No announcement yet.

The Black Bat series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't know anything about this character so I don't know if I would be as gleeful about him as I am about Zorro, Green Hornet or Shadow, but.. . .

if you look at the promo image for the masks crossover you see a bat like figure in the sky between Kato and Zorro. . . not sure if it's him but maybe it is.

Comment

Yes, they named him in the Newsarama article on the series. This will be the third character (after The Phantom and The Spider) that DE has "adopted" from Moonstone Books. Can Domino Lady be far behind? I'm just glad that somebody is putting out books with these characters.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

*BUMP*

I recall reading somewhere (and I can't really remember where now, sorry) that THE BLACK BAT is already on the way from DE in 2013. Again, no images or information on the creative team mentioned that I can remember. Maybe they can do a MISS FURY series while they're at it. And I certainly wouldn't complain if THE GREEN LAMA or BLACK TERROR were to return in their own series (or miniseries) either.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
          if you look at the promo image for the masks crossover you see a bat like figure in the sky between Kato and Zorro. . . not sure if it's him but maybe it is.
          Spoiler Warning! So if you have not read Mask #1, you might want to avoid the remainder of this post.

Beyond this point, spoilers await......

We do see Anthony Quinn in the fist issue of Mask. He is the DA of New York City and is arrestted for contempt of court because he refuses to prosecute a vagrant under the new laws. So I expect we will be seeing The Black Bat appear with a couple of issues. Although I doubt that he will be similiar to the one from the pulps. I cannot see him being blinded, operated on, and returning as a masked crime fighter within the time span of the mini series.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane View Post
            I expect we will be seeing The Black Bat appear with a couple of issues. Although I doubt that he will be similiar to the one from the pulps. I cannot see him being blinded, operated on, and returning as a masked crime fighter within the time span of the mini series.
            Perhaps not exactly the same, but similar enough anyway. DE has already used "artistic license" in their versions of The Shadow, The Spider, and The Green Hornet, so we can expect the same with The Black Bat. We can assume that Tony Quinn has already experienced his origin story prior to the beginning of MASKS. That would allow them to explain it in flashback in a page or three. Or not even delve into his origin at all, but save it for his own series coming later in 2013. After all, we've yet to see origin stories of The Spider or The Shadow (that one we at least know is coming). I never really understood why it was so important for Quinn to keep the operation that restored his sight a big secret and pretend to still be blind (sure, obviously it throws off anyone suspicious that he may be the Black Bat, and keeps that "blind as a bat" motif). But really, the BIG secret is that while he was blinded, he developed his other senses to hyper-levels. While he predated Marvel's Daredevil, maybe it's not a bad thing for the purposes of today's comics for them to distinguish the two a little bit -- and eliminating the "Tony Quinn, District Attorney pretending to still be blind" vs. "Matt Murdock, Defense Attorney who actually is blind" angle, is the way to go. Oddly enough, The Black Bat was one of the few pulp hero series to begin with an origin story. Others were The Avenger and Captain Future. These characters came along comparatively late in the "character pulp" cycle. The origin story wasn't considered standard operating procedure for most of the earlier pulp heroes (although I suppose a case can be made that the first Doc Savage novel, The Man of Bronze, is an origin story of sorts).
            Last edited by positronic; 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

The Black Bat series MEGATHREAD!

Who's ready? Story below!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/blac...-dynamite.html

Comment

thank you for posting that!
                I have to add that to my pull list at the shop.
                The new costume looks good.
                Just wish they had a date when the first issue would be coming out.

Comment

A lot less excited about it than I had hoped to be. Looks like they've chucked most of the "pulp" flavor, in favor of a modern spin which just looks generic.

Ah well, I'll wait and see before totally writing it off.

Very sloppily written article by Newsarama's Chris Arrant, positively rife with misleading or just plain mis-information.

Have to say I find the costume design sort of uninspired-looking. Don't know why they wouldn't just keep the look used here on the cover of MASKS as interpreted by Alex Ross:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Masks #2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	48711
                  Last edited by positronic; 12-15-2012, 02:28 AM.

Comment

I would hope that the Black Bat series would spring out of Masks. I find District Attorney Anthony Quinn's character in Masks to be both intriguing and endearing. However, I may give this new series a try.

Comment

I'm so excited for this it isn't even funny, please continue to support this line of books Dynamite....your fans demand it!

Give us black bat!!!!!!

Comment

I know nothing of The Black Bat, but based on what I've researched about his character and the awesome look of his costume I can just tell that this book is going to resonate with me. I'm pumped for this release and I'm really jacked up about seeing him in action within Masks over the coming months.

I'm betting on this book doing well, I'm hoping the titles creators have some good stories planned and I'm hoping the creators are going to be somewhat known talent and not just a couple of random guys. Afterall, readers follow creative teams as much (if not more) than they follow characters these days.

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                          I'm pumped for this release and I'm really jacked up about seeing him in action within Masks over the coming months.
                          Maybe they should call the book 'Brian Buccellato's Black Bat' (as opposed to the 'Black Bat Year One' appearing in MASKS). Seems analogous to the situation with Kevin Smith's Green Hornet vs. Green Hornet Year One. They're similar, but really aren't the same character.

Comment

Black bat has my kind of character. Hes cool looking, seems dark, and he has a classic feel to him that will attract new and old readers. im going to be very excited for Black bat once its released.

Comment

Really looking forward to this one as well. Seems to be a lot of people out there completely ignorant of the character and calling him this or that. If they only knew how good these Dynamite reincarnations have been and how great many of these characters are to begin with.

Comment

This title has me more excited than anything at the moment. I was somewhat excited for Miss Fury, last year I was through the roof for The Shadow and for The Spider, and the Green Hornet and Shadow Year One books had me crawling with anticipation as well. But the Black Bat has me screaming and shouting for it's release, I seriously cannot wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X