The Black Bat series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    I was going to say the same thing about Bendis... but why rain on someone else's parade, since neither of these possibilities is a realistic source of worry.
    Lol...For the nothing that it's worth, I also (usually) love Johns and detest Bendis. Different strokes, I guess...

At the end of the day, I'd just like to know the plan. I know sales figures are not particularly reliable, and are not the single factor that determines whether a title continues, but Fury was doing OK compared to other titles that continue on. Meanwhile, Black Bat...

363 Pathfinder Goblins..................................4,655
    364 Vampirella Southern Gothic......................4,593
    370 Black Bat..............................................4 ,350
    387 Jennifer Blood........................................3,796
    388 Vampirella/Eva/Dracula Halloween Special...3,781
    389 Owl 4................................................. 3,780
    390 Army of Darkness/Reanimator One Shot......3,751
    399 The Spider 15.......................................3,515

Miss Fury sold a shade over 7000 in September (I can't find the book in the October sales chart) and Hornet sold about 6300.

So personally, I think both books with end at 12 until someone else comes up with an idea for a book that includes these characters. The only thing that makes me doubt that is that some books have been hovering around those sale totals (like Jennifer Blood and the Vampirella ongoing) for some time and have lasted 30+ issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
      Lol...For the nothing that it's worth, I also (usually) love Johns and detest Bendis. Different strokes, I guess...

At the end of the day, I'd just like to know the plan. I know sales figures are not particularly reliable, and are not the single factor that determines whether a title continues, but Fury was doing OK compared to other titles that continue on. Meanwhile, Black Bat...

363 Pathfinder Goblins..................................4,655
      364 Vampirella Southern Gothic......................4,593
      370 Black Bat..............................................4 ,350
      387 Jennifer Blood........................................3,796
      388 Vampirella/Eva/Dracula Halloween Special...3,781
      389 Owl 4................................................. 3,780
      390 Army of Darkness/Reanimator One Shot......3,751
      399 The Spider 15.......................................3,515

Miss Fury sold a shade over 7000 in September (I can't find the book in the October sales chart) and Hornet sold about 6300.

So personally, I think both books with end at 12 until someone else comes up with an idea for a book that includes these characters. The only thing that makes me doubt that is that some books have been hovering around those sale totals (like Jennifer Blood and the Vampirella ongoing) for some time and have lasted 30+ issues.
      It's hard to say in today's market what's considered an acceptable number for Dynamite. The other thing that these figures don't take into account is TPB sales through bookstores, so that might be a large factor in whether something continues or not as well. But I guess we can presume that something close to 3500 copies is well within the danger zone, since we know The Spider is cancelled. But how close? Black Bat is selling almost 1000 copies more, Miss Fury at 7000 is twice that. Obviously this is only a fractional listing of current DE titles. I guess we need to compare to the other end of the range - what are the top-selling DE titles, and how many copies?
      Last edited by pulphero; 11-17-2013, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• New Writers?

Mark Waid is doing a terrific job on the Green Hornet. I hope he stays around for a long time. If he were to leave or if any other 1930s era title were to become in need of a writer, how about R. A. Jones? He wrote the Protectors for Malibu some years back and was quite good there. He has a strong interest in the 1930s having written The Fist of God which was set during that time. He just published a nove. "The Steel Ring" about Golden Age Nedor characters and that book was set in the 1930s as well. He would make a good fit with Dynamite's pulp erea books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Mark Waid is doing a terrific job on the Green Hornet. I hope he stays around for a long time. If he were to leave or if any other 1930s era title were to become in need of a writer, how about R. A. Jones? He wrote the Protectors for Malibu some years back and was quite good there. He has a strong interest in the 1930s having written The Fist of God which was set during that time. He just published a nove. "The Steel Ring" about Golden Age Nedor characters and that book was set in the 1930s as well. He would make a good fit with Dynamite's pulp era books.
          Huh. Didn't know about that. Just looked it up on Amazon. Actually, it was Jeff Deischer who wrote a couple of novels (The Golden Age and Mystico) about the Nedor/Standard/Better superheroes. Jones' book is about the Centaur heroes again (as in The Protectors), only this version is set in 1939. Adding it to my Wish List.

Both Deischer's The Golden Age and Jones' The Steel Ring are published by Westerntainment. Their website is here.

Comment

I guess we need to compare to the other end of the range - what are the top-selling DE titles, and how many copies?
            As a comparison, the Shadow books tend to sell around 10,000 and the Mars books are in the 6500 - 7500 range. The Red Sonja title was at about 15,000.

You're right about trade sales and since Bat doesn't have one out yet, we can't judge that. Maybe its success in that format will tip the scale one way or another.

And I would love to come across a good source of digital sales figures. Comixology displays their top sellers, but when they have a sale, thngs get skewed. There's a sale on now on Grant Morrison books, so various issues of Action Comics are peppered throughout. And they don't distinguish between individual issues and bundles. So it's tricky.

Comment

• Sales for Black Bat is low, but we can only hope that Dynamite is making a solid profit off of it despite the low sales. If the book generates cash than it will probably go on, but I guess time will tell....
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I was going to say the same thing about Bendis... but why rain on someone else's parade, since neither of these possibilities is a realistic source of worry.
                Yeah I usually am not a fan of Bendis either. I think he could be good on Hornet though, because his Daredevil run was amazing.

What do you think of Ron Fortier's campaign to get Dynamite to let him write Hornet?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnpisme View Post
                  Yeah I usually am not a fan of Bendis either. I think he could be good on Hornet though, because his Daredevil run was amazing.

