No announcement yet.

The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great arc going on here. Each writer has brought his own style to this title but all have been excellent. Consistently, one of the best titles each month. I hope it continues. Art is excellent as well.

Pardon my paranoia, but I hope this title doesn't get messed up (aka Green Hornet Legacy).

Comment

• Heh, The Shadow totally killed a 90 year old Asian lady. You got to love him.

Great plot going on in recent issues, loving Roberson's run so far.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• The Shadow Ending?!

This was posted on Francesco Francavilla's twitter:
        My cover for the last issue (#25) of THE SHADOW, out in April: gonna miss drawing this guy
        I was just doing variant covers for this arc, which is ending with #25. Not sure if it will be rebooted.

Does Dynamite have a 25 issues and reboot system in place because I am fairly certain that the second volume of The Lone Ranger is ending at issue 25 as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by kingcooger View Post
          This was posted on Francesco Francavilla's twitter:
          My cover for the last issue (#25) of THE SHADOW, out in April: gonna miss drawing this guy
          I was just doing variant covers for this arc, which is ending with #25. Not sure if it will be rebooted.

Does Dynamite have a 25 issues and reboot system in place because I am fairly certain that the second volume of The Lone Ranger is ending at issue 25 as well?
          Interesting question. DE has certainly had titles that lasted beyond 25 issues, like Green Hornet Legacy (licensed) and Vampirella (DE-owned). Then again, Bionic Man ran for 26 issues before being replaced on the schedule by The Six Million Dollar Man, while Dark Shadows ran only 23 issues and isn't being relaunched. And technically, Lone Ranger ran for TWO volumes of 25 issues each, so that's 50 total (plus a few miniseries as well), and the second volume was a direct continuation rather than a reboot/relaunch. Warlord of Mars and Dejah Thoris are both running past 30 issues, with a special "#100" (adding all previous WoM-related numbers together) scheduled for April. Not to mention the many, many DE series that never made it to a 25th issue. DE's original Zorro series ran for only 20 issues, and was then replaced by Zorro Rides Again (12 issues), again a direct continuation (with the same writer). If there's a pattern here, there sure do seem to be a lot of exceptions to the rule.
          Last edited by pulphero; 01-23-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Interesting question. DE has certainly had titles that lasted beyond 25 issues, like Green Hornet Legacy (licensed) and Vampirella (DE-owned). Then again, Bionic Man ran for 26 issues before being replaced on the schedule by The Six Million Dollar Man, while Dark Shadows ran only 23 issues and isn't being relaunched. And technically, Lone Ranger ran for TWO volumes of 25 issues each, so that's 50 total (plus a few miniseries as well), and the second volume was a direct continuation rather than a reboot/relaunch. Warlord of Mars and Dejah Thoris are both running past 30 issues, with a special "#100" (adding all previous WoM-related numbers together) scheduled for April. Not to mention the many, many DE series that never made it to a 25th issue. DE's original Zorro series ran for only 20 issues, and was then replaced by Zorro Rides Again (12 issues), again a direct continuation (with the same writer). If there's a pattern here, there sure do seem to be a lot of exceptions to the rule.
            Yeah, I was looking through some of the stats and I can see they probably do not have that sort of system in place YET but maybe it is something they plan on doing down the line. From a business standpoint I get it because people are always willing to buy a number one, but from a story standpoint, especially with The Shadow, I am not sure it makes sense.
            It worked for me with The Lone Ranger because the first volume, while having some individual tales, was mostly devoted to one story. Renumbering after that storyline is over works because people CAN just jump on and not need to have read the earlier volume.
            The Shadow has yet to show anything along those lines so I am very curious to see if what Francavilla said is true. If it is, I wonder what will be next up and if it is not, I wonder where he got the idea from.
            Bring on the April solicitations!

Comment

• Roberson has been a huge boon to The Shadow comic. I hope whatever happens after issue 25, Dynamite decides to involve him. I think my favorite part of his arcs has been seeing how other people think about and perceive The Shadow.

Comment

Yeah, I was looking through some of the stats and I can see they probably do not have that sort of system in place YET but maybe it is something they plan on doing down the line. From a business standpoint I get it because people are always willing to buy a number one, but from a story standpoint, especially with The Shadow, I am not sure it makes sense.
                It worked for me with The Lone Ranger because the first volume, while having some individual tales, was mostly devoted to one story. Renumbering after that storyline is over works because people CAN just jump on and not need to have read the earlier volume.
                The Shadow has yet to show anything along those lines so I am very curious to see if what Francavilla said is true. If it is, I wonder what will be next up and if it is not, I wonder where he got the idea from.
                Bring on the April solicitations!
                Maybe it's just francavilla's final issue and someone else will handle covers or something? If DE cancels The Shadow like they did with The Spider and Miss Fury than I'm pretty much done with them. They never keep a good thing going and just axe off titles all the time, it's become something of a reputation that's gotten bigger than the compa itself.

Sure you can use the tired old "everyone is doing this" or talk about how it's "business" but it sucks and I'm tired of it.

