character and his history?

Back to having a shaky feeling about this...

Comment

Oh dear. That is not comforting. Maybe he read the Wikipedia article?

Comment

This might be kind of a lark for Ennis. He mentioned in the article in CSN that so far, he's only committed to 6 issues, although he left the possibility open that he might continue for more. Ennis is undeniably talented, but I'd still feel better with a writer who has read and professed his admiration for Gibson's Shadow novels.

Comment

Dang. I hadn't seen this among the Shadow covers. Well done, Francesco!

http://www.francescofrancavilla.com/...shadow_01.html

Comment

I am so freaking excited for The Shadow! My grandmother introduced me to The Shadow as a kid by getting me a bunch of the Old-Time Radio shows which she enjoyed as a child. Since then I have always had a special place in my heart for The Shadow. That is why this week I went to my local comic shop and made my first ever comic subscription! Thank you Dynamite for bringing The Shadow back into my life and I hope this version of him is enjoyable for all of The Shadow's fans.

P.S. I also subscribed to Green Hornet so if you guys have any other recommendations that would be awesome

Comment

Want to know more about The Shadow from Dynamite? Check out this brand-new interview at Bleeding Cool with writer, Garth Ennis!

-Your Dude at Dynamite
                            Last edited by DudeAtDynamite; 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

quick question

Will Dynamite release any other previous collections (such as the O'Neil/Kaluta work or the minis from Dark Horse during the '90's)?

I'd like to see more than just the Chaykin series get reprinted.

Comment

I'm going to playing Heroscape and created a Shadow & Doc Savage cards to use. Also created 'microheroes' for the cards. Check out the off topic forum for a look.
                                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X