• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preview of #1

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37543

Not entirely sure what to think...

Comment

I'm definitely giving this a try. Ennis seems like the perfect fit for it.

Comment

I would say that, if anything, Aaron Campbell's work on the preview pages looks to be even better than his work on Green Hornet Year One. I know that it's far too early to be thinking about this, but I hope we may see a team-up between the two characters a year or two down the road.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
          Uh-oh, I may just have to withdraw my defense of Garth Ennis' comments on The Shadow. I've just now gotten around to reading the article in last Wednesday's COMIC SHOP NEWS. I would have read it sooner but figured I probably already read this same info online. Wrong.

Seems that Ennis' entire research for The Shadow consisted of reading DC's 1980s series by Howard Chaykin and the earlier 1970s series by Denny O'Neil and Mike Kaluta. That's it. OK, I can appreciate that reading all of the 325 Shadow novels is a daunting task. Or even just the 282 novels written by Walter Gibson, his creator. But not even a half-dozen or so of the better ones, now easily available? Or failing that, at minimum, reading Walter Gibson's The Shadow Scrapbook and/or Will Murray's Duende History of The Shadow Magazine, both of which give a concise summary of the character and his history?

Back to having a shaky feeling about this...
          No offence, but why would a working writer commit a substantial amount of his own time to reading a couple of hundred novels he may have no personal interest in, as research for a series of comic books? It's a different medium, so really all the research he needed to do was read the comics. That's what most readers will be using as a benchmark after all. If he'd read the original books, I'd say that was a worthy effort, above and beyond the call of duty. But he was under no obligation. I can appreciate that you're heavily into the Shadow novels, but the percentage of prospective readers of the new series who'll have ever read them is comparatively small.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
            No offence, but why would a working writer commit a substantial amount of his own time to reading a couple of hundred novels he may have no personal interest in, as research for a series of comic books? It's a different medium, so really all the research he needed to do was read the comics. That's what most readers will be using as a benchmark after all. If he'd read the original books, I'd say that was a worthy effort, above and beyond the call of duty. But he was under no obligation. I can appreciate that you're heavily into the Shadow novels, but the percentage of prospective readers of the new series who'll have ever read them is comparatively small.
            At least read a couple of the novels. Maybe skim a few more. That way your not just going on some one else's vision of the character. As I remember toward the end the comic started to get pretty far from original novels.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Everything depends on sales, of course, but I get the feeling that (unlike The Boys) there's no real commitment to this book on Ennis' part. More of a lark, really... he just thought it would be fun to do a Shadow story. Howard Chaykin had much the same attitude when he did his Shadow story. I'd be frankly surprised to see him continue on the book past the first story arc. Best we can hope for is that whomever is his replacement will be more invested in the character and have a greater reverence for the original pulps. Why not hire Will Murray?
              Last edited by positronic; 03-17-2012, 12:48 AM.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

While I'm interested to see what Ennis will do (as I really like his work), if he's only on for one arc, then I'd like to see someone such as Azzarello take a crack at him. For this to get off the ground and last they need to bring on board some writers who will interpret the character in a new fashion (like Az has been doing with Wonder Woman and Chaykin did with the Shadow back in the '80's). While I LOVED Green Hornet Year One, I'm not sure the retro stories that are completely faithful to the character will find their place in today's market. I also wouldn't mind seeing Francesco Francavilla do an arc or two, given that he seems to like the character.

(And it's hard to draw any conclusion from those preview pages given the lack of text. The art's pretty tremendous though).

Comment

Ugh. Based on what Azarello did with DC's First Wave, which was supposed to be their pulp homage, please keep him as far away from the Shadow as possible. 100 Bullets was great; First Wave, not so much.

Comment

Ugh. Based on what Azarello did with DC's First Wave, which was supposed to be their pulp homage, please keep him as far away from the Shadow as possible. 100 Bullets was great; First Wave, not so much.
                    Good point. I'd actually blocked that whole thing from my mind. (Although the First Wave series itself wasn't so bad so much as the related books - esp Doc Savage - which were horribly done)

I'd also say Rucka or Brubaker would be perfect fits for the character, but I think Rucka's "slow slimmer" storylines might be offputting for a lot of readers, while I'm not sure Brubaker would have the time. Maybe Lapham too.

Comment

Actually, The Spirit turned out to be the only gem in the First Wave bunch. Written by David Hine and Mark Schultz, with art by Moritat. Possibly even better than the previous Darwyn Cooke-written series. The Batman/Doc Savage crossover one-shot wasn't bad, but the Azarello/Morales First Wave series was just confusing and hard to follow. And agreed, the Doc Savage book was just terrible (but with awesome covers). The Avenger backups were awful, just a waste of space.

I wouldn't mind seeing DC take another shot at this, as sort of a hybrid of the First Wave concept together with Sandman Mystery Theater. There's really no need for DC to license characters, since they already have a number of pulp-like characters that would work well in a universe set in the late 1930s/early 1940s: Bat-Man, Sandman, Crimson Avenger, Black Canary, Doctor Mid-Nite, Phantom Lady, Slam Bradley, Doctor Occult, The Phantom Stranger, possibly even the early Blue Beetle.
                      Last edited by positronic; 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I'm a big Doc Savage fan and was disapointed with the first wave series. I'd like to see him land somewhere but I'm not sure my first choice would be Dynamite. They seem to be over extended and tend to have scheduling problems.
                        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Just to get back to talking about the Shadow -- like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing Lapham try his hand at the character. And, now that I think about it, Mike Mignola would be interesting to see give it a go (though I doubt that would ever happen).

Comment

How about giving the Shadow his own forum?

Comment

I'm sure it's coming, as soon as the book is actually published.

Comment

I'm sure it's coming, as soon as the book is actually published.
                                Yeah. Right. Which is why the Dark Shadows forum has been buzzing lately...

Comment

Working...
                                X