The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow #2

A little more background and a good bit of action. Margo is definitly not a piece of fluff and i'm not sure what to make of the bit with the pilot. All in all a good issue.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

It was okay, a bit boring and not a lot of "The Shadow" going on in this issue but it was pretty enjoyable as a whole. I hope to see more of The Shadow and less Cranston in issue #3.

Comment

I've had this since last Friday anf I really enjoyed it but like with other reviews I've read online I think it suffered from too much chit-chat and not enough of the iconic Shadow appearing within these pages. Other than that, I really dug it and am siked for the third issue in the series!
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

The only bit that bothered me was the reference to Cranston/Allard's past and need for redemption. Nice to see the name check for Kent Allard, but wish Ennis had left out the idea (an invention of Howard Chaykin's, later adopted by the movie) that The Shadow "knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men" because he used to be evil himself. Not even sure if Ennis' realized that this was entirely a Chaykin idea from the 1980s. Hope to see no more about that particular subject.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I enjoyed the issue quite a bit, it got a little boring for a second but picked up nicely toward the middle/end of the book, but all in all it was a good issue. I'm loving Lamont Cranston as a character, he's fresh and really interesting to me and I'm kind of digging that The Shadow does indeed have some "powers".

Great stuff, DE!

Comment

Good continuation from issue #1, enjoying the story a lot and I love the ring The Shadow is wearing, the fact that he has powers is kind of cool because a lot of these pulp heroes dont.

Keep it up Dynamite, The Shadow's a hit with your fans!

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the pulps, so i was eager to see what the comic would be like. REALLY happy with it so far. I'm glad the first issue did well. Hopefully it's around for a long time. When will #2 be out?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMicrozone View Post
                  I'm a huge fan of the pulps, so i was eager to see what the comic would be like. REALLY happy with it so far. I'm glad the first issue did well. Hopefully it's around for a long time. When will #2 be out?
                  I believe #2 will be out the first Wednesday of June, but I'm not entirely sure....

I believe the first issue came out the first week of this month so it essentially should be the first week of June, but you never know. I'm definitely pumped up for the 2nd issue though, I've read the firstone like 8 times already and am primed for #2 to hit stands soon.

Comment

Issue #2 is looking like the 6th of June

Comment

Want to re-iterate that I hope Dynamite will consider reprinting other runs on the character than Chaykin's. Really would like to see new volumes of the Kaluata work, as well as the things done by Dark Horse during the '90's.

Also, was just thinking about this, for the folks at Conde Naste (or whoever holds the rights), if they wanted to try to reintroduce the character in a way that will broaden his recognition with the younger crowd, then they should consider coming up with a video game. A set piece in the pre-war period that mixes a mystery with first person action could potentially be amazing (if done right). Just a suggestion.

Anyways, here's hoping they reprint other material at least.

Comment

I know I am probably in the minority but. . . Shadow and Spider

Here goes:

I usually wait for the trades but I had to cheat and pick up an issue of Shadow. To be honest I was disappointed. I am one of those who likes his heroes to be Heroic and the shadow often comes across as no better than the people he is fighting. Reading online I found that the Spider is being written the same way. Now I find myself thinking it would have been better if one of dynamite's fedora wearing noir heroes (ideally shadow) got portrayed in a more positive/heroic way. I know in a few interpretations the shadow kills and that is not even the issue for me. What I don't like is how he comes across as borderline psychotic. I will probably get flak for saying I was hoping for a version more in line with the Alec Baldwin film where he still fights and even uses guns but still comes across as a good guy. Even in the original radio serials the Shadow was not such a violent character.

I cannot speak to the Spider because I have no prior knowledge of the character but since dynamite is doing both books at once would it not make sense to differentiate by making one more heroic and the other more anti heroic.

Oh well, I guess I will wait for Mandrake and hope that he lives up to my expectations.

Comment

While the Shadow was always rather bland on the radio (more drawing room mystery than vigilante hero), neither character has ever that sort of boy scout hero in the pulps, or in any of the previous comic adaptions. The Spider was even less "boy scout"-ish than the Shadow. He was a proto-Batman and Punisher type hero, and has been since his third pulp novel in 1933. Dynamite would have been foolish to change either of them drastically from what made them popular to audiences at the time or to readers since who still clamor for reprints of their pulp novels.

Given how the two biggest "boy scout" heroes out there, Captain America and Superman, both needed drastic revamps away from that image to even sell to modern readers, Dynamite would have been double foolish in that sort or revamp. It'd be like going to the trouble of getting the Voltron license and only using the vehicle team (or WORSE the THIRD Voltron team than never made it to American TV), when that's not what V-fans want.

Comment

I'd love to see DE do more reprint material. Given that a lot of their franchises involve classic heroes, you'd think there would be quite a bit of reprint material available. Dark Horse and IDW have both had some success in reprinting older stuff, from classic newspaper comic strips, to Golden and Silver Age comics. Unfortunately, when DE took a stab at reprinting the Golden Age Green Hornet Remastered, it sold pretty poorly. I think their mistake was in doing it as a regular comic instead of just presenting it as a deluxe hardcover reprint from the get-go. Wish they'd start an "Archives/Masterworks"-type program. Other than a few artist-centric books, DE really hasn't tapped the market for deluxe hardcover reprint volumes yet.

The Shadow is copyrighted by Advance Magazine Publishers, Inc.

I doubt you'll see a Shadow video game unless Sam Raimi gets his Shadow movie off the ground.
                            Last edited by positronic; 05-28-2012, 05:24 AM.
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I didn't get "borderline psychotic" from The Shadow. That may be a legitimate assessment of The Spider, though. On the other hand, as with The Punisher, there's never any question that these criminals would kill our protagonist in a heartbeat if they could, and The Shadow isn't going to weep any crocodile tears over blowing them away. He doesn't take any particular sadistic thrill out of killing them, either. It can also be said that the "borderline psychotic" thing is exactly what makes The Spider interesting to his fans.
                              Last edited by positronic; 05-28-2012, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Wow, someone who was actually disappointed by The Shadow....this is the first I've read of someone who didn't enjoy it. I guess it just goes to show that you can't please everyone, but you never know, maybe the next story arc will hook you in once things are established? Any which way, I love the book and find both The Shadow and The Spider to be some of the beck kick-off issues I've read in quite some time and I definitely plan on sticking with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X