The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kingcooger View Post
    I like your series of miniseries idea, it reminds me of the Hellboy model (and look how well that worked out).
    I'm all for that too. I'd be plenty happy to find out that there's a Black Bat mini starting shortly after the conclusion of the current book. But from Dynamite's point of view, I'm not sure that they're real confident about it. Noir and Codename Action don't appear to be selling very well (Masks started off hot, mind you...).

I enjoy both types of minis; about a specific character/team or an unusual collection like Masks or even Prophecy, about a bunch of characters I don't normally care much for.

As it is, Dynamite reinforces the image that they have a tendency to focus on the shiny new object (Gold Key) at the detriment of its other books. It wasn't long ago that we were very excited about "Pulp X" and now all those books are falling off the shelf. We all understand that sales dictate, but there seems to be little attempt to maintain sales on a book that's past issue three.

Comment

• I can't believe this. I just posted on another thread a couple of days ago how I was hoping The Shadow would continue due to its high quality. And now we hear it and Green Hornet are ending. I wonder what is up with Dynamite? They get a string title and end it prematurely like Shadow. I don't know what Dynamites plan is. Mini series are cool, but it doesn't sound like those are selling either. So is the bigger issue that Dynamite isn't selling anything?

I am really disappointed in Dynamite.

One other observation: the solicitations for The Shadow indicate zombies are part of a future arc. It seems anytime zombies get involved in a title, it heads for cancellation.

Comment

• For the most part, comic sales decrease as the series goes on. The Pulp licenses have to pay for themselves at least in order to be profitable. The sales figures I've seen on some of the pulp line have gotten pretty low.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
          the solicitations for The Shadow indicate zombies are part of a future arc. It seems anytime zombies get involved in a title, it heads for cancellation.
          Maybe, but The Spider's very first arc was "Terror of the Zombie Queen". Sure it was cancelled with issue #18, but I doubt if the zombies had anything to do with it. I expect The Shadow will encounter the the more traditional voodoo zombies, which are very different than the George Romero type that seem to be everywhere today. I can't remember if they (or a fake version of same) ever appeared in a Shadow novel, but I know there were Shadow radio episodes that had zombies, so this isn't completely out of character for the series. When they appeared in Green Hornet Legacy, they were out character for that series, since that character has always stuck to more realistic criminals. Also, the quality was sliding for about a year before the zombies made their appearance in GHL. Surprisingly for series that dealt with monsters and the supernatural of all types, no zombies were involved in the cancellation of either Dark Shadows or Vampirella.

And I would bet that we haven't seen the last of either The Shadow or The Green Hornet. For one thing, there's that Howard Chaykin "Mission to Moscow" series that still hasn't been scheduled...

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
          So is the bigger issue that Dynamite isn't selling anything?
          PUBLISHER MARKET SHARES (per Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc.)

Publisher......................................... ....Dollar Share.......Unit Share
          DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT YEAR 2010........2.65%................2.52%
          DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT YEAR 2011........3.06%................2.85%
          DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT YEAR 2012........3.11%................3.00%
          DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT YEAR 2013........2.75%................2.61%

Of course, this doesn't tell you what that dollar share is a percentage of, other than 'the total market' (for direct market retailers only). Marvel is #1, DC is #2, Image is #3, and Dark Horse and IDW fight a never-ending battle every month for the #4 slot. But given that the total comics market has actually shown slight increases in the last few years, Dynamite is actually doing OK. They've held on to the #6 position for 3 years, beating out other publishers such as Boom!, Eaglemoss, Viz, Avatar, Zenescope, Archie, Valiant, Fantagraphics, Aspen, Top Shelf, Bongo, and Oni Press.

Dynamite lost some market share in 2013 that they'd gained in 2011 and 2012, but they're still ahead of where they were in 2010. Competition has been tough in the last year. Yes, they're cancelling titles (and I'm not going to track exactly how many they cancelled in the last three years, but you can work out a ballpark figure for yourself), but they're always introducing new ones as well. Doc Savage just arrived last November, and four new Gold Key titles are due in the first half of 2014, plus The Six Million Dollar Man and a new Flash Gordon title. To some people that reads as 'unstable', to others, 'fluid and dynamic, responding to changing trends'. I'd be willing to bet that each title DE publishes goes through a similar arc or parabola, if we were to chart issue-to-issue sales on a graph. When each new title is fresh, there's a nice little hump, but they all eventually drop off to the point of cancellation.

Here's another thing that's telling. Sometimes things might seem a little dull on these forums, especially compared to the big boards on the major comic book news sites. But Dynamite fans, love to complain though we do, are actually comparatively pretty engaged with the content, and this forum has a pretty good activity rate. If you don't believe me, go check out the forums on IDW's and Dark Horse's websites... dead and deader. Amazingly so, considering both companies publish some good books and they have the #4 and #5 spots locked up. So even though more people are buying their books, those consumers have less to say than the sixth biggest publisher's fans.
          Last edited by pulphero; 01-26-2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Here's another thing that's telling. Sometimes things might seem a little dull on these forums, especially compared to the big boards on the major comic book news sites. But Dynamite fans, love to complain though we do, are actually comparatively pretty engaged with the content, and this forum has a pretty good activity rate. If you don't believe me, go check out the forums on IDW's and Dark Horse's websites... dead and deader. Amazingly so, considering both companies publish some good books and they have the #4 and #5 spots locked up. So even though more people are buying their books, those consumers have less to say than the sixth biggest publisher's fans.
            I agree that Dynamite fans are among the most passionate in the industry. I have seen lots of activity on the boards. I dont think it is all o even mostly negative. I know I have been very vocal about issues I disagree with (I believe I was one of the first who started screaming when GHL started slipping) but I have also commented on things going well. I think a lot of people posting are hoping that Dynamite actually reads and responds to the comments that are posted.

