The Shadow: Year One MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beezer View Post
    Whew, groggy this morning... I played the Pulp Comics Drinking game last night with this issue. Drink anytime a mook says "youse".

I think I blacked out somewhere around page 6.
    lol! ya lousy mook!

Comment

The Shadow: Year One all emcompassing thread

Instead of having multiple threads for this book I figured we could discuss it as a whole within this thread? Anyone agree? Well, the first two issues were good and issue #3 hit today so I bought it and liked it a lot, but I felt issue #2 was still the best in the series yet. Issue #3 had a little less action and a lot more talking in it, but it was enjoyable and offered some good humor as well as some intense scenes as a whole.

Comment

Really enjoying it so far. The art on this book is really, really fantastic, too.

Comment

HATE the art, love the writing. Overall my opinion on this book is fine but it isn't the top tier book that it's counterpart is, it's a fun title though and deserves some praise. I preferred Green Hornet: Year One to The Shadow: Year One, though....

I think the art is just what's really hurting it for me, sadly.

Comment

WHAAAAT?

How could you hate the artwork? It's crisp and smooth and the colors are really well done.

To each his own, I guess. I think it's some of the best art I've seen in a Dynamite book, actually.

Comment

I'm quite enjoying Year One so far and thought issue 3 really kicked things into high gear. I'm loving the art by Torres (...would love the original art for his Variant cover he did for issue 3). His style reminds me of a lesser detailed version of Charles Burns and his portraits he did for The Believer magazine, but in a totally awesome way. I also think Wagner's son Brennan is doing a 'bang-up' job as colorist.

I'm looking forward to seeing this series progress and was glad to hear that it will be going 10 issues.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
                WHAAAAT?

How could you hate the artwork? It's crisp and smooth and the colors are really well done.

To each his own, I guess. I think it's some of the best art I've seen in a Dynamite book, actually.
                Totally agree about the art - Wagner got me to the party, but Torres' art is the reason I'm staying. I think Dynamite has an excellent artist/colorist duo on this title!

Comment

I like Torres, but he's no Campbell or Giovanni, not by a long shot. But he's okay and I dig The Shadow: Year One, it's a fun origin book and it's great to see how he got to where he is today.

Comment

Is The Shadow-Year One #4 in stores yet??

RALPH.

Comment

I like the art and the story isn't bad either. This is Wagner's third go around on showing the early days of pulp heroes (Zorro, Green Hornet, now the Shadow) so he has the hang of things. I'm glad he didn't decide to have the Shadow work his way up the ranks of the criminal enterprise he is fighting, like he did with Zorro and The Green Hornet. That would have been too repetitive.

Originally posted by ralphtown View Post
                      Is The Shadow-Year One #4 in stores yet??

RALPH.
                      No it isn't in stores yet.
                      Last edited by PulpCrazy; 06-15-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Cheers bud

RALPH.

Comment

This definitely isn't as strong for me as the regular monthly book of The Shadow that Dynamite publishes, but it's a fun read and something I look forward to. I like seeing the origin tale being told and I'm really liking Wagner's version of the character unfold before my eyes, it will be fun to personally connect it to the ongoing monthly and try to piece it all together, I love that kind of stuff. But like others have said, the art for me has been the one piece of this book that has really made me cringe. Unfortunately it just isn't my style.

Comment

Well, I've actually decided to drop this book sadly. I just can't get past the art, which I view as really bad, and the story is too slow for me as well. The core Shadow book trumps this Year One title 10 fold.

Comment

Yeah Ive been enjoying it, but really thought the last issue wasnt as good. #1 was still the best for me. Not a huge fan of the art either. Not that it's bad, just not great. I think I may drop it in favor of Green Hornet/Shadow: Dark Nights. Cant afford both.

Comment

The Shadow: Year One" #6 cover by Chris Samnee made CBR's Cover of the Week!

The Shadow: Year One" #6 cover by Chris Samnee made CBR's Cover of the Week!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=48901

Comment

Working...
                                X