The Shadow: Year One MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    I hope its better then Green Hornet Year One.
    Sorry to hear you didn't like it. Not sure what you were expecting. Possibly comparing it to Ron Fortier's Now Comics original Green Hornet? I admit what he did with the generational thing was pretty slick. How did you feel it was lacking?
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Never read Green Hornet before (well seriously). It was well written and drawn but it was 4 issues too long.

Comment

Green Hornet Year One was my favorite

Zorro Year One was also excellent

Still hopping for

- Green Lama Year One (Old Pulp classic befor Comics)
        - The Spider Year One (with the popular Pulp design and not the serial)
        - Daredevil Year One (THE DEATH-DEFYING DEVIL)
        - Pyroman Year One (from Project Superpowers)
        - V-Man Year One (from Project Superpowers)

and of others of Project Superpowers

Last edited by Renaud; 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome and since its not ongoing I may buy it in hopes Dynamite finishes it. We shall see.

Comment

Matt Wagner?

I have a question for those of you familiar with Wagner's work. I'm just getting back into comics as an adult and a lot of these names are new to me. The only comic I've read that was written by Matt Wagner was The Tower Chronicles and it was horrid. I have nothing to compare it to and it may just be that Mr. Wagner was too busy with other projects (he seems to be a busy man) to really put any effort into this graphic novel, but the story felt rushed and generic and the dialogue was painfully bad. I finished Book 1 just because I had already started it but I really didn't have the desire to. And I certainly won't be investing any more time or money into the next books.

I was looking forward to this title, having been exposed to The Shadow in Masks for the first time (and the rest of Dynamite's Pulp characters). But I'm a little hesitant seeing that it's going to be written by Matt Wagner given my very limited experience with his work. So was The Tower Chronicles an anomaly in his work? Are there better examples that I can have a look at before committing to this series?

Comment

Matt Wagner's work for Dynamite's pulp titles has been very good. Both Zorro and Green Hornet Year One series' by him are highly recommended. Also, his run on Sandman Mystery Theater is classic.

Comment

Yeah, I've loved 99% of everything I've read that Matt Wagner wrote. GRENDEL, MAGE, SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE (a better comic than Gaiman's SANDMAN, IMO), THE DEMON mini-series from the '80s, GREEN HORNET YEAR ONE, ZORRO & ZORRO RIDES AGAIN, BATMAN:FACES (from LOTDK), the DR. MIDNITE prestige format mini, the two fairly recent Batman minis (BATMAN & THE MONSTER MEN & BATMAN & THE MAD MONK), both BATMAN/GRENDEL minis...
                My only complaint with Matt Wagner is that he needs to write and/or draw even more comics!

Comment

Did you get his Madame Xanadu series?

Comment

Shadow: Year One #1

Kinda surprised no one is talking about this yet.

Complains first...the art was a bit uneven. Don't get me wrong, overall I liked Wilfredo's style and everything. Let's take page 17 for example though (where Lamont/Kent/Shadow first meets Margo at the party). The first panel Margo looks great, but look at the background. The woman on the right inexplicably has eyes and eyebrows, but no mouth or nose. I prefer more detailed background's generally, but if you're gonna leave things in the background undetailed, do it consistently at least please! The grey haired woman to the left of the panel has no face at all and I'd prefer it that way. I can't help being drawn to this weird half-faced woman when I look at that otherwise great panel. Moving onto the next panel of that page, Margo suddenly looks very different. She looks almost Sarah Jessica parker-ish in the face out of nowhere. This kind of inconsistency takes away a bit from the issue overall.

Besides that, though, I thought this was a good start to the series. Wagner has a way of weaving a story, as always. I like how he dropped in subtle references to things like Lamont's Mandarin name from Chaykin's Blood & Judgement. It seems, so far, like this may be more of a true year one tale rather than an origin story. Sure, we are seeing the origin of agents, but will we see how The Shadow got his powers? I would be ok with this being left at least somewhat of a mystery still.

Comment

Haven't been able to pick up comics in a bit (issues with my tax return...fun!) but I look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
                        Yeah, I've loved 99% of everything I've read that Matt Wagner wrote. GRENDEL, MAGE, SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE (a better comic than Gaiman's SANDMAN, IMO), THE DEMON mini-series from the '80s, GREEN HORNET YEAR ONE, ZORRO & ZORRO RIDES AGAIN, BATMAN:FACES (from LOTDK), the DR. MIDNITE prestige format mini, the two fairly recent Batman minis (BATMAN & THE MONSTER MEN & BATMAN & THE MAD MONK), both BATMAN/GRENDEL minis...
                        My only complaint with Matt Wagner is that he needs to write and/or draw even more comics!
                        I wish DC would complete the Sandman Mystery Theatre TP collection (for lack of better quality HC Omnibus) so far I got all the volumes available, and it's all great

Maybe we could get a

GREEN LAMA MYSTERY THEATRE :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
                          I wish DC would complete the Sandman Mystery Theatre TP collection (for lack of better quality HC Omnibus) so far I got all the volumes available, and it's all great

Maybe we could get a

GREEN LAMA MYSTERY THEATRE :-)
                          I would buy the crap out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                            Did you get his Madame Xanadu series?
                            No, and thank you for reminding me. I need to hunt those down.

Comment

Be Warned

Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
                              No, and thank you for reminding me. I need to hunt those down.
                              My LCBS told me that a lot of the "early Stuff" is going out of print. I was looking to finish off the Checkmate series at their sale this weekend but . . .
                              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Year One was a fun read, I read the first issue the other day and really enjoyed it and felt it was crafted pretty well. I still prefer the core book of course, but this has the potential to win a lot of people over and I feel as if Wagner really "gets" his readers.

Fun read!
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Working...
                                X