RE the Key characters and new Flash Gordon, I will have to wait and see. I am not familiar with the Key characters so will need to investigate. I have mixed feelings about Flash. I thought Zietgiest was one of the best titles I had seen in terms of both writing and art. It set a high bar. I was hoping for a continuation from the cliffhanger. The solicitation of the new title makes Flash sound like he is really full of himself (like maybe a Seattle Seahawks defensive back?). I will have to do more research before I get really excited about it.

Comment

• There's no need for the Shadow to be an ongoing series as it currently stands. There's no development between arcs, and the arcs aren't even chronological.

Now, if someone came in, introduced subplots and character development, and continued threads between storylines, then yes, an ongoing would make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                they're always introducing new ones as well. Doc Savage just arrived last November, and four new Gold Key titles are due in the first half of 2014, plus The Six Million Dollar Man and a new Flash Gordon title.
                Oops, seems I've forgotten a few things. I mention 7 new DE titles above, but somehow completely forgot to mention the first issues of The Twilight Zone and Legenderry, both of which shipped the last day in December 2013. Oh, and the "Li'L" series of one-shots, the announced-last-year-but-still-not-scheduled Howard Chaykin The Shadow: Midnight In Moscow, and the just-teased announcement of Joe Casey's Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers. So there's an even dozen new titles for DE in the first half of 2014.

And the first guy who says "Mini series don't count", gets it. Or rather, doesn't get it. As should be apparent by now, they are ALL (well, apart from Red Sonja* anyway) finite series. If not announced up front, they might end in a year, or two-and-a-half years, but they will end. Unless the unthinkable happens and Dynamite just stumbles upon the next Walking Dead.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
                *Red Sonja, it seems, as DE's first title ever, is grandmothered, institutionalized, bulletproof and sacrosanct, and will never be cancelled (except to make way for a new #1). Even though it sells no better than a dozen other titles DE has cancelled. Yeah, it got a nice bump with the Gail Simone hoopla, which will help for a while. But I think Nick just has a thing for Sonja...
                Last edited by pulphero; 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• while it aggravates me when Marvel and DC cancel a title only to relaunch it a few months later i don't mind so much with the smaller publishers. i love The Shadow but if it needs a shot in the arm to keep sales up then so be it.

Comment

• Final Issues: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Shadow?

Hmmm. I wonder what this means...?

http://captaincomics.ning.com/profil...-in-april-2014

THE LONE RANGER #25

Writer: Ande Parks

Artist: Esteve Polls

Covers: Francesco Francavilla

Teen + / 32 pages / $3.99

ON SALE DATE: April 16

FINAL ISSUE!!! The Lone Ranger and Tonto have sworn to serve justice in a harsh, often lawless landscape. Now, this landmark issue answers the question: are the most iconic heroes of the Old West really willing to die rather than kill? Guns will blaze on the Main Street of a small town, and the ultimate sacrifice will be made.

MARK WAID'S THE GREEN HORNET #13

Writer: Mark Waid

Art: Ronilson Freire

Covers: Paolo Rivera

Subscription variant cover: Jonathan Lau

FINAL ISSUE!!! The grand finale--and the ultimate victor stands bloodied but unbowed! Will it be Britt Reid--or the Green Hornet?

THE SHADOW #25

Writer: Chris Roberson

Artist: Giovanni Timpano

Main Cover: Alex Ross

Variant Cover: Dean Motter

Subscription variant cover: Dennis Calero

FINAL ISSUE!!! The Zombie Queen of Chinatown and her undead horde have the city in a death's grip, and the Shadow knows that he cannot defeat them alone. Only with the help of his entire network of aides and associates is there a chance that he can save the city.

Not counting an array of miniseries that already had clearly defined ends, of course.

Comment

• Take a look at "The Shadow Ending" thread in the Pulps forum. There has been quite a discussion.

Comment

• So do we all agree that The Pulp characters should be presented in mini-series format? Maybe 2 5 issues mini's per year?
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          So do we all agree that The Pulp characters should be presented in mini-series format? Maybe 2 5 issues mini's per year?
                          That would be great. Keep them alive.

Comment

• 10 issues a year for each character spread between 2 minis is such a good idea. Make it happen!
                            Last edited by comixfan1980; 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• It's a great idea! 8-10 issues spread over 2 different mini's would totally work. And work extremely well. That way there is no lag time and an opportunity to sell 2 #1's within a year's span.

PS: Sorry for the edit on your post. Major spelling error.
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• CEO/Publisher

If only I could confirm or deny an announcement that we'll be making.

ARGH.

Wish I could.

Wait, did I just announce that there may be an announcement?

Comment

Working...
                                X