Comment

• Well, according to this preview on comicvine (http://www.comicvine.com/articles/fi...r/1100-147963/) The Shadow is ending after 25. What is interesting to note is that they are putting out a Shadow one shot the same month so I have to imagine that come May we will see another series with The Shadow.
                  That being said, while I understand your negativity I do think that for the high quality Shadow stories we have been getting lately we should be grateful. They did this same thing with The Lone Ranger and the second volume has been solid in its own right so I personally plan to keep on supporting the titles as long as the quality remains.

Comment

• Well, according to this preview on comicvine (http://www.comicvine.com/articles/fi...r/1100-147963/) The Shadow is ending after 25. What is interesting to note is that they are putting out a Shadow one shot the same month so I have to imagine that come May we will see another series with The Shadow.
                    That being said, while I understand your negativity I do think that for the high quality Shadow stories we have been getting lately we should be grateful. They did this same thing with The Lone Ranger and the second volume has been solid in its own right so I personally plan to keep on supporting the titles as long as the quality remains.
                    Wow. Nice to see a new Flash Gordon #1, but SAD to see the endings of Mark Waid's Green Hornet (with #13), The Shadow (with #25), and The Shadow NOW (with #6, but we knew that)... and the next-to-last issue of Matt Wagner's The Shadow Year One (#9 of 10). Obviously, this isn't all of DE's titles for the month of April. I wonder if #100 of Warlord of Mars is the last issue for both ongoing WoM titles? By now, Dark Shadows, The Spider, Miss Fury, Bionic Man, Lone Ranger, Black Bat, and Vampirella are all gone as well (although I do get The Six Million Dollar Man as a replacement for Bionic Man). My Dynamite pull list is getting a lot shorter now... Just Doc Savage, Flash Gordon, Six Million Dollar Man, The Twilight Zone, and (the yet to be seen) Gold Key titles (and Vampirella Archives). And hey, whatever happened to Howard Chaykin's The Shadow: Mission to Moscow series?
                    Last edited by pulphero; 01-24-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadster View Post
                      Sure you can use the tired old "everyone is doing this" or talk about how it's "business" but it sucks and I'm tired of it.
                      Just think of all the unread back issues out there. I mean, what other solution is there but to quit reading new comics? You're never going to live in a perfect world where none of your favorite comics are ever cancelled. On the other hand, if you quit reading Dynamite titles, you become part of the problem, not part of the solution, so you're not helping the rest of us. But no one can force you to buy anything, just like no one can force anyone to buy the titles you like that get cancelled. You can't blame anyone for not reading comics they don't want to read, and you can't blame a company for not publishing comics that people don't buy. If you need an iron-clad guarantee of 'forever' before you'll commit to something you'd otherwise enjoy, you probably need to find a new hobby. Or just stick to the 'safe' ones: Superman, Batman, Justice League, Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers.

Where would we be if every comic book writer and artist that ever had a few of their own titles cancelled walked away from the business in disgust? Being a comics fan is a lot like having a religion - it's a faith-based system, and if no one believes, it just dies. But hey, if it's causing you more stress and frustration than enjoyment, you should absolutely quit. Who needs the aggro? No religion likes to lose its adherents, but birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, etc. If the whole experience is just too much like self-torture, you're better off preserving what's left of your mental health.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                        Just think of all the unread back issues out there. I mean, what other solution is there but to quit reading new comics? You're never going to live in a perfect world where none of your favorite comics are ever cancelled. On the other hand, if you quit reading Dynamite titles, you become part of the problem, not part of the solution, so you're not helping the rest of us. But no one can force you to buy anything, just like no one can force anyone to buy the titles you like that get cancelled. You can't blame anyone for not reading comics they don't want to read, and you can't blame a company for not publishing comics that people don't buy. If you need an iron-clad guarantee of 'forever' before you'll commit to something you'd otherwise enjoy, you probably need to find a new hobby. Or just stick to the 'safe' ones: Superman, Batman, Justice League, Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers.

Where would we be if every comic book writer and artist that ever had a few of their own titles cancelled walked away from the business in disgust? Being a comics fan is a lot like having a religion - it's a faith-based system, and if no one believes, it just dies. But hey, if it's causing you more stress and frustration than enjoyment, you should absolutely quit. Who needs the aggro? No religion likes to lose its adherents, but birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, etc. If the whole experience is just too much like self-torture, you're better off preserving what's left of your mental health.
                        I agree with you 100%.
                        But its still a darn shame when the books get cancelled.
                        Perhaps DE could look at bringing in a system where by,every story arc begins with a #1

If comic book fans get worked up over #1s then how about you have "The Shadow and the Electric League #1"
                        This would be a 7 issue run.
                        Then..... "The Shadow vs The Scorpion Queen #1" after our imaginary 7 parter.You keep the excitement for #1s going.You can get a roster of artists working on the titles and casual readers can jump on and off wherever they feel comfortable.

Anyone want to tell this to Nick
                        By the way...I just made up some titles...I have,nt written the stories.I,ll leave that to talented people.
                        But I,ll miss The Spider,Miss Fury,Mark Waids Green Hornet and the 2 Shadow books I get every month.
                        But I,m looking forward to seeing and buying,DE titles in the months and years ahead.