What do you think of Ron Fortier's campaign to get Dynamite to let him write Hornet?
                  I agree, Daredevil represents the best of Bendis' Marvel universe work. The crime genre/street-level characters seem to be his forte. Powers is pretty good, too. Bendis is really good in the characterization and dialogue departments, and he is a master of working "the plot hook" that reels you in and keeps you reading. His major weakness is in resolving his big story arcs - his climaxes are usually weak and unsatisfying, and poorly thought-out logically (with an over-reliance on the cliche of a 'shocking' death of a character). More often than not, his climaxes aren't really even endings per se, more like segues into the next big event or story direction. Maybe that's why his Daredevil is so well regarded... he never ended it himself, but tossed the ball into Brubaker's court!

I REALLY hope Fortier's campaign succeeds! And there are a lot of good and very experienced writers out there that haven't lost their chops, but are no longer being employed by Marvel and DC. I think those are an untapped resource that Dynamite should take advantage of, given that their page rates are going to be much lower than the 'marquee' names out there. Yeah, the big names are an automatic draw for audience share, but balancing that against the cost factor and availability, and the fact that DE utilizing these older writers will draw audience from the same segment of older readers that fondly remember some of the classic characters DE licenses, I think it's a good bet. To the younger readers who don't recognize these older names, it's no different than using a younger upcoming writer who hasn't made a reputation for himself yet.

Comment

I agree, Daredevil represents the best of Bendis' Marvel universe work. The crime genre/street-level characters seem to be his forte. Powers is pretty good, too. Bendis is really good in the characterization and dialogue departments, and he is a master of working "the plot hook" that reels you in and keeps you reading. His major weakness is in resolving his big story arcs - his climaxes are usually weak and unsatisfying, and poorly thought-out logically (with an over-reliance on the cliche of a 'shocking' death of a character). More often than not, his climaxes aren't really even endings per se, more like segues into the next big event or story direction. Maybe that's why his Daredevil is so well regarded... he never ended it himself, but tossed the ball into Brubaker's court!

I REALLY hope Fortier's campaign succeeds! And there are a lot of good and very experienced writers out there that haven't lost their chops, but are no longer being employed by Marvel and DC. I think those are an untapped resource that Dynamite should take advantage of, given that their page rates are going to be much lower than the 'marquee' names out there. Yeah, the big names are an automatic draw for audience share, but balancing that against the cost factor and availability, and the fact that DE utilizing these older writers will draw audience from the same segment of older readers that fondly remember some of the classic characters DE licenses, I think it's a good bet. To the younger readers who don't recognize these older names, it's no different than using a younger upcoming writer who hasn't made a reputation for himself yet.
                    Yeah, regarding Fortier I totally agree. I would add that I believe he wouldn't be doing this if he didn't think he had a really good story to tell, which is most important, in my mind.

Comment

• Black Bat #8

What an issue! Not much action here but it was more or less a love story with some interesting overtones. Can't wait for you all go read it!!
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Another good issue, though more of a 'transitional' one, setting up the next episode.Best DE title atm.

Comment

• Black Bat #11

Price: $3.99
                          Shipping: Available Soon!
                          Related Products:

SKU: C72513020461511011
                          Rating: Teen +
                          Covers: Jae Lee
                          Writer: Brian Buccellato
                          Art: Ronan Cliquet
                          Genre: Super-Hero, Adventure
                          Publication Date: Apr 2014
                          Format: Comic Book
                          Page Count: 32 pages
                          UPC: 725130204615 11011
                          ON SALE DATE: April 2
                          Black Bat has managed to toe the line throughout his quest for redemption. But when someone close to him dies, will he finally cross that line and become a killer? Also, Oliver Snate's mystery guardian angel pulls back the curtain and finally reveals himself... propelling this story towards its gut-wrenching conclusion.
                          http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13020461511011

Actually, I believe this is suppose to be coming out on June 4th?
                          http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/B...at-11___447136

Comment

• Black Bat #12 (Final Issue)

Price: $3.99
                            Shipping: Available Soon!
                            Related Products:

SKU: C72513020461512011
                            Rating: Teen +
                            Covers: Jae Lee
                            Writer: Brian Buccellato
                            Art: Ronan Cliquet
                            Genre: Super-Hero, Adventure
                            Publication Date: May 2014
                            Format: Comic Book
                            Page Count: 32 pages
                            UPC: 725130204615 12011
                            ON SALE DATE: May 7
                            FINAL ISSUE! In the final chapter to this story, the Black Bat is confronted by the unforeseen consequences of his vigilante quest for redemption. He comes face to face with the shadowy villain that has been pulling all of the strings, and must decide how far he is willing to go to save the city.
                            http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13020461512011

Was suppose to be out May 7th, but we haven't even seen #11 yet . . . comiclist.com has it coming out on July 16th at present.
                            http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/B...er%29___449304

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                              On sale tomorrow (June 4th).

Comment

• SPOILERS AHOY!!

See, this is where I have a problem with the Black Bat. He's no hero. In this issue, he shoots a cop in the head. Not a corrupt, dirty cop. Just a cop doing his job. Shot dead in the line of duty. It's this kind of thing ("heroes" that aren't, really) that puts me off DC's New 52 (not coincidentally, Brian Buccellato's other job). Even The Punisher has a better moral code than the Black Bat. I can't get behind a protagonist killing the innocent because it's expedient to the situation. Bad guys, sure. They knew the risks when they committed the crimes.
                                Last edited by pulphero; 06-04-2014, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X