No announcement yet.

The Shadow: Year One MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great storytelling showing how The Shadow literally became The Shadow, this is exactly what I wanted to see happen and I finally got it! The art was so-so, but man.....the story really dragged me in and I feel as if this Wagner written series is going to be every bit as good as his Green Hornet: Year One tale. All in all I loved the book, I loved seeing his make-shift outfit and his way of doing things early on, I seriously can't wait for more!

Comment

good issue, Im really takig to the shadow since dynamite got him, had no idea who he was before hand and didn't care. Dynamite has a way of making me and others love characters for the first time and this was a great origin story and i loved the ending.

Comment

I really like how people have finally taken to The Shadow, he's always been a character that I've been interested in learning more about but never gave him the chance until Dynamite started publishing him and now that I'm hooked on the Dynamite version I could care less about any past iterations of him. Dynamite has an uncanny way of making me care about characters I've never given two squirts about before, this goes for the entire Superpowers line, Kirby line, Warlord of Mars books, Tarzan, The Phantom, Green Hornet, Vampirella, and now the pulp heroes, it's really quite interesting how they have this power over me to do this.

The Shadow has been a great series and Year One is off to a huge bang, what a wonderful story this has been.

Comment

When does issue #2 come out??

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteowl View Post
            When does issue #2 come out??
            On sale April 17.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow Year One #2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	48764
            Last edited by positronic; 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

The Shadow: Year One #2

Good issue, nothing ground breaking but this origin story has been very enjoyable so far. The art in issue #2 irked me a bit, but as a whole the story was enjoyable and I felt it was well done overall.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I got this today early and under the table from my local guy who hooks me up and I've got to say, I was VERY disappointed in this issue. The art was absolutely terrible, the dialogue was cheesy, and the story had absolutely no direction whatsoever. Sadly, only the final 3 pages or so were good and the book just wasn't that good at all....

Hopefully issue #3 rebounds.

Comment

Is it the same artist as #1?

Comment

Same artist - Wilfredo Torres. While I would not call the artwork here bad, I vastly prefer the detail of Aaron Campbell over on the regular Shadow book (although it appears he may be leaving that book as well).

This was my favorite DE Shadow comic book so far, story/writing wise. It was nice to see Wagner making a distinction between the Cranston and Shadow personas, something I find lacking in the regular book. Undoubtedly this issue was a disappointment for some people because The Shadow only appears in costume on the last page and they felt shortchanged, but it is an origin story of sorts after all.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

On second read through it was a lot better, I especially liked the scene where he got the idea for his alter-ego from that woman at the party. All in all issue #2 wasn't all that bad I suppose, I just think issue #3 will pick up now that The Shadow is.....The Shadow, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Regarding The Shadow's dialogue...

Is it over-the-top melodramatic? Yeah, but it's supposed to be. This is the guy who goes around saying things like "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit!" A dry reading of it is just going to come off as stilted, but you have to have heard the old radio show and try to dramatize it in your mind in that mode, chilling voice, vibrato filter microphone effect and all, but delivered with absolute conviction. While I don't think the dialogue is 100% dialed-in to where I'd like it to be just yet, at least it's clear what Wagner is aiming for, with The Shadow persona going for the creepy and awe-inspiring, while the Cranston persona affects the cultured-but-bored dilettante approach. Which is exactly as it should be. As the Shadow, he still appears to be somewhat on the bloodthirsty side, while I think a proper reading of that persona should give you an "always-justifiable" homicidal approach. It's an admittedly tricky balance to pull off.

On further consideration, I suppose it's just possible that the not-quite-there-yet feel of The Shadow's dialogue is purposeful on Wagner's part, trying to show Allard's struggle to perfect his "character" in his new war on crime.
                        Last edited by positronic; 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                          Regarding The Shadow's dialogue...

Is it over-the-top melodramatic? Yeah, but it's supposed to be. This is the guy who goes around saying things like "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit!" A dry reading of it is just going to come off as stilted, but you have to have heard the old radio show and try to dramatize it in your mind in that mode, chilling voice, vibrato filter microphone effect and all, but delivered with absolute conviction. While I don't think the dialogue is 100% dialed-in to where I'd like it to be just yet, at least it's clear what Wagner is aiming for, with The Shadow persona going for the creepy and awe-inspiring, while the Cranston persona affects the cultured-but-bored dilettante approach. Which is exactly as it should be. As the Shadow, he still appears to be somewhat on the bloodthirsty side, while I think a proper reading of that persona should give you an "always-justifiable" homicidal approach. It's an admittedly tricky balance to pull off.
                          I think the 3rd issue will pretty much rock, especially now that he's The Shadow in persona and in costume.

Question: Where in MA do you get your comics?

Comment

Larry's Comics in Lowell.

Comment

Great story but terrible art in issue number 2. I loved Margo in this issue and seeing Lamont become the shadow for the first time was epic.

Comment

Whew, groggy this morning... I played the Pulp Comics Drinking game last night with this issue. Drink anytime a mook says "youse".

I think I blacked out somewhere around page 6.

Comment

Working...
                                X