The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shadow #4

I'm sorry to say this but man.....this issue was a drag. Aside from the very beginning The Shadow basically didn't truly appear in this one and the story was basically a tale of stuff that happened a long time ago, not that it was a bad story but it was kind of boring to read and there was so many word bubbles on each page that this issue took quite a while to read. The ending was pretty cool, but other than that I was fairly bored with this issue and I'm hoping that the 5th issue is a lot more enjoyable than the 4th.

What did you guys think?

Comment

• I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the origin of the Shadow and sneak peak in Kent Allard's past. I'd really like to see exactly how he was redeemed and converted into the man he is today. The cliffhanger with the U.S. striking mines was pretty exciting and I'm looking forward to next issue.

Manga4Life, you mention that you thought there were too many word balloons. Actually, I appreciated the fact that this issue wasn't a quick, breezy read. I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.

Comment

• I guess I'm on the other side of the fence because I appreciate the fact that we're being given an origin to the Shadow. It gives the lead character more depth. The fact that Allard/Cranston was once an evil man himself who has been redeemed, turning his darker energies against others who would do evil gives him an interesting dynamic.

As far as the "mystery" of the Shadow's origin is concerned, his supporting cast and enemies don't truly know the whole story. Who's to say that the men telling the tale of Allard's origin are true anyway? It could be just one of many legends surrounding the Shadow.

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
          I just re-read this issue yesterday as I'm getting primed for the Masks series from Dynamite, and man.....what an issue! Why is NOBODY on here talking about this book anymore? Did everyone already jump off the ship or something?
          I certainly am enjoying THE SHADOW and I'm more than happy to be here to discuss the character with everyone. I've already posted comments regarding the Shadow's origin in another thread and I'm looking forward to discussing future issues as they're released. Not only am I enjoying this current story, I'm looking forward to the next story arc, the annual issue, and the MASKS mini-series!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gorn Identity View Post
            As far as the "mystery" of the Shadow's origin is concerned, his supporting cast and enemies don't truly know the whole story. Who's to say that the men telling the tale of Allard's origin are true anyway? It could be just one of many legends surrounding the Shadow.
            Frankly, I don't expect that Ennis was being that subtle and trying to divert the reader with a twist like that. But now that you mention it, if the "origin" that Kondo thinks he knows just turns out to be a mind game manipulation of The Shadow's, that would be awesome.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
              Frankly, I don't expect that Ennis was being that subtle and trying to divert the reader with a twist like that. But now that you mention it, if the "origin" that Kondo thinks he knows just turns out to be a mind game manipulation of The Shadow's, that would be awesome.
              As I was reading this issue, I was thinking to myself, "How the Hell would Kondo truly know the Shadow's origin?" I think it's more just supposition on his part. There's definitely some ambiguity in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gorn Identity View Post
                I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the origin of the Shadow and sneak peak in Kent Allard's past. I'd really like to see exactly how he was redeemed and converted into the man he is today. The cliffhanger with the U.S. striking mines was pretty exciting and I'm looking forward to next issue.

Manga4Life, you mention that you thought there were too many word balloons. Actually, I appreciated the fact that this issue wasn't a quick, breezy read. I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.
                I like a good story as much as the next guy, but I don't know.....I just wasn't feeling this one overall. Garth Ennis tends to do this every now and again in his books and it's not always a bad thing, I think I was just more or less in the mood for some action on The Shadow's part, but again I didn't hate this issue. Overall I just felt that it was a bit of a grind to read through this month, no biggie though since it was the first issue of The Shadow that was like that for me.

Comment

• Threads merged to keep things streamlined.

I personally enjoyed issue 4 and enjoyed some of the backstory of things, but I did feel it was a tad bit "grindy" and that the art was pretty rough. I was able to sit through it though and was treated to a fun story with an explosive ending, lol explosive.....see what I did there folks? Well, it was fine and I'm definitely pumped up for issue #5, but I have to admit that The Spider #4 destroyed Shadow #4.
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                    ...I think I was just more or less in the mood for some action on The Shadow's part, but again I didn't hate this issue. Overall I just felt that it was a bit of a grind to read through this month, no biggie though since it was the first issue of The Shadow that was like that for me.
                    Can't argue that this issue was quite a bit light on Shadow appearances. Still a good read, in my view. Next month's issue promises to be much more action-packed.

Comment

• Slightly (but not totally) off-topic, there's an ad in this week's DE comics announcing the new creative team on The Shadow (beginning with issue #7). The new writer is Victor Gischler (X-Men), while the new artist is Jack Herbert (Kirby: Genesis). Joining the team of cover artists Alex Ross, John Cassaday, and Franchesco Francavilla is Darwyn Cooke (DC: The New Frontier, Parker). Not too familiar with Gischler's writing, but loved Jack Herbert's work on KG and can't wait to see how he handles such completely different subject matter.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Victor was writing X-Men when the whole Heroic Age thing was happening at Marvel and it was actually quite good, he had a terrible artist though and it really hurt the book overall (in my opinion) so having Herbert should help him out in that aspect. Overall he isn't a bad writer and will most likely do the book justice, it sucks that Ennis is off the title with #7 though....

Comment

• Sounds like a good jumping off point actually.

Comment

• For me issue four was an interesting look to the past with an eye on the future. I liked taking a trip back and seeing what happened before and Ennis really did make me care for the characters more, too bad he's leaving the book soon. I like the art but I'm happy about the new artist who's head and shoulders better than the current one.

Comment

• I can't find a copy of issue 3. I started collecting it about a week or so after issue 3 came out, I found issues 1 and 2 no problem, but both my comic stores were sold out of issue 3 and had issue 3 on back-order from Dynamite Comics. Now, it's very unlikely that the order will get filled. I have issue 4, but I'm kind of waiting for issue 3 before I read it.

Girr.

Hate to just buy 1 comic online and pay as much for shipping as the comic.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get ahold of issue 3? Or at least read it?

Tracy

Comment

• Originally posted by skyorbit View Post
                                I can't find a copy of issue 3. I started collecting it about a week or so after issue 3 came out, I found issues 1 and 2 no problem, but both my comic stores were sold out of issue 3 and had issue 3 on back-order from Dynamite Comics. Now, it's very unlikely that the order will get filled. I have issue 4, but I'm kind of waiting for issue 3 before I read it.

Girr.

Hate to just buy 1 comic online and pay as much for shipping as the comic.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get ahold of issue 3? Or at least read it?

Tracy
                                Try another comic book store, if they don't have it and if you still can't find it then just order it from Midtowncomics.com or Mycomicshop.com.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Working...
                                X