RALPH (UK).

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphtown View Post
                          I agree with you 100%.
                          But its still a darn shame when the books get cancelled.
                          Perhaps DE could look at bringing in a system where by,every story arc begins with a #1

If comic book fans get worked up over #1s then how about you have "The Shadow and the Electric League #1"
                          Then..... "The Shadow vs The Scorpion Queen #1" after our imaginary 7 parter.You keep the excitement for #1s going.You can get a roster of artists working on the titles and casual readers can jump on and off wherever they feel comfortable.

Anyone want to tell this to Nick
                          By the way...I just made up some titles...I have,nt written the stories.I,ll leave that to talented people.
                          But I,ll miss The Spider,Miss Fury,Mark Waids Green Hornet and the 2 Shadow books I get every month.
                          But I,m looking forward to seeing and buying,DE titles in the months and years ahead.

RALPH (UK).
                          I like your series of miniseries idea, it reminds me of the Hellboy model (and look how well that worked out).
                          I honestly believe The Shadow will be back with a new number one sometime this year. My guess is, May will see the publication of The Shadow/Grendel and then once that ends we will get another ongoing in The Shadow line.
                          That being said, I am curious as to what is going to happen with The Green Hornet as we have heard nothing about its future post-cancellation (miniseries or otherwise).

Comment

I like your series of miniseries idea, it reminds me of the Hellboy model (and look how well that worked out).
                            I honestly believe The Shadow will be back with a new number one sometime this year. My guess is, May will see the publication of The Shadow/Grendel and then once that ends we will get another ongoing in The Shadow line.
                            That being said, I am curious as to what is going to happen with The Green Hornet as we have heard nothing about its future post-cancellation (miniseries or otherwise).

I also agree that maybe DE needs to go with a series of mini-series approach. Unless you are one of the established big guys in the industry, customers seem to be fickle. Unlike myself that sticks with a character until cancellation, most consumers have a short attention span commitment to the non-big guys in the industry. Most comics loose readership after the first issue anyway with a steady decline in subsequent issues. With a mini-series approach that Pulphero posted/suggested, storylines will be emphasized and creative teams will be highlighted. I worry about Flash Gordon being an ongoing because of that steady decline. But if Flash was a mini followed by another mini or a mini from the Kings Feature stable (Phantom and Mandrake), there would be an initial splash of press coverage for the mini. Trades could be marketed from this plan.

Another plan would be to model after the old DCU's latest version of Jonah Hex--stand alone stories every issue with rare two-parters. Building an audience with assessable stories each month. Again, with this model, there will be some decline from not having the number one every so often.

Maybe DE could create an on-going Masks title? Yet modeled after old DCU's Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight with story arcs by different teams. With an on-going Masks, The Shadow could team up with someone for an arc, The Shadow Now could run an arc, The Spider for an arc, another team up for an arc, The Green Hornet Legacy for an arc, The Lone Ranger for an arc, Zorro for an arc, a follow up to Captain Action for an arc, the Phantom Chronicles etc. Some stand alone stories sprinkled in this rotation or characters and creative teams would be welcome. For us fans who like the pulp line, it would be fun to see these masked heroes of yesteryear and today on a regular monthly basis. If this proposed version of Masks would be successful, maybe a sister title called Action Icons (or something--maybe Thrillers?) featuring Lord of the Jungle, Doc Savage, Flash Gordon, Mandrake, Six Million Dollar Man, etc could be added?

Another option would be to have an anthology title. Masks as a 48 page monthly title, featuring the Shadow or Green Hornet as the lead in alternating solo stories and team ups, with back up features of other masked heroes giving more spotlight to normally overlooked but awesome pulp/radio/comic-strip/TV/movie-Serial characters (I like Miss Fury, Black Venus from Codename Action, and the Black Bat). Maybe provide an opportunity for new talent to showcase themselves in back up stories?

I do not think we have seen the last of the Shadow or Green Hornet, both of those licenses have made good sales for DE at certain points since DE published them. I remember when I saw that The Shadow #1 broke into the top 100 titles listing from Diamond Distribution Preview Catalog. Of course, I hope for more of The Spider and Doc Savage (supposedly an eight part story/mini).

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphtown View Post
                              And that's exactly how Dark Horse ran things when they had the Shadow license back in the 1990s. And how Millennium Comics ran things when they had the Doc Savage license. I happen to like that model. You can also hedge things a little by having a double-numbering system whereby you keep things straight in the indicia (or even on the cover if you choose) by including a whole number (adding together the cumulative numbers of all your miniseries). I think a system like that might tend to reduce some of the frustration people feel, by knowing the number of issues the company is committing to in advance.

Comment

• I wonder how much of this is due to lack of good artists and writers. They will be doing the Gold Key stuff and I expect more King Features characters. There are several Shadow books out at the same time. (Same with the Warlord of Mars for that matter). They may want to consolidate the pulp titles so they can put out quality titles with the new stuff.

ta

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